The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.
- Audrey Hepburn

Scott O'Brien Is Our December Guest Star

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

moira finnie
Administrator

Scott O'Brien Is Our December Guest Star

Postby moira finnie » December 3rd, 2010, 5:11 pm

Christmas comes early to the Silver Screen Oasis with the gift of a December visit with one of our most memorable guest stars,
Scott O'Brien, the author of Kay Francis: I Can't Wait to Be Forgotten and Virginia Bruce-Under My Skin.

Scott will be making a return appearance to discuss his most recent, very well received biography of
Ann Harding-Cinema's Gallant Lady (BearManor).

The blonde, talented Ann Harding, an actress whose glowing presence on the screen during the pre-code era brought her talent to stories that examined romance, social conventions, the place of women and the consequences and advantages of independence, faded into one dimensional supporting roles after she left the screen for several years when typecasting and the Production Code changed the quality of the work available. After she married for the second time in 1937 she left the screen for several years. Fortunately, the first decade of her cinematic work has endured as interest in her films grows with the rediscovery of them by a new generation.
In Hollywood beginning in 1929, Harding shared the screen with such co-stars as Gary Cooper, Ronald Colman, Laurence Olivier, Leslie Howard, Fredric March, William Powell, Brian Aherne, Otto Kruger, Clive Brook, and Richard Dix with directors such as Edmund Goulding, William Wellman, John Cromwell, Henry Hathaway, and a forgotten pioneer in talkies, Edward H. Griffith. The actress had a highly individual talent, and her working relationships and sometimes passionate private life are examined in an even-handed, exceptionally well written account by Scott.

Scott O'Brien will be with us from Monday, December 6th through Saturday, December 11th. Please consider this your gilt-edged invitation to ask questions of this biographer here at the SSO.

You can read more about this thoughtful and engaging book here:
http://bearmanormedia.bizland.com/id470.html
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

charliechaplinfan

Re: Scott O'Brien Is Our December Guest Star

Postby charliechaplinfan » December 3rd, 2010, 5:34 pm

This is exciting news. I can't wait.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

silentscreen

Postby silentscreen » December 3rd, 2010, 8:01 pm

I second Alison! Ann is one of my very favorite actresses! :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard

Lzcutter
Administrator

Postby Lzcutter » December 3rd, 2010, 9:38 pm

Moira,

This is great news. The first time I saw Ms. Harding in Double Harness a few years back on TCM, I have wanted to know more about her. She was so good in that film and I wish she had done more films.

Looking forward to this!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Ann Harding

Postby Ann Harding » December 4th, 2010, 9:29 am

OOOOOOOOOoooh....But it's MY biographer! :mrgreen: Unfortunately I haven't read the book yet. But, I will certainly asked a few questions. Thanks Moira! :D

Return to “Announcements”