It’s Up to Y O U !!!

Lucky Vassall

It’s Up to Y O U !!!

Post by Lucky Vassall »

You’re working late in the video store (probably the last one in the country, but it’s a small town).

The door opens, your visitor is over nine feet tall, bright green skin, orange hair, and one big yellow eye.

He holds out a box he is carrying, and a voice comes out of it:

“Greetings, earthling, I am {sqwark} from {sqwark} {sqwark}, representing the {sqwark} tribunal. We have been watching you for {click} innumerable earth years, and it has been decided that your planet should be retired before you are able to cause off-world problems. However, I have been sent to see if there is any reason we should give you a second chance. What demonstration can you offer?”

You turn to the shelves. Hoping it will serve to show the goodness of humanity, you select __________________

YOUR MISSION, should you choose to accept it, is to FINISH THE STORY.

Sorry, one title to a customer, but feel free to elaborate on the reason for your choice. And, not to put too much pressure on you, remember the fate of the entire Earth depends on your choice.
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
RedRiver

Re: It’s Up to Y O U !!!

Post by RedRiver »

Well...with such a noble responsibility entrusted to me, I would have to go with IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. Some other classics are just as good. Maybe even better. But Capra's Christmas fable does more to inspire hope and gratitude than just about any other. If (Sqwark) seeks evidence that we, as a species, have heart and soul; that we have the ability to produce lasting art, this is our best bet for convincing him/her/it.

I considered Chaplin's CITY LIGHTS. Funny, poignant, creative. GRAPES OF WRATH is disturbing, but it sure is good. GONE WITH THE WIND says more about who we are as a film culture than any other movie. But I'll introduce (Sqwark) and co. to George, Harry and the gang at Bedford Falls. If that doesn't save the human race, we're doomed!
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Although all you thoughts are good, I think you picked the best of the bunch. As you mentioned, there are a lot of good possibilities, hope some others will try their hand.

Then I'll reveal the right answer {?}

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I would give them the DVD of one of the greatest comedies of all time ... Stanley Kramer's Masterpiece ... Drum roll please ...

So we can share our laughter to others ...
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

If laughter is truly universal, you will certainly have saved the world. Or at least we can all go out as insane as that wild bunch Kramer assembled!

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
Lucky Vassall

Post by Lucky Vassall »

Lucky Vassall wrote:You’re working late in the video store (probably the last one in the country, but it’s a small town).

The door opens, your visitor is over nine feet tall, bright green skin, orange hair, and one big yellow eye.

He holds out a box he is carrying, and a voice comes out of it:

“Greetings, earthling, I am {sqwark} from {sqwark} {sqwark}, representing the {sqwark} tribunal. We have been watching you for {click} innumerable earth years, and it has been decided that your planet should be retired before you are able to cause off-world problems. However, I have been sent to see if there is any reason we should give you a second chance. What demonstration can you offer?”
Thanks for some really good suggestions. Here’s my solution:

You turn to the shelves. Hoping it will serve to show the goodness of humanity, you select All’s Quiet on the Western Front, explaining that “It’s a slow process, but we are learning and just need more time.”

Then, just to be on the safe side, you climb up on the counter, look him directly in the eye and say, “Klatu Barada Nicktoe!”

THE END

Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]