Pork Chop Hill

mrsl

Pork Chop Hill

Post by mrsl »

I missed this one the last time it was shown on TCM, and recall seeing it as a teenager, but then it was only to drool over Gregory Peck, so the story meant nothing to me. Finally today I watched it. I have to say, considering the condition the Iraq war is in, this movie is quite timeless and telling.

Hearing Woody Strode saying he didn't care about Korea was all too true, I'm sure, the only difference is that the South Koreans DID want to have freedom from their Communist government and wanted our help in obtaining that freedom.

The fight to hold an unimportant hill that had no use to either side was equally significant as we are holding certain sections of Iraq where no Iraqi military are stationed is causing only casualties for our soldiers and the innocent civilians in the areas.

There is a lot more, but perhaps someone else would like to state their own opinions.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The waste of war is nothing new. I have been watching a documentary series on WWI. That one takes top prize. For a war that was started in the most ridiculous manner, escalated because of promises no one had the nerve to disown it continued to amaze for the number of lives lost and material used for so little gain during the middle of the war. WWII for all it's destruction and loss of life at least had a more justifiable reason than the first.

Spending weeks over a piece of ground with little value was standard operating procedure by the time Korea care around.

I'm sure Iraq has its share but there are places that we may be the only protection civilians have for now.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I've never sat down and watched this end-to-end, but I've seen it twice while doing other things (burning films off of my DVD recorder), and so have probably seen about 90 - 95% of it.

What I was struck by was just the pointlessness of the thing. It takes place at the very end of the war when there was really no point in further killing...and it takes place over an insignificant parcel of ground with no value whatever.

So basically, we are talking 'death by pride'. Because at this point, that is the only thing they are fighting for. And the worst part of the thing is that it's not the soldiers-present's pride - it is the commander's pride - a commander who is not even there, but who is safely back behind the lines! Here these guys are, trying to take a worthless hill while they are vastly out-manned and out-gunned. And for no good reason whatever.

I was most pleased when I heard Robert Osbourne's commentary about Gregory Peck, and how he wanted so badly to do this film that he helped secure the rights himself. Good for him! I've always adored him anyway, but it's good to see that on top of being a fabulous actor, he cared about a message such as the one sent in this film.
My wife said she'd help young people, ... That's what I'd do. Help young people, then buy a big motor home and get out of town.
~ Gary Cooper
ken123

Re: Pork Chop Hill

Post by ken123 »

Back in the 1970's director Lewis Milestone was being interviewed about his career,he mentioned that the critics really panned this film because it was so left wing. Mr Milestone, a liberal, pointed out that the screenplay by James Webb a Republican. Mr. Webb also wrote the screenplay for The Big Country and the original Cape Fear, among others. I haven had the book in which Mr Milestone was interviewed for year. 8)
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Lewis Milestone is a very uneven director,but IMHO this is one of this better later efforts. :D
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I like Pork Chop Hill much better than All Quiet on the Western Front.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

ken123 wrote:I like Pork Chop Hill much better than All Quiet on the Western Front.
I agree with ken123 - All Quiet on the Western Front - is a tad too long and I really don't care for it all. Sad to say that; but its true that I've seen Western Front twice in my lifetime and after watching the second time - I decided its not worth seeing it again. Something about that movie bothers me ... and I just can't put my finger on it.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

As much as I recognize the sadness and the frustration of this movie, I just can't appreciate it as cinema. Yes, meaninglessness figures directly into the plot. But that backfires in the telling of the story. They talk about this. They talk about that. They're powerless to change it. And so am I! Somebody do something. Please.

It reminds me, in tone if not in plot, of another somber war movie, THE VICTORS. Really don't like that one! These things are so unpleasant. And, please, don't remind me that war itself is same. OBJECTIVE, BURMA manages to entertain. THE LONGEST DAY is a blast. PORK CHOP HILL? I'll have the chicken!