SPOILERS!

Dargo

Re: SPOILERS!

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 17th, 2024, 6:26 pm
Next:
The villain seems to defy gravity for a moment before falling a long way to the ground.
'Die Hard' ???
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: March 17th, 2024, 8:23 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 17th, 2024, 6:26 pm
Next:
The villain seems to defy gravity for a moment before falling a long way to the ground.
'Die Hard' ???
No, that is not the movie, but here is a clue:

The climatic moment described is directly inspired by a similar climactic moment from an earlier movie.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

'Saboteur' ???

(...or would this be the "earlier movie" you speak of here?)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Dargo wrote: March 18th, 2024, 1:18 pm 'Saboteur' ???

(...or would this be the "earlier movie" you speak of here?)

SABOTEUR is not the the movie the "spoiler" is for or the earlier movie with the scene that was the direct inspiration, although there is a peripheral connection . . .

Another clue:
The performer who played the villain won an Oscar for a role in a movie released a few years before the movie in question was released.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

It's time for another clue, but first a re-cap . . .

SPOILER:
The villain seems to defy gravity for a moment before falling a long way to the ground

First clue:
The climatic moment described is directly inspired by a similar climactic moment from an earlier movie.

Second clue:
The performer who played the villain won an Oscar for a role in a movie released a few years before the movie in question was released.

And, now, the new clue:
The villain is a female.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

High Anxiety?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: March 20th, 2024, 12:46 pm High Anxiety?
Ah yes! I think you've got it, Swithin.

Looks like you're the one who'll get fruit cup as an award and I won't for being tardy to the answer here, huh...

;)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: March 20th, 2024, 3:20 pm
Swithin wrote: March 20th, 2024, 12:46 pm High Anxiety?
Ah yes! I think you've got it, Swithin.

Looks like you're the one who'll get fruit cup as an award and I won't for being tardy to the answer here, huh...

;)
I don't know, we need to await the imprimatur of Holden. But I wouldn't mind a fruit cup, I'm on a diet.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fruit cups for all!
The movie is indeed Mel Brooks's HIGH ANXIETY.
The villain who falls to her death is played by the wonderful Cloris Leachman, who had won an Oscar a few years earlier for her role in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW.
The climatic sequence in the tower was directly inspired by the final sequence in Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO.
HIGH ANXIETY was actually a parody of Hitchcock's movies, and Brooks dedicated his movie to the "Master of Suspense."

HIGH ANXIETY is a favorite for me and the sweetie. In fact, many of the lines have begun part of our private code. One time when we were at a gathering, we both looked each other simultaneously and muttered "The drapes" in reaction to someone's evasive response to a question.

Your turn, Swithin.
All eyes are on you.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Just a little side comment to come before Swithin starts us off anew here...

So Holden, your comment about Mel Brooks dedicating 'High Anxiety' to Hitchcock and by use of what I would've thought was his universally well-known mantle of "The Master of Suspense" has reminded me of some clickbait I came upon the other day. The clickbait's title was something such as "The Ten Best Horror Movies Ever Made". After I took the bait and opened the link, one of the movies mentioned was Hitchcock's 'Psycho'. And then I read the following comment made by the person who posted said clickbait and who evidently believes themselves to be some kind of expert cinephile: "They didn't call Hitchcock The Master of Horror for nothing!"

And so I guess my point here is...well...I sure wish people would get their facts straight before they submit their thoughts into the Internet. Aah, but yeah, I know, like this will ever happen, huh! ;)

(...okay Swithin, whatcha got for us now?)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

This movie opens with two children fighting over planks of wood.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:48 pm This movie opens with two children fighting over planks of wood.
At the end of the film, the lead character tells the other that she's forgotten her gloves, he will bring them to her.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

It's probably not it, but 'Kings Row' is coming to mind here.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 3:46 pm It's probably not it, but 'Kings Row' is coming to mind here.
No, it's not. Although I don't want to set you on the wrong track, some of the film has the feel of Kings Row. (But I've always felt the tale of Aragorn and Arwen as depicted in LOTR reminds me of the couple in the film we're going for.)

But you've earned another clue:

The film is based on a book by an author who had another of his books adapted for film a few years earlier, and whose granddaughter had a book adapted for a very famous film a few years later.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 7:36 pm
Dargo wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 3:46 pm It's probably not it, but 'Kings Row' is coming to mind here.
No, it's not. Although I don't want to set you on the wrong track, some of the film has the feel of Kings Row. (But I've always felt the tale of Aragorn and Arwen as depicted in LOTR reminds me of the couple in the film we're going for.)

But you've earned another clue:

The film is based on a book by an author who had another of his books adapted for film a few years earlier, and whose granddaughter had a book adapted for a very famous film a few years later.
The film is a Hollywood film from the classic period. It has been called one of the strangest, most beautiful films of its era. It was particularly admired by European filmmakers, including Luis Bunuel. It has also been called (by someone who should know) "a triumph of surrealist thought."