Do you know these British stars

stuart.uk

Do you know these British stars

Post by stuart.uk »

I just thought I'd do a little quiz for you regarding British film stars. The first one is hopefully quite easy.

1-Born in Victorian England and was from a theatrical family. From the humble beginings of the London workhouse, he found himself in Hollywood where he became an actor, writer, producer, director, composer and movie mogul.

2-Most British actors get to Hollywood via British movies. However, this actor did it the other way round. An ex-army officer, he stated as an extra in the early 30s and later on was side-kick twice to a famous swashbuckler. He didn't make his first Brit movie until WW2, where he combined being a real war-time hero and a movie star.

3-A former 19th Century England cricket Captain, who in old age was one of Hollywood's greatest character actors in the 30s and 40s.

4-A famous British child star of the 1940s, who had her own daytime tv series at age 12. She made a series of films with Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison in the late 40s, as well as other movies through the 50s. In the 60s when her film career appeared on the wane she recorded a song which became an international hit, turning her in to one of the most dureable female singers of the last 45-yrs.

5-Argueably the most famous British actress of her geneneration, the 30s and 40s, within her own country, but alas not in America. She played some of the most famous women in British history, Florence Nightingale, Amy Jonhson, Edith Cavel and Queen Victoria

6-The British Elvis, who made a several rock an roll movies in the 50s, including The Duke Wore Jeans. He turned himself into a family entertainer and in the mid 60s made a West-End show that transfered to Broadway, then again to Hollywood. He's danced with both Astaire on film and Kelly on television. He also played IMO Gene's most famous role at the London Palladium

7-A male British child star if the late 40s. He made a succession of movies, his most famous one with David Lean and war film with Jose Fererra. In the mid 50s he made the movie Idol On Parade, where paroding Elvis, he played a pop star in the army. The title song was a hit and he had a brief successful pop career in the early 60s. However, his greatest success was on the West-End and Broadway stage with a series of hit shows, which as well as starring, he helped compose

8-This actress made a great entrance in the very first episode of Upstairs Downstairs, as cheeky young Edwardian woman on her way to an interview for a job as a housemaid. The series was a global hit and thought this actress left the show early, she reprised her role for Thomas and Sarah. However, she really made her name in a classic 80s movie as a down drodden housewife, who finds herself while on holiday. She also played a British Shirley Temple like polititian in The Ambassador

9-This British actress made her name in G.B as Nurse Megan in the medical soap Casualty. However, her real acclaim came as the mother of a well known Irish writer in an 80s movie, where she won best supporting actress in Hollywood. She still occasionally reprises her role of Megan.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I've though of some more

10-This actress was the grandaughter of a famous polititian, who was the leader of The Labour Party in the 1930s. Sadly he died, before he could see his beautiful relation hit it big in Hollywood. She was mainly known for her stage shows rather than her movies, until she entered her 60s that is. She is now best known for playing an American Miss. Marple like slueth, only her character is an attractive modern day woman in comparion to the British spinster.

12-This actress has played both Margaret Thatcher and The Queen Mother. She was one of Britain's top starlets in the late 50s, though spent much of the 60s guesting in shows like The Saint and The Baron. She also did The Tamarind Seed with Julie Andrews

13-This actress made her film debut oppisite Scottish actor Stanley Baxter in The Fast Lady. Not long after she made a kitchen sink drama with Tom Courtney. This was the begining of her period as perhaps the most iconic young British actress of the 60s. 40-yrs on she's still beautiful and still working at the very top level.

14-This actor is known internationally for a John Ford film set in Africa. However, in the UK it's widely accepted his most famous role was in a gritty 50s Naval war film in 1952. He was also a ladies man in two of Dirk Bogarde's 'Doctor' movies. Now Knighted, he's still working in series Judge John Deed with Martin Shaw

15-This is an actor famous for two catchprases Ding Dong, which he first used in Carry-On Nurse and his even more famous Hello, which he also used as the title for his recent biography. He recently co-starred with Peter O'Toole in Venus.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I'm not very good at this, but I'm pretty sure that #3 is C. Aubrey Smith and #10 is Angela Lansbury. And I think that #4 is Petula Clark and #14 is Donald Sinden.

The others are probably names I'm familiar with, but I'm more than a little lost on those.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Well Done Charlie T, You're right on all four

I didn't think C Aubrey Smith was all that easy and I thought Donald Sinden might be a hard one.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

#1 right off the cuff, is Charles Chaplin.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Chaplin is right
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'll only answer one Stuart seeing as I'm more in the know

No 2 is David Niven.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Right enough Alison
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Here are more:

#12 - Sylvia Sims
#6 - Tommy Steele
#9 - Brenda Fricker
#15 - Leslie Phillips
#7 - Anthony Newley
#8 - Pauline Collins

And I just noticed that there is no #11. :shock:

That's all I've got for now.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Well done Charlie T
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Only two missed out as far as I can tell. Julie Christie was the 60s actress and Anna Neagle the one who played famous historical figures.