The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

John Gilbert Author Eve Golden Returns on May 18th & 19th

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

feaito

Re: John Gilbert Author Eve Golden Returns on May 18th & 19th

Postby feaito » May 14th, 2013, 12:12 pm

"Downstairs" and "Fast Workers" are my favorite John Gilbert talking pictures. This book is on my Wish List.

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » May 14th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Your nuanced and sensitive remarks about Gilbert's performance in The Merry Widow makes me realize that I have to see this movie again. I know I'm a philistine, but I have a tough time getting past Mae Murray's characterization, though I do remember liking much of Gilbert's work in the film. The Big Parade stands out for me among his silents, perhaps because his performance seems so modern (as it did in Downstairs too). Of his Garbo flicks, I am really enjoying Love (1927), (even if they did f*#^!&! with Tolstoy's ending).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

JackFavell

Postby JackFavell » May 14th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Oh it's hard to get past Mae, but it's so worth it if you can focus on Gilbert, at least in that seduction scene. Seeing him work seriously in this potboiler makes me appreciate him all the more.

charliechaplinfan

Postby charliechaplinfan » May 15th, 2013, 7:48 am

I'm really looking forward to Eve's visit, John Gilbert is one of my favourites too.So many good movies and so underrated, especially in his talkies. I'd love to see his last movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

moira finnie
Administrator

Watch for More News Here about Upcoming Guest Authors

Postby moira finnie » May 18th, 2013, 8:11 am

The Q & A with The Silver Screen Oasis May Guest Author Eve Golden discussing her new book, John Gilbert: The Last of the Silent Film Stars, is now open. Your questions and Eve's replies can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=6228
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Return to “Announcements”