The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

Vote for Your Favorite Film Figures for the Banner

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

moira finnie
Administrator

Vote for Your Favorite Film Figures for the Banner

Postby moira finnie » September 28th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Here's the spot to request that a particular actor, actress, or classic film figure be included in future banners for our site. We love the new look (thank you so much Lomm!) and hope that you will help to create future versions in this thread. Thanks!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Professional Tourist

Re: Vote for Your Favorite Film Figures for the Banner

Postby Professional Tourist » September 28th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Please include Agnes Moorehead in the banner.

Moraldo Rubini

Postby Moraldo Rubini » September 28th, 2014, 11:58 pm

I vote for Garbo and Eve Arden!

ChiO

Postby ChiO » September 29th, 2014, 6:23 am

Barbara Stanwyck, Orson Welles, Robert Ryan and...TIMOTHY CAREY.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles

knitwit45

Postby knitwit45 » September 29th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Thelma Ritter, please!!! Nancy Carroll and Mary Nash, Mary Astor, Walter Huston, Louise Beavers...

Or how about a decade specific banner? Run for two weeks, then move it to another decade.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Rita Hayworth

Postby Rita Hayworth » September 29th, 2014, 9:34 pm

knitwit45 wrote:
Or how about a decade specific banner? Run for two weeks, then move it to another decade.

This would be an excellent idea - I like this approach very much!

ChiO

Postby ChiO » September 30th, 2014, 7:40 am

A Modest Proposal -

Each SSO Member who wishes to participate in the Banner & Quotation creation can send a "Request to Participate" to Lomm (or Moira or whomever the Administrators designate) via PM.

Said designee creates a list of Participants and assigns each of them a specific date by which the Participant submits, via PM, the nine (9) personages (actors, directors, studio heads, writers, etc.) and a quotation that the Participant wants. (Nine was selected because that's how many different personages I currently see in the Banner - perhaps it could be fewer or up to 16, which I believe is the number of photos in the current Banner).

That becomes the Banner and Quotation for a designated period of time - two weeks, one month, or whatever period Lomm decides based on the time it takes to create a new Banner.

A spin on the above is to have two Participants providing half as many personages (and agreeing on a quotation) for each period. That may be a better option if there are several Participants and the Banner runs for a longer period.

In this way, all SSO Members have an active interest in and equal input to the Banner and Quotation.

Yes, I spent over 20 years of my life negotiating settlements.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles

Vecchiolarry

Postby Vecchiolarry » September 30th, 2014, 8:44 am

Hi,

The last two figures are obliturated by the "Search" boxes - I know Cary Grant is there, but the last one - who is it?

I vote for Roy Rogers, just to include the western thread. And besides, he was the only person I considerd a 'movie star' when I was a child.

Larry

feaito

Postby feaito » September 30th, 2014, 9:11 am

I would add Myrna Loy, Carole Lombard, Lillian Gish, John Gilbert, Dolores Del Río, Ann Harding, Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, James Cagney and Fred Mac Murray. :wink: :D

Lomm
Administrator

Postby Lomm » September 30th, 2014, 11:55 am

Vecchiolarry wrote:Hi,

The last two figures are obliturated by the "Search" boxes - I know Cary Grant is there, but the last one - who is it?

I vote for Roy Rogers, just to include the western thread. And besides, he was the only person I considerd a 'movie star' when I was a child.

Larry

It's Cary Grant and Jean Harlow in the last two, Larry. :) You must run at a very low screen resolution, because on mine the banner starts repeating and I see them all a second time all the way to Jimmy Stewart, and someone else above said they see 16 across. But, people such as yourself are why I made it only 800 pixels wide, so it doesn't mess up the forum for you.

Lomm
Administrator

Postby Lomm » September 30th, 2014, 12:00 pm

ChiO wrote:A Modest Proposal -

Each SSO Member who wishes to participate in the Banner & Quotation creation can send a "Request to Participate" to Lomm (or Moira or whomever the Administrators designate) via PM.

Said designee creates a list of Participants and assigns each of them a specific date by which the Participant submits, via PM, the nine (9) personages (actors, directors, studio heads, writers, etc.) and a quotation that the Participant wants. (Nine was selected because that's how many different personages I currently see in the Banner - perhaps it could be fewer or up to 16, which I believe is the number of photos in the current Banner).

That becomes the Banner and Quotation for a designated period of time - two weeks, one month, or whatever period Lomm decides based on the time it takes to create a new Banner.

A spin on the above is to have two Participants providing half as many personages (and agreeing on a quotation) for each period. That may be a better option if there are several Participants and the Banner runs for a longer period.

In this way, all SSO Members have an active interest in and equal input to the Banner and Quotation.

Yes, I spent over 20 years of my life negotiating settlements.

I appreciate the thought you put into this, but I'd rather capture people's ideas in this thread and make banners that way rather than getting PMs and such. Ultimately, I hope to create a LOT of these, and then set the forum to auto-rotate them in and out, so we never know what we're going to see next!

moira finnie
Administrator

Postby moira finnie » September 30th, 2014, 12:21 pm

I like everybody's ideas being seen here and in the thread for the quotes. We can eventually use all the ideas posted here, I believe.

Unless, of course, someone suggests we start posting stuff like images of the Most Annoying Actors Ever....hmmm, that's an idea--and a controversy we can stir up!! Of course, this would probably arouse the ire of the El Brendel, Leila Bennett, and Lee Bowman fans of the world too :wink:
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks

Lomm
Administrator

Postby Lomm » September 30th, 2014, 2:11 pm

If possible, put the decade for your actor/actress. I am going to know the majority of them, but I really like the idea of a banner for each decade. I suggest 20s-60s, but feel free to tell me that's wrong. :) I can do that as part of the rotation I plan to create. Some stars of course transcend decades, like Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Bogart, etc. I would put them in their most iconic era. But we could make so many different ones!

We can have things like all-western banners, all-action, all-noir, as well as just random collections of great stars as for instance we have up there right now.

Mr. Arkadin

Postby Mr. Arkadin » September 30th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Since tomorrow is October, how about a line up of horror icons such as Karloff, Lugosi, Price, & of course Barbara Steele?

Lomm
Administrator

Postby Lomm » September 30th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Mr. Arkadin wrote:Since tomorrow is October, how about a line up of horror icons such as Karloff, Lugosi, Price, & of course Barbara Steele?

What about a Universal Monsters one? Dracula, Mummy, Frankenstein, Wolfman, etc?

Return to “Announcements”