Richard Todd: Action and Adventure Star

Rita Hayworth

Re: Richard Todd: Action and Adventure Star

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I'll be brief, I do like Richard Todd; and he's one of my favorites too. I love him in Dambusters 1954 Film and others as well.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll definitely keep my eye out for it, Jez!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a film I've earmarked to watch too. After watching Patricia Neal in Face in the Crowd not long ago, I'd like to watch her in something else too.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Just a heads-up, tomorrow night TCM is spotlighting Richard Todd with 3 of his films; THE HASTY HEART (1950), A MAN CALLED PETER (1955) and CHASE A CROOKED SHADOW (1958). I've not seen CROOKED SHADOW before, it also stars Anne Baxter and Herbert Lom - looking forward to this one!

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/4 ... 11-18.html
charliechaplinfan

Chase a Crooked Shadow is brilliant, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't wait. My girl has a sleepover happening tonight downstairs, so I can retire to the bedroom at 8 with Richard Todd.... :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

good luck with that! Better DVR it just to be on the safe side....

Mom, we need more food.
Mom, where's the remote?
Mom, ______ just got sick
MOM!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Luckily, there was only one spill last night, water (whew!) and no vomiting that I know of. :D

However, there were times when they were so loud, trying not to be heard by mom and dad, that I couldn't concentrate on my movies! The cut-off point was 11:30, and at 1:00 am I had to go down and tell them to shut up and get some sleep. Ah, the joys of motherhood! Now today I look like this Image and they are all bright eyes and bushy tailed.

I really liked Chase a Crooked Shadow, but I was not prepared for the ending, which I can't talk about because Doug Fairbanks Jr. told me not to. I do wish Anne Baxter and Richard had gotten together somehow. I know I know.... he was her brother..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
charliechaplinfan

I sympathise, been there, done that, said I'll never do it again, they didn't sleep until 5. Well, at least you had Richard Todd to keep you company. I can't say I looked as cute as that little kitty after our sleepover.

It's an ending I'd never have guessed.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

guess I'm the odd man out here. I liked the twist, but I didn't like the movie. Women being driven insane is not my cuppa...
Oh, well, can't like every thing that comes along. I like him, but not in this one!!!!
charliechaplinfan

I loved the film, not so much him because he's cold in it, I prefer him warm. Did anyone catch any of his other pictures?
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't really see the other two. I watched A Man Called Peter, but with the sound turned off, because I didn't want to wake Andrew. It looked good, he had a scene where he breaks down because his wife was in the hospital, I wish I could have turned it up to hear what he said, but he did cry. By the time I did turn it up the scene was over.

One thing that did bother me about the Peter Marshall movie - he was very primly dressed, even scenes where he was supposed to be playing in the backyard with his boy. He had ramrod straight posture and his shirts and pants were pressed and starched so completely they could have stood by themselves! I wanted to knock him down and roll him around on the ground to loosen him up, like Tracy Lord does to George Kittredge in The Philadelphia Story. :D
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Kingrat - Yes, I did get to see it, but had mixed feelings. I really liked the cinematography, the location, the performances (especially Todd), and that was some twist at the end! But like Knitty, I have a problem with the "woman in peril" aspects of this, which really hampered my enjoyment. Even though, I would recommend the film, and might re-visit it again to analyse the plot development, now that I know the ending.

And I rewatched Hasty Heart and blubbered heavily when Richard re-dons his kilt at the end.