The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. NEW SOFTWARE

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » February 28th, 2009, 11:01 am

I suppose most of you are aware of the recent hacking we've had on the site. Some real *expletive deleted* scumbags think that, for whatever reason, they'll accomplish something by doing so.

This has forced me to do something that I've been wanting to do for a while but haven't had time to do -- upgrade to version 3.0 of the phpBB software that's at the core of SSO.

The bad news -- it doesn't look like SSO right now. I can make it look like the SSO that we all know and love, but that will take some time. Search needs to be completely rebuilt. There's a lot of work to be done here, and as you all know, this is a labor of love for me and not a labor of necessity (like keeping food on the table), so it will take a few weeks before everything looks right.

The good news: phpBB3 is MUCH more secure than the old software, and much less vulnerable to hackers. There are also a lot of new features to play with, although some (like YouTube embedding) may not work in the immediate future.

I'm sorry for all the trouble, but hopefully we'll have a more stable and more fun SSO going forward.

My love to all of you. Thank you for your patience in this trying and difficult time for me and all of us.

moira finnie
Administrator

Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. NEW SOFTWARE

Postby moira finnie » February 28th, 2009, 11:36 am

Thank you Jon!! I belong to a couple of websites using phpBB3 and find that it is much easier to use and love the clean look of it. I really appreciate your hard work and skill here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Dewey1960

Postby Dewey1960 » February 28th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Ditto, Jon. All of us here are behind any decision you make relating to the betterment of this already fantastic place!

knitwit45

Postby knitwit45 » February 28th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Thanks Jon, for all the hard work you've been putting into this site. It looks great, and I'm sure the little kinks will be smoothed out quickly. It already has a cleaner look!

Nancy

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » February 28th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Hi! I'm glad to see this, and happy to think it will be more secure. It NEEDS to be, that's for sure. I appreciate your hard work, Jon, very much. It's nice to have an "Oasis" remain just that.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

silentscreen

Postby silentscreen » February 28th, 2009, 3:02 pm

Thanks for all your hard work Jon! I was having a lot of problems after getting onto the site. I'm sure that anything that has to be done will all be for the better. We all appreciate your dedication! :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » February 28th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Youtube embedding is fixed.

However, youtube embeds done under the old software are now broken unless they are manually fixed -- see my note under General Chat.

Keep watching this space for more updates. If you have a specific problem, please email me.

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Postby Sue Sue Applegate » February 28th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Thank you so much for your interest and attention to the SSO. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.
Christy
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2018
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor

klondike

Postby klondike » February 28th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Thank you most sincerely, Jon, for all your Good Work, and in particular this most recent rescue: why, Randolph Scott couldn't have saved the day any more keenly! :D
Speaking of which, would you mind dopping those hackers off at the motor pool on the Classic Cinema College campus? Security chief Bill Hopper & "the boys" have a few questions they want to ask them! :twisted:

feaito

Postby feaito » February 28th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Jon,

Thanks for all your hard work, care, generosity and concern. I honestly appreciate it very much.

Fernando

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » March 1st, 2009, 5:15 am

Thanks Jon! :D It looks brilliant! I am so glad the site is now free of all those unwanted script. :wink:

Garbomaniac

Postby Garbomaniac » March 1st, 2009, 2:58 pm

I've not been around for a while, and was naturally taken aback by the changes; however, since they are all for the good, I am behind them 100%. I must have missed the ugliness, thank goodness. I have had enough of that on a different forum. So, keep up the vigilance, and I actually like the look of the forum at present.

One question: Is there a spell check available when writing these messages? I don't think I have seen one before, but maybe I've just missed it.

charliechaplinfan

Postby charliechaplinfan » March 2nd, 2009, 2:25 pm

Jon this looks absolutely brilliant, I've been thrown for a couple of days not been able to get online, looking at this it was well worth it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » March 3rd, 2009, 9:39 am

There is one aspect of the new display I find a bit annoying: the fact that the avatar and poster's name are now located on the right-hand side rather than the left-hand side of the screen. I don't know for you, but I find it hard to adjust. My eyes always go direct for the left-hand side. I am a member on another forum which uses the same software and when they upgraded it, they also tried the right-hand side before going back to the left-hand side.
Nothing crucial, but I thought I should mention it as I am probably not the only one 'disturbed'! :wink:

klondike

Postby klondike » March 3rd, 2009, 10:10 am

Ann Harding wrote:There is one aspect of the new display I find a bit annoying: the fact that the avatar and poster's name are now located on the right-hand side rather than the left-hand side of the screen. I don't know for you, but I find it hard to adjust. My eyes always go direct for the left-hand side. I am a member on another forum which uses the same software and when they upgraded it, they also tried the right-hand side before going back to the left-hand side.
Nothing crucial, but I thought I should mention it as I am probably not the only one 'disturbed'! :wink:

Sometimes it seems the smaller adjustments we need to make are more difficult than the big ones.
Pity us Baby Boomers who, for the most part, learnt to drive on what we then called "standard transmissions" (now called manuals, 'cause they ain't the standard anywhere, anymore); over time, practically everything driveable got upgraded to an automatic transmission, and all of a sudden, the right hand's taking coffee breaks on the steering wheel, and ol' mr. left foot's got nothin' to do at all!
Occasionally, I still jump into a heavy-duty work truck on some worksite, & jam around just to keep myself fresh; I'd practice in the wife's little '90 turbo coupe, but there's just no room for the old Sled Dog to slide down behind that wheel!
Anyway, I'm sure we will all adjust just fine to all the new, and mostly improved, features here on our reborn Silver Screen Oasis: still air-conditioned, still open 24 hours a day, seven days a week . .

Return to “Announcements”