Drango (1957)

moira finnie
Administrator

Drango (1957)

Post by moira finnie »

Has anyone else seen this strange but somewhat interesting movie?

Drango (1957-Hal Barlett), an odd movie with horses and a recent broadcast on the Encore Western Channel, might be categorized as a Western, though in a sense it is "a Southern". In any case, it is an intriguing if flawed movie set between April, 1865 and New Year's Day, 1866. Starring Jeff Chandler, Joanne Dru, Ronald Howard, Julie London, Donald Crisp, Milburn Stone and Morris Ankrum, this low budget movie has an interesting premise. Shot mostly on one appropriately bleak street set, the movie sometimes seems more like an ambitious tv show than a feature film.

Union soldier Chandler is an Army major sent to a small Georgia hamlet to impose martial law in the weeks just following the ending of the Civil War. He is reluctant to impose his power militarily, preferring to "appeal to the better angels" of these former rebels' natures. Since he is accompanied by only one adjutant (John Lupton) on this detail, his ability to corral these sullen people seems unlikely anyway but he has other reasons for wanting to develop a relationship with these people. One thing that this film does well is show the utter devastation of the lives of these demoralized people.

Their town, which has been looted by Sherman's army on their march to the sea, faces humiliation, and, more importantly, starvation in the coming months. This point is made most poignantly by the introduction of a family of orphaned children led by a grimly determined, angry adolescent boy after both parents were victims of the war and disease and starvation that resulted from it. One particular scene, dealing with the fight to the death between this young patriarch and another starving boy over an emaciated chicken encapsulates the desperate situation quite well.

Yet, when Chandler tries to establish civil order by enlisting the support of the town's most prominent citizens, played by Donald Crisp and Howard as father and son, he is rebuffed. Ronald Howard, (playing a bitter variation of Ashley Wilkes, the part that his father, Leslie, played in GWTW and sadly, with none of his Dad's romantic mien), foments active rebellion through a vigilante movement. The handiwork of these night riders is seen in the first few minutes of the movie as they deal with an alleged Northern sympathizer in their midst. The violence that results might have persuaded a more realistic man to choose a different course of imposing order on a community in chaos, but Jeff Chandler's apparently naive Maj. Drango persists in his efforts to get the town fathers to help him, despite the divisions and reprisal this may bring about in the town. The film also makes a point of delineating the callous attitude of the Union Army brass toward the plight of the townspeople, as Milburn Stone plays a colonel who is reluctant to send any food or clothing to the isolated villagers, adopting a harder attitude toward the defeated that reflected a real change in the North's stance toward the South after Lincoln's assassination, an event that is only touched on briefly in the movie, though Lincoln's forgiving attitude seems to be reflected in Chandler's desire to help the town recover.

Joanne Dru, wearing little makeup and no glamour, stands out very well as she plays the angry daughter of the Northern sympathizer (Morris Ankrum, a '50s movie stalwart, especially in cheap movies). Dru may earn the best actor laurel in this film, but the alleged romance with Chandler seems highly unlikely and almost comes out of nowhere in the course of the story. It's so unlikely since Dru has reason to blame Chandler's mishandling of several situations in the town for causing her a great deal of personal and communal unhappiness.

Morris Ankrum & Joanne Dru play father and daughter. John Lupton (in the background), is the lone military adjutant who helps Jeff Chandler.

Julie London plays a Southern gal who seems to be involved in a rather twisted relationship with Ronald Howard's proto-Klu Klux Klanner, though the kinks in his personality eventually alienate her. As usual, Julie looks and sounds great, but doesn't seem completely credible as a fair flower of the South, especially with the false eyelashes and the 20th century diction.

The eventual revelation of the reasons for the Union Major's reluctance to impose order with force, and the ending, in which a muted Donald Crisp (in one of his last roles) as Judge Allen finally restores some sanity to the community with a cleansing act of violent atonement, brings the movie to a rather rushed close. Most strangely, for a story set in Georgia just after the close of the Civil War, there is not one African-American in the cast nor is slavery really discussed much! One other signal that this is one town not to consider settling down in--the presence of the ubiquitous Chubby Johnson as a ne'er do well, seemingly waiting around to take part in any mob scenes. You know that when Chubby is on the scene, this town will not be on anyone's list of prime real estate.
The star of the show, Jeff Chandler, was also an uncredited producer of this odd little film. He certainly deserves credit for trying to play a role of an imperfect man trying to make up for the past and going about it in a clumsy fashion, though Jeff, as John Lupton points out in one scene, definitely seems to be a man who needs a day off. Even though I realize that the man was stereotyped by his looks in the movies, limiting him to mostly testosterone festivals such as war and western movies, (despite his radio work in the comedic Our Miss Brooks as Mr. Boynton), seems more stiff and tongue-tied than usual here--but I still like the guy, for reasons I'll never understand rationally.

Maybe it is his determined manner, blending gruff tenderness and a "man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" attitude, and those chiseled features, steely gray hair and seven leagues deep voice that makes me such a sap for this guy's often poorly conceived movies. Despite the limitations of many of his movies, in his better Westerns (notably his Oscar nominated role as Cochise opposite Jimmy Stewart in 1950's Broken Arrow, which may be his best movie), you'd never suspect that he was really a boy from Brooklyn.

Drango (1957) is on the Encore Western Channel this month as follows:
Tuesday, September 8th, 11:40 AM EDT
Saturday, September 26th 3:40 PM EDT
Sunday, September 27th, 3:45 AM EDT
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Re: Drango (1957)

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote:
--but I still like the guy, for reasons I'll never understand rationally.
I'm willing to bet it's due in some degree (just as with myself) to the fact that seemingly every single film character Chandler has ever portrayed is unerringly jammed-up with making really difficult choices that always sharply divide the people depending on him, often for their own good, which never fails to render them even more p.o.'d, and no matter how staunchly he sticks to his guns (literally or figuratively) his eyes & jawline constantly telegraph his inner anguish, to the point that no matter how it all comes out on wash day, his character is always silently questioning his own judgements, and shall forever be his own worst critic {regardless what Lenny Maltin has to say!}.
Great review, by the way, Moira; I now have this title on my "gotta-get-it" list, right in-between The Abductors & The Tall Target!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

klondike wrote:
moirafinnie wrote:
I'm willing to bet it's due in some degree (just as with myself) to the fact that seemingly every single film character Chandler has ever portrayed is unerringly jammed-up with making really difficult choices that always sharply divide the people depending on him, often for their own good, which never fails to render them even more p.o.'d, and no matter how staunchly he sticks to his guns (literally or figuratively) his eyes & jawline constantly telegraph his inner anguish, to the point that no matter how it all comes out on wash day, his character is always silently questioning his own judgements, and shall forever be his own worst critic {regardless what Lenny Maltin has to say!}.
That's a good point. He does seem to play outwardly stalwart types not at peace with themselves quite well, even when the script doesn't help him one iota.
klondike wrote:Great review, by the way, Moira; I now have this title on my "gotta-get-it" list, right in-between The Abductors & The Tall Target!
Well, now that I've just re-read what I wrote earlier, and corrected all the syntactical faux-pas I committed this morning, it is a better, though I'm curious about other's viewpoints if you have time to see this movie tomorrow. I should have known you'd go for this one, Klon, especially since it has Chubby Johnson in it!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

I will try hard to catch it, if I can stay get off the road from doing jobsites (September's always a big catch-basin month here in Vermont for broken power poles, whether from drunkenness or storm damage).
I gotta confess, though, in the meantime, that every time I look at that shot of Morris Ankrum sitting at table with Joanna Dru, I imagine a thought balloon coming out his head, saying: "Damn that agent! Gardener promised me no more horse operas if I signed up for two seasons of "Perry Mason", and look at me! Back in homespun, payin' the mortgage!"
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

klondike wrote:
moirafinnie wrote:
Great review, by the way, Moira; I now have this title on my "gotta-get-it" list, right in-between The Abductors & The Tall Target!
Absolutely, Klonny. Chandler was the king of the 'unpopular guy in charge who does right by us in the end' heroes, most notably in Red Ball Express and Away All Boats. He was so good at playing a man with lots of emotional and psychological layers, and generally peeled away enough for the audience to begin rooting for him halfway through the picture. I've been a lifelong fan of his. When I was a girl, I think I liked him in part because he was so distinctive-looking, with that gray hair (I'm sure that was because in his early movies he played opposite women who were a lot older than he was) and I could tell him from most of the other actors. But there is much more to him than the height, interesting looks, great physique and sexy voice (as if that weren't enough). He was a star, but I don't think he ever achieved "real" stardom like the A-listers to whom he was so similar - Gregory Peck, Kirk Douglas and their ilk. He certainly rarely got the really well-written roles that those two got, and more's the pity. I have no doubt he would have acquitted himself brilliantly. And of course there's that early death tragedy. We'll never know what he could have achieved.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is just a little bump to remind anyone interested in this odd little movie, that Drango is being broadcast on the Encore Western Channel today, Saturday, November 7th at 4:40pm EST and Sunday, November 8th at 1:05am EST.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks