The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Future of the forum

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

SSO Admins
Administrator

Future of the forum

Postby SSO Admins » June 5th, 2009, 12:37 pm

It's been a tough few months for SSO. First we were hacked by spammers. Then we were down for over a week. Then we suffered database corruption and were down for another week or so. I thank all of you for standing with us through all these problems. I want you to know that I take these things seriously, and work to get us up and running as soon as possible.

I also want to let you know that we've taken some steps to ensure that it doesn't happen again. First off, the admins are doing weekly backups of the database that is the core of SSO. This is what contains all the posts, user data, etc. Second, I've done a backup of the entire site, including the software. That means that neither hacker problems nor database corruption will hurt us -- at the very worst we'll lose a few day's posts.

Hopefully the worst is behind us. I think that these steps will enable us to recover from problems quickly and with minimal impact on all of you and your contributions to the forum.

Lastly, I apologize for not implementing these steps sooner. I should have, and for that I'm sorry. I'm also sorry for all the problems everyone has had, and hope that it will be much smoother sailing from here on.

knitwit45

Re: Future of the forum

Postby knitwit45 » June 5th, 2009, 12:58 pm

Gee, Jon, we all realize that each of you have real lives, commitments, obligations, family, and other demands on your time. We all appreciate this place so very much, and are happy to be a part of such a great family. Thanks for all you do, and thanks for all the extra effort you have invested in keeping us together!

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » June 5th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Oh my gosh, you have no reason to apologize! You have done a great job here.

charliechaplinfan

Postby charliechaplinfan » June 5th, 2009, 1:38 pm

knitwit45 wrote:Gee, Jon, we all realize that each of you have real lives, commitments, obligations, family, and other demands on your time. We all appreciate this place so very much, and are happy to be a part of such a great family. Thanks for all you do, and thanks for all the extra effort you have invested in keeping us together!

I couldn't put it better Nancy. We do appreciate that we all have real lives and what is more we REALLY APPRECIATE the effort you put in to keep us up and running, Jon. As for standing by I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else, this place is PERFECT.

It does make me wonder why anyone would want to hack into our site, are they just people with malignant feelings and nothing else to do.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

mrsl

Postby mrsl » June 5th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Jon:

As stated earlier, You are the last person who should apologize for any problems SSO encounters. In fact, I for one, and most likely everyone else who clicks in on a regular basis, has nothing but gratitude to you for giving us this lovely place to meet and discuss.

Thank you for all you do in relation to SSO.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************

feaito

Postby feaito » June 5th, 2009, 5:42 pm

All I can say is THANK YOU Jon! :D

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » June 5th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Thank you to Jon and all the moderators for going above and beyond the call of duty here.

And here's to the continued success of this blessedly troll-free forum.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

Marta

Postby Marta » June 8th, 2009, 3:27 am

I know I don't come here that often, but I too want to say thanks for everything you do here. It's nice to come to a place where everyone is so friendly and wonderful. Like Alison said this place is pretty much perfect. I've been to other sites, but this place outranks them all.

Thanks again for all your hard work, it's very much appreciated. :D

Ollie

Postby Ollie » June 8th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Thanks also for the description of the problems. From my point of view, "backups" should be done for the admins' convenience primarily. I've seen a lot of great writing and wonderful photos posted here, but if those were lost, c'est la vie. I certainly can repeat everything I've written about every film many times over! So I hope the backups are a method to make your life easier, first and foremost.

silentscreen

Postby silentscreen » June 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm

I just want to say that all the administrators and moderators do a top notch job here and the site just keeps getting better and better! We really do APPRECIATE you all!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard

Return to “Announcements”