IN COMMON

feaito

Post by feaito »

I do not know for sure, but something they did had in common is that both belonged to jewish families of German? descent. I don't know how that fact could have been detrimental to Johnny's swimming career, but then in those days there was more racism and some people were prejudiced against jewish people; even some Hollywood moguls themselves!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:I do not know for sure, but something they did had in common is that both belonged to jewish families of German? descent. I don't know how that fact could have been detrimental to Johnny's swimming career, but then in those days there was more racism and some people were prejudiced against jewish people; even some Hollywood moguls themselves!
You are on the right track, and since there hasn't been much response, I'll spill the beans:

Both Robinson and Weissmuller were born in Romania, a fact which wasn't hidden by Robinson. However, Weissmuller (don't think he was Jewish, although Robinson was) listed his birthplace as Pennsylvania, where he grew up, in order not to have trouble getting a passport so that he could travel internationally with the US Olympic Team as a swimmer.

Tarzan of Romania. Has a nice ring to it, I think.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I did not know that Johnny Weissmuller had been born in Romania. As for him being of jewish descent, I remember reading in a book that during the Nazi regime in Germany, the Tarzan movies starring Johnny were banned due to his jewish origins.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:I did not know that Johnny Weissmuller had been born in Romania. As for him being of jewish descent, I remember reading in a book that during the Nazi regime in Germany, the Tarzan movies starring Johnny were banned due to his jewish origins.
Some accounts of his life I read say that only one parent was Jewish, but of course that would have been enough for the Nazis, woudn't it? Think what the German movie-going public missed!
feaito

Post by feaito »

jdb1 wrote:Think what the German movie-going public missed!
They indeed missed a lot!
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Can you tell me what Bud Abbott had in common with Michael Wilding?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Here's a clue:

The thing these two men had in common was something that probably would not have been publicized, or even spoken about, in their time. Nowadays, people are much more open about such things.

It has nothing to do with their professional careers, except that it is to their credit that they were willing and able to work successfully despite it. There was very little help available in the past, and it would certainly have been treated as a secret.
CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

They were both epileptic.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

CharlieT is correct.

And now, can you tell me what Joan Fontaine has in common with Ruth Chatterton?
feaito

Post by feaito »

Both were licensed pilots?
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

feaito wrote:Both were licensed pilots?
Yes. You've done it again!
precoder

Post by precoder »

Aside from their association with Florenz Ziegfeld, what did Marilyn Miller and Olive Thomas have in common ?
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

precoder wrote:Aside from their association with Florenz Ziegfeld, what did Marilyn Miller and Olive Thomas have in common ?

They were both married to Jack Pickford (but not at the same time).
precoder

Post by precoder »

Apologies for the delay jdb1 ... I'm half forgetful ...

You are correct that being Jack Pickford ...

:P :P :P
I absolutely adore movies. Even bad ones. I don't like pretentious ones, but a good bad movie, you must admit, is great. ~ Roddy McDowell