Westerns

Mr. Arkadin

Re: Westerns

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

The main theme was written by Eastwood (along w/directing & playing the lead). The only other person I can remember scoring a film hat trick off hand is Chaplin, so he's in good company.

[youtube][/youtube]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

John Carpenter has done writing, directing and music. As for acting, you may be right!
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

One of the most haunting Western themes, ever IMO. And so appropriate to the visual imagery of that opening scene.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Now this is a unique rendition that I hope folks enjoy:

[youtube][/youtube]
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Richard--W

Post by Richard--W »

They're pretty good, aren't they. Thank you for that musical interlude.

After reading "Stormy Weather" 's appreciation of the novel True Grit over at West of the River we watched the new version with Jeff Bridges last night. Why do I do this to myself? I'm reminded once again of what a disappointment it is, and how it grates on my nerves. Should have watched the classic version instead.
"To live outside the law you must be honest."
Bob Dylan, 1965
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Three Violent People" stars Charlton Heston, Anne Baxter and Gilbert Roland. It revolves around the marriage of Heston and Baxter and Heston's trying to save his ranch from Yankee carpetbaggers that have come to Texas to take over. Problems are compounded as Baxter has a past and naturally Heston finds out about it. There is also a strained relationship with a younger brother played by Tom Tyron

Beautiful scenery and a really nice print help make it a decent film to watch. I appreciated it for being able to see Heston and Baxter together having a normal relationship (as far as acting goes) compared to their parts in "The Ten Commandments" filmed around the same time.

It is a good enough film but I wonder how long one might remember it. It's a typical western story in an interesting enough manner. Some fun is had in "Name That Actor" scenes. I was very surprised to find a young Robert Blake and Jamie Farr as Roland's sons. Elaine Stritch, who I found in "Law and Order" is a surprise and I probably wouldn't have known her if I didn't pick her name up in the credits. The always familiar Forrest Tucker is on hand as well.

It's a film I had not heard of until recently. It's not great but I enjoyed it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is one of my "under the radar" favorites. Love Gilbert Roland in it (naturally). I'd like to see it again, it's been several years. Something about it reminded me a little of "The High Chaparral".
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It was so "under the radar" for me because I think "Sir Francis" mentioned at TCM and I put it on my list. Although I could have just been running through one of my books looking for something new.

Roland was the smart one and the calm one in the midst of it all. He may have been the ranch foreman but that didn't keep him from speaking his mind. Childhood friendships offer that ability.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

They were friends from childhood? See how foggy I am on the storyline and characters. Is it on Netflix?
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I did get it from Netflix.

I thought that is what Roland's character said about their relationship.
Chris

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Streaming? That's all I have.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sorry, no. Just a disc.
Chris

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I saw THREE VIOLENT PEOPLE a long time ago. I enjoy the history between the two brothers. Tryon and Heston are well cast in the roles.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:Sorry, no. Just a disc.
sigh. as soon as i finish watching the last few episodes of "Hawaii Five-O" I think I'm going to cancel my Netflix (again). they don't seem to have anything streaming that i want to watch.
-- Will Rogers
feaito

Post by feaito »

I own "Three Violent People" on DVD and it's been one of the noteworthy Westerns I have seen in these last years. Gilbert Roland's performance is especially good.