"Wichita" (1955), Dir. Jacques Tourneur

movieman

"Wichita" (1955), Dir. Jacques Tourneur

Post by movieman »

Hi!

Has anyone here aquired the Warner Archives DVD release of Wichita?
I have.
Wichita is now one of my favourite westerns.
It's Tourneur's only film in Cinemascope and the cinematography is beautiful.

Some calls it a "B" western, but I'd argue that being in Cinemascope and looking fairly expensive to boot.

The scene where the boy in the window gets shot could possibly have been re-shot, though...

Have you seen this magnificent western, Dewey?

Joel McCrea is at his best and Vera Miles is a looker. The plot may be familiar but it has that 'Tourneur touch'. That is, though the story is conventional, the film is done in unconventional ways.

I can't, at the moment, put my finger on those unconventional scenes.
But that's the case with Tourneur: you can't see all his nice touches in the first viewing, but when you see them it makes the film even better.

Maybe Anne has watched this one?

Mr. Even B
Dewey1960

Re: "Wichita" (1955), Dir. Jacques Tourneur

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mr. Even B. asked: Have you seen this magnificent western, Dewey?

Hey, Even B! No, I've never seen WICHITA, and now that I see that it's available through the Warner Archives series, I just might have to pop for the twenty bucks and check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

In the space of two years (1955-56), Tourneur made three of my favorite Westerns: STRANGER ON HORSEBACK, WICHITA and GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING. TCM is broadcasting GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING, which is currently unavailable on DVD, on November 30.

It's a shame that Tourneur seems defined by, and thereby limited to, OUT OF THE PAST and the Lewton movies, so it's wonderful that WICHITA is now available. Did someone say STARS IN MY CROWN?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman

Post by movieman »

Did someone say STARS IN MY CROWN?
Yes ChiO let's say it: "STARS IN MY CROWN"!

I'd like both Stars in My Crown and Great Day in the Morning on DVD, as I know many others do.

On the DVD quality of Wichita:

It's in the original Cinemascope aspect ratio (Widescreen 16:9, 2.55:1) and in color.
The transfer could have been a bit sharper, but it's very, very nice!

Now bring on those other westerns be it on regular DVD or Warner Archives DVD!

Even B
movieman

Way of a Gaucho (1952), Dir. Jacques Tourneur

Post by movieman »

Not sure if it's correct to mention it in this thread. It's not exactly a western...

But, Way of a Gaucho starring Rory Calhoun, Gene Tierney, Hugh Marlowe and Richard Boone was recently released on region 2 DVD in Spain. (Spanish title Martín el Gaucho).
I've got it and the transfer is good, but a bit dark.

The movie is no classic by a long stretch, but it's beautifully filmed in color. There are some wonderful scenes in it.

Chris Fujiwara writes in his book "Jacques Tourneur: The Cinema of Nightfall":

"A poignant meditation on freedom and desire, Way of a Gaucho is, along with Anne of the Indies, perhaps the most beautiful of Tourneur's films." (p. 201) "The film contains several scenes that function in a symbolic or atmospheric rather than dramatic way and that encapsulate a situation visually without advancing the drama..." (p. 202)

Even B
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

"The film contains several scenes that function in a symbolic or atmospheric rather than dramatic way and that encapsulate a situation visually without advancing the drama..." (p. 202)
That, for me, is a fine summation of every Tourneur movie I've seen (19 of the 25 or so post-CAT PEOPLE). I'm embarrassed that I don't have Fujiwara's book.

I have never seen ANNE OF THE INDIES. I have a so-so copy of WAY OF A GAUCHO, which is his "Western" that does the least for me...but that still makes it worth watching.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I sure wish I could remember Wichita but for the life of me, I can't. I even looked it up on imdB thinking maybe the summary would loosen my memory but no dice so perhaps I've never seen it. I thought I had seen all of Joel McCrea but I guess not. I will keep a look out for it though.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Caught "Wichita" recently on Encore's Westerns channel. It is a pleasant enough film. McCrea plays Wyatt Earp. He is terminally polite as are most of the characters. Vera Miles is lovely in an early undemanding role but is always nice to see her. It was surprised as I didn't know she was here. A few action scenes (McCrea looks as comfortable on a horse as anyone) but mostly Earp tries to clean up Wichita by sheer will power. Support includes Edgar Buchanan, Lloyd Bridges, Wallace Ford and a young Peter Graves.

Tournier does a fine job and it seems he and McCrea worked often and well together. One bit of direction that did catch my attention was a scene where Miles comes to see McCrea after her father forbids her to see him again. There is always a two-shot during the scene but each shot comes from each actor's perspective. From McCrea's side they are high looking down. Miles shots are low looking up.

I think if any of you have Netflix it is a film you can watch on line. Worth a look.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."