Red River

JackFavell

Re: Red River

Post by JackFavell »

I never thought of that! Good call!

Have you seen Harry Carey Sr. and Wayne together in THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS? they are so good together in that one too. MissGoddess clued me in on it, it's a wonderful film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Chris, I think "Hell ain't cussing it's geography!" is from Wagon Master. :D And it's one of my favorite lines, in a great scene. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks. I defer to you on all things "Wagon Master."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wayne had such great chemistry with all his costars, but I think maybe best with lovely delicate Gail.

It must be the contrast. John Wayne is a lot of things. But delicate he's not!

SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS is an interesting movie. A great one? Maybe. Maybe not. But different. There aren't many like it.
tinker

Post by tinker »

Have you seen Harry Carey Sr. and Wayne together in THE SHEPHERD OF THE HILLS? they are so good together in that one too. MissGoddess clued me in on it, it's a wonderful film.
I have seen it. In many ways a very unusual film for John Wayne but I suppose he was not really John Wayne the icon Beautifl film to watch. then. Harry Carey was, I m not sure, method is the right word but so methodical in the gestures and body yet natural that he can be almost mesmorising in the way he drags you away from other actors in the scene. No wonder Wayne used him as a role model to become mesmorising himself.

I know it is only a bit part in Red River but Harry Carey somehow or other makes you feel Mat's concerns about Dunstan through his reaction. Almost the same for Quirt in Angel. Its Harry Carey's speculations and Quirts reactions that make Quirt's badman not such a badman. Its almost like he was very good at channelling other charcters's emotions and projecting them to the audience.

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

He's fantastic in that brief, but telling scene. It may very well be the most believable performance in the movie.