Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

MissGoddess

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you so much, wendy! i can't believe i've never seen or heard of it. can't wait to watch it tonight.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I hope you'll post about it a little, whether you like it or not so much.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

sure thing and i think i will love it---like you, i've developed a real soft spot for Hoss' gentleness and generous spirit on the show.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:Inger was on "Bonanza"???! What?! I can't believe I have missed that one! Is it on YouTube? Does anyone recollect the episode title? I love Inger AND Hoss and would love to see this one....
Sounds great, Wendy....Miss G., Inger seemed to be in EVERYTHING when I was a kid. It sometimes seemed as though a month barely went by without her appearance in a series or movie of the week. If you like Inger Stevens, you ought to try to catch her appearance in an episode of Route 66 called "The Beryllium Eater." She was an exceptionally intelligent actress and great beauty.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I agree. I find her restrained and yet powerful emotionally... elegant, insightful and very fragile-seeming.

I must have loved her from an early age, because I remember when The Farmer's Daughter was on driving my mom crazy by copying her Swedish accent, saying Yah to everything until she told me to stop it. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote: Sounds great, Wendy....Miss G., Inger seemed to be in EVERYTHING when I was a kid. It sometimes seemed as though a month barely went by without her appearance in a series or movie of the week. If you like Inger Stevens, you ought to try to catch her appearance in an episode of Route 66 called "The Beryllium Eater." She was an exceptionally intelligent actress and great beauty.

I will look for that Route 66 episode, thank you Moira. I find Inger very touching. She's in one of my favorite "Alfred Hitchcock Hour" episodes, too, and my all-time favorite "twilight zone": the hitch-hiker.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not sure about this, but I think Eric "Hoss" Cartwright was born to a Swedish mother. The episode "Inger, My Love" recounts the birth of Ben's second, and most likeable, son. Perhaps this accounts for the attraction to Ms. Stevens!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

My eyes are still wet and cloudy after watching that episode.

SPOILER - "BONANZA"

I might have known if it had Inger in it that it was going to be sad. :( :(

I really do like these early episodes, they have a vigor that changed later on. I also notice that most of the scenes took place outdoors instead of on sets like many of them later on. One of the producers, I think it was Dortort, didn't like the change in direction and went on to create "The High Chaparral". I believe you've written about that here, Moira.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know, I cried at this one too. I agree, the feel of it seems different from most of the Bonanza episodes I've seen, actually more like Have Gun Will Travel, at least to me. I also liked the outdoor location.

I didn't know that about Hoss, red. No wonder he fell for Ms. Stevens. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My mom used to say, "I would never marry Ben Cartwright. His wives don't make it through one show!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Those boys are deadly!