The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
- Audrey Hepburn

TCM MBA Awards for 2008

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

Lzcutter
Administrator

TCM MBA Awards for 2008

Postby Lzcutter » December 20th, 2008, 1:44 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to make everyone aware of a great event going on over at TCM City. The 2008 MBA Committee has been hard at work the last few weeks putting the finishing touches on all of this and we wanted to let you know so that you could check your PM boxes over there and get your ballot!

If for some reason, you didn't get a ballot and would like one please let me know!

Here's the official announcement:

As this year winds down, it seems everyone is giving - or getting - awards.

A handful of Foreign Journalists will give out the Golden Globes.

Dick Clark has awarded his AMAs.

The Kennedy Center has its "Honors".

TVLand even gives recognition to old television shows.

And it wouldn't be a surprise to see Mr. Blackwell rise from the dead to announce his annual "Worst-Dressed" list one last time.

As a TCM viewer, are you feeling kinda left out? We were too.

2008 has been an amazing year on Turner Classic Movies and some members of these Message Boards decided it was time to recognize and remember all that good stuff from the past 12 months.

Therefore -

Yep, we're giving out MBAs (aka the "Message Board Awards")

Shortly, members of these Forums should receive a ballot giving you the opportunity to select your "favorite" TCM events of 2008. If a ballot doesn't automatically arrive in your PM Mailbox, a member can request a ballot be sent to them through the PM system or by posting a request in this thread. We want everyone to take part and make known what on TCM (or TCM.com) was special to them this year.

There are Seventeen Categories of TCM Events on which to vote. They were compiled using the "Primetime Grid" schedules available each month here at TCM.com and through other online resources.

The categories are arranged in a straight forward, self-explanatory manner. They are as wide-ranging as was possible given the limit to the resources available. There are likely events not included on the ballot that many members were fond of this year - including many memorable daytime programming salutes or events. We take complete responsiblity for that and can only offer a sincere apology and the explanation that there just wasn't time or resources available to do justice to those events. Maybe next year.

Because we don't want this activity to be staid or dull, we fully encourage members to lobby, recruit or politic for their "favorites" with threads, images or other materials devoted to their "favorites" in the hopes of swaying votes from general membership. Feel free to try and convice the membership "Star Of The Month X" was more memorable than "Star Of The Month Y" - and you don't have to take out a full-page ad in the Hollywood Reporter to do so.

But we would like to discourage everyone from listing their complete ballot selections in the Message Boards. What good is having an awards program if everyone announces their selections publicly? We are looking forward to revealing to everyone the membership's "TCM Favorites Of 2008" in an Announcement Thread after the first of the year. So please keep your actual ballot private.

Plus we have a second activity planned for the Message Boards themselves which will allow everyone to discuss publically a separate category of nominees which was too large to go into the MBA ballot itself. This way, everyone will have the opportunity to be vocal on some choices. (And we encourage everyone to do so.)

The PM you will receive with your ballot includes instructions on how to fill it out and return it for tabulating. Counting the ballots will be done by the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committeee will keep records of who has been sent a ballot and will only count the first returned ballot from a member. (If there is the appearance of an abuse of the process, (Ballot Box Stuffing, etc.) the Nominating Committee reserves the right to reject ballot requests or returned ballots of a suspicious nature.)

If anyone has questions or is confused on any aspect of the MBAs, feel free to post inquiries in this thread and we'll be sure to answer.

We hope everyone participates in the 2008 TCM Message Board Awards and has some fun in the process. It may not be "the best of times" ( "Bastille Day Salute", July 2008) in the country right now but we can make it a bit more fun - regardless of what TCM said ( "No Can Do" Evening, July 2008) a few months back.

The 2008 Forum Nominating Committee of the TCM Message Board Awards.
____

If anyone has any questions, just let me know!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » December 21st, 2008, 11:20 am

I'm just waiting to see Opie's interview before casting my vote, Lynn.

It's a fun idea and I have one or two favorites I may "campaign" for. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

Lzcutter
Administrator

Postby Lzcutter » January 3rd, 2009, 7:13 pm

Just a reminder that the polls close tonight at midnight, PST for the MBA awards.

So, if you haven't filled out your ballot yet, please do so and return it to the committee before midnight tonight!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

mrsl

Postby mrsl » January 3rd, 2009, 11:29 pm

Lynn:

Too late now but:

What ballot? and where is it?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************

Lzcutter
Administrator

Postby Lzcutter » January 4th, 2009, 12:49 am

Anne,

You would have received it in your TCM City PM box. It's not too late if you want to fill out and turn it in.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Birdy

Postby Birdy » January 13th, 2009, 11:13 pm

Could somebody post a note here when I should check the TCM site and where when the results are up? I don't go over there that much but would like to see it.

Moraldo Rubini

Postby Moraldo Rubini » January 14th, 2009, 2:47 am

Birdy wrote:Could somebody post a note here when I should check the TCM site and where when the results are up? I don't go over there that much but would like to see it.

I hear that! I only found my ballot there yesterday. :cry:

Lzcutter
Administrator

Postby Lzcutter » January 14th, 2009, 2:56 am

Birdy,

From what I understand the guys from Price/Waterhouse have just finished tabulating the votes and now the presentation speeches are being prepared.

You know how long winded some of those presenters can be.

I'll be sure to post when the winners are announced.

It should be very, very soon.

As for you Marco, it just goes to show that you should check in at your mailbox at TCM City more often. That is what a certain K would likely say. He'd do it much nicer than that though and for that I apologize.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Return to “Announcements”