The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Some sad news to share

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

Lzcutter
Administrator

Some sad news to share

Postby Lzcutter » July 18th, 2014, 9:14 am

We have some sad news to share.

In the winter of 2007 as chaos seemed to reign supreme on the TCM message boards, Moira had the idea of creating an outpost where if posting was suspended at TCM City, we would have place to go, talk about movies and stay together. We started reaching out to various people to see if they would be interested in joining us.

The idea started as a Yahoo group called TCM Refugees as I recall.

But, as our numbers grew, it became apparent that a Yahoo group would not be able to replicate the kind of community we wanted to foster to talk about all the topics we wanted to include (imagine that!).

Jon Parker, a practical guy and technically proficient in computers and programs (which we definitely were not back then) who had been at TCM City for quite some time and knew us, stepped up and offered to build and host a message board site where we could realize that dream.

Thus, our little refugee group found a home here and the Silver Screen Oasis was born on April 7, 2007.

Had it not been for Jon Parker none of this would have been possible. Message board software back then was not as ubiquitous as it has become and I'll be the first to admit, I had no clue as to how to even begin to figure that out.

But Jon Parker not only knew, he built this site and in those early years, helped us run it. He rode herd on our tech issues and helped us get us our footing.

We are (and always have been) very thankful for the kindness he showed us in not only creating and hosting this site but, when he decided for personal reasons that he needed to back away, he bequeathed the site to Moira, Chris and me (and would come to include Christi and David) to take care of and nurture.

We learned in the last 48 hours that Jon Parker passed away a few months ago. A few years back, he had moved to Oklahoma to be closer to his mother and his family. We would occasionally see posts of his on Facebook where, among many varied topics, he would talk about his love of cooking. He loved preparing meals for the Methodist Church where he volunteered. He was especially proud of his hot sauce. (I always meant to ask him for that recipe).

He also loved Clara Bow and her movies.

Besides his mother and two former wives, he leaves behind three children, a grandson and a very grateful community here at the Silver Screen Oasis for coming to our rescue and helping to create our little home away home.

Rest in Peace, Jon Parker.

We will always be thankful.

If you would like to read his obit and/or sign the guest book at his legacy site: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/oklahoman/obituary.aspx?pid=170276871
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

RedRiver

Re: Some sad news to share

Postby RedRiver » July 18th, 2014, 10:38 am

This is sad, Lynn. I remember corresponding with Jon about one thing or another. I don't remember the issues. Only that he was pleasant and helpful. All the best to his family and friends.

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » July 18th, 2014, 11:15 am

One thing about Jon Parker, that all the e-mails that we shared in my earliest days of SILVER SCREEN OASIS that I recall it's took me 4-6 months to join this site and I been trying my hardest to join. But, he was very kind and helpful at the end and he was so cheery and pleasant to be.

I wished that I kept those e-mails ... but, he was a true pioneer in SILVER SCREEN OASIS and I wished he shared more here ... but he told me a thing or two about Clara Bow that I wanted to share with you.

I asked him a couple of things about Clara Bow and he told me that there are three things that's make her stand out as a performer, a silent movie star, and a gifted talented actress to boot. That her beauty trademarks are her pencil-thin eyebrows, her lovely and enchanting eyes, and a graceful figure that was very captivating to behold.

He shared that with me on the day that I joined this site and wanted to let you all know that.

I will never, ever forget that ...

movieman1957
Administrator

Postby movieman1957 » July 18th, 2014, 11:41 am

Jon was a huge part of making all this work. He was the tech team. I had the pleasure to talk to him on the phone several times and he couldn't have been nicer to me. We'd talk about this place but we would also talk about life. His was hard but he was determined to make a go of it.

Rest well Jon.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » July 18th, 2014, 12:33 pm

I think that Jon's generosity and patience when we set up this site helped to make it the friendly place we try to make it everyday. His kindness and interest in everything from classic movies to food to politics enlivened and encouraged many of us in ways that he may never have fully known. I hope he realizes it now and is at peace.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

ChiO

Postby ChiO » July 18th, 2014, 1:01 pm

A Techie that was kind, patient and friendly to a technological ignoramus - that is a rare and wonderful person.

We will miss you, Jon.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles

Professional Tourist

Postby Professional Tourist » July 18th, 2014, 1:47 pm

I remembered his name as Jon Daris, and didn't realize he was no longer the site admin (he was usually pretty quiet around here).

Apparently Daris was his middle name. Here is another memorial, which includes a guest book:

http://www.smithandkernke.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1273025

Sorry to know he had been ill for a couple of years. No more pain now. Rest in peace.

Edit to add: yes, his screen name here was jondaris.

Return to “Announcements”