Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by movieman1957 »

April:

She seemed to enjoy it. We saw it on the Westerns channel and she came in on the end of a half hour episode so we stuck around for the hour show. Chester was the main focus so she had some questions about him and some of the others. She really thought Weaver had a bum leg. I reminded her of some of his other shows and the remembered that he was fine. She stuck with it.

We did see a "Bonanza" recently with Wally Cox and gold finding machine. It was fun but you are right about how much better they look. Vibrant colors.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

JackFavell wrote:They're showing 'THE MILLIONAIRE"? With John Beresford Tipton?!!!!????

Dang, I want this channel!
The Millionaire shows were shown as part of an ongoing series they have where they focus on a Sunday afternoon of a particular old program. Unfortunately, these are not part of the regular schedule as of now.

This Sunday the featured show is Ironside (Zzzzzzzz).

You can see more about Me-TV here:
http://metvnetwork.com/about.php
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I have been DYING to see The Millionaire again, since discovering it at 2 in the morning on some local Wisconsin station in college. I did find it on dvd somewhere but it was so exorbitant I couldn't even think about buying it without my head reeling. I'd need a check from John B Tipton to cover the cost. :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I caught a couple of episodes of "The Millionaire" and really enjoyed them. I hadn't even heard of it before.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I've always been a big fan of the short story, and also of anthology movies and tv shows. The Millionaire really hit on all cylinders, I just loved it from the minute I saw it, there's always so much creativity in this kind of format. Plus I love Marvin Miller. I'm just glad to see that someone is still showing this TV show, somewhere, even if I don't get the channel.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The Millionaire? In a "Westerns" thread? Ain't stream-of-consciousness wonderful? Calling Dr. Stein...Dr. Joyce....

I loved The Millionaire as a lad. Upon reflection, it may be responsible for any film noir sensibility I may have. As I remember it (and, after all, the memory is far more important than the reality), an unseen force (God? Fate?) dispatches his emotionless messenger to provide untold riches (the American Dream?) to someone...and he or she bolluxes it up.

If that ain't noir, then nothing is.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved "The Millionaire," too. I will have to check this one out!

Chris, glad you found METV...'cause it's all about me! Glad Carol Ann was asking questions. That's a good sign!
I once met Dennis Weaver's step-granddaughter at a grocery store in Colorado, and she talked about how wonderful he was.
(He had an eco-friendly house built that he insulated with old tires, and it was once featured in Architectural Digest, or some such magazine.)
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Cool story about Chester...i mean Dennis!

I wonder how I could not have even heard of "The Millionaire" before this, it seems to have attracted a good many guest stars. I saw the one with Jack Lord, one with a young Rita Moreno and one with an equally young Dennis Hopper. I hope MeTV brings it back at some point. The network also has given me my first glimpses of the western series "Branded" (with Chuck Connors) and "Thriller" (with Boris Karloff).
-- Will Rogers
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I just remember that we always seemed to watch it, and my mother seemed to like it, but don't remember much about it as far as the guest stars are concerned, but I do remember wishing the man who delivered the checks was my uncle because he seemed to help so many people be happy. (Duh, guess who's a people pleaser?) Glad I can revisit it now!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thriller.... ooh I'd love to see some of those again.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I caught this "bonanza" episode on Encore yesterday, and thought it was particularly good. It made me notice character actor John Vernon (Canadian and RADA-trained), one of those faces I typically knew but could not put a name to. He plays the titular "Yonder Man", a foot-loose type who can't settle down. Rodolfo Acosta has a nice supporting part as a former compadre.

It's episodes such as this one that make me a fan of the show.

(Moira, my next watch is the Gilbertito episode...can't wait!)

[youtube][/youtube]
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I caught this "bonanza" episode on Encore yesterday, and thought it was particularly good. It made me notice character actor John Vernon (Canadian and RADA-trained), one of those faces I typically knew but could not put a name to. He plays the titular "Yonder Man", a foot-loose type who can't settle down. Rodolfo Acosta has a nice supporting part as a former compadre.
It's episodes such as this one that make me a fan of the show.
It's Dean Wormer! (Miss G., you're probably too young to know this) but John Vernon was the weaselly head of Faber College in the comedy, Animal House (1978). After a lifetime of playing roles like this one in Bonanza and being a miscreant in many others, Vernon finally had a chance to make people smile when they saw him.
MissGoddess wrote:(Moira, my next watch is the Gilbertito episode...can't wait!)
I hope you'll like it.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I never saw A.H....i can't imagine the yonder man a college Dean! talk about range. :D
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

After a lifetime of playing roles like this one in Bonanza and being a miscreant in many others, Vernon finally had a chance to make people smile when they saw him.
Yes, we smiled...but because under the ANIMAL HOUSE rules of engagement, he was still the miscreant.

Favorite role: Mal Reese in POINT BLANK.

Runner-up: Warden Bacman in CHAINED HEAT (who else could have kept Tamara Dobson, Stella Stevens, Sybil Danning and Linda Blair under some semblance of control?)
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

He made me smile as the Yonder Man but he was not a miscreant. I kind of admired his free character, though he was certainly undomesticated. :D
-- Will Rogers