The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Dana Andrews' Biographer to Visit The Silver Screen Oasis

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

MissGoddess

Re: Dana Andrews' Biographer to Visit The Silver Screen Oasis

Postby MissGoddess » November 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Ha! I could print my avatar and send that but I don't think it would be a fair trade. :P

For the record, does anyone get called "Swampy!" in this movie? :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

MissGoddess

Postby MissGoddess » November 26th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Has Dana ever been Star of the Month @ TCM?
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » November 26th, 2012, 3:00 pm

MissGoddess wrote:Has Dana ever been Star of the Month @ TCM?

Not that I know of, but, since many of his films are from 20th Century Fox (and Goldwyn) perhaps that only became a possibility recently since we have witnessed a fairly recent flurry of Fox films that have finally begun to be shown on TCM.

Also, with Loretta Young finally getting her due as Star of the Month on TCM in January, can Dana be far behind?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » November 26th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I just love State Fair, hokey and all. I will admit, during the parts with Dick Haymes I usually go get a snack, except for that exceptional final speech by Frank McHugh, when he's comforting the lovelorn Haymes. Dana doesn't have much to do, but who cares? I still love him in this one. He is totally believable, and who could resist Jeannie in those frilly peasant dresses, in Technicolor no less?

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » November 26th, 2012, 4:03 pm

MissGoddess wrote: What did you think of the film? I saw it features quite a few Ford "stock co" players and a script by Dudley Nichols.

I liked it, and was very impressed with Dana's youth in Swamp Water (he barely looks 25) and even more affected by his intensely felt performance. It was an early peak for him and, according to Rollyson's bio, one of his best early experiences as a screen actor after languishing in movies where it looked as though he was being groomed as a second lead. This early glimpse of Anne Baxter surprised me since she gave a good, less mannered performance than some of her later work, (imho). All she needed was a great director, I guess.

Here's another early role for Andrews in Ford's Tobacco Road (1941). Dana is one of the few actors whose character is NOT a walking cliche, though this Erskine Caldwell vehicle probably seemed close to being a slice-of-life once upon a time. When watching it, I always have the feeling that Ford figures he was telling a story about another lazier branch of the Joads.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOctHuqLPkQ&list=PLhW_nBbUj8ddDCNLkqFfuOi_sWx38dl5Q&feature=g-list[/youtube]

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » November 26th, 2012, 4:08 pm

JackFavell wrote:I just love State Fair, hokey and all. I will admit, during the parts with Dick Haymes I usually go get a snack, except for that exceptional final speech by Frank McHugh, when he's comforting the lovelorn Haymes. Dana doesn't have much to do, but who cares? I still love him in this one. He is totally believable, and who could resist Jeannie in those frilly peasant dresses, in Technicolor no less?

Crain seemed to be an idealized yet real adolescent in this movie, even though she never seemed to get any credit for some of her performances (esp. Margie). I love that speech of McHugh's too.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » November 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm

To me she is the quintessential girl back home, and I agree, she never gets any credit. I think there's a good possibility that it was harder to play those nice girls.

For me, the year it was made is what gives the 1945 version of State Fair it's real power. It's fairly green with hope. It's the same reason I cry watching the 'Till the Clouds Roll By' number in the musical of the same name. There is something so poignant about these little expressions of new, fervent but fragile buds of life starting up again. The farm itself is a symbol of what's good and honest and growing, constantly moving and changing, but also staying the same in all the right ways. Home life was something to dig into, rather than to cover over in Saran wrap, as Jeanne's boyfriend farmer would like to do, lol. The Hucksters also has this stop motion feel to me, it captures a moment in time right after the war, when everything was possible, and people had to make some decisions about how the world was going to be, what they believed in, and what they didn't want to do with their lives.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » December 8th, 2012, 10:16 am

FYI: The thread for the Q & A with Carl Rollyson is now open at the link below as of Saturday, Dec. 8th, and will continue to accept questions from all members today and tomorrow, Sunday, Dec. 9th. If you would like to see more Dana Andrews videos than those posted earlier in this announcement, there is a playlist devoted to him at the link below designed to feature the ever-changing videos on youtube featuring the actor.

The Q & A with Carl Rollyson, author of Hollywood Enigma: Dana Andrews

The Dana Andrews Playlist

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » December 12th, 2012, 10:39 am

Thanks for getting him on board with us this weekend ... Moira! ... You, and other Administrators did one great year of lining up guests on our forum!

Thanks again! :)

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » December 12th, 2012, 10:46 am

We're so glad that you and other members had a chance to enjoy the visits in 2012, kingme.

All the authors have been wonderfully generous throughout the year sharing their observations and experiences...and the input of the members really makes it worthwhile

(...and their books make great holiday presents for classic film buffs).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Return to “Announcements”