SILVERADO

mrsl

SILVERADO

Post by mrsl »

There was a reference to a thread about Silverado but the search didn't find it, so I'm doing one here. I would like to hear comments from its' fans as well as those who don't care for it.

At one time someone stated it as an equal to The Man Who Shot LIberty Valence and The Searchers. Although it's a good western, it is far from equal to those films. Oddly, I happened to watch all three of them the other day. In the morning I watched The Searchers, around noon Liberty Valence, and mid afternoon was Silverado. To me the shining star was Linda Hunt but she is the eye catcher in everything she does. I love her in NCIS: Los Angeles. All four main characters, along with Brian Denehey are outstanding in their roles. They all bring comedy, grief, charm and strength as four good guys against one bad man who has an iron fist. In the special selections of the CD someone says it was to be an homage to earlier westerns but again it doesn't quite reach that height of grandeur. The camera did not fully make use of the desert scenery, and as has become a standard of photography, no body language is ever used, most scenes are given with only head shots, costumes are barely necessary, because we rarely see the actors body. In all, Silverado tried to be a large in scope motion picture, but it was really only a good little western, that was a bit longer than the norm. Pitted against something like The Magnificent Seven, Silverado loses every time. The Mag Seven was to be a 'little western', but because of the stirring music and the lusty lead actors, it became more of a homage than Silverado could ever hope to be.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie a lot (this is about the 4th viewing), but it's kind of like calling every older movie, made before 1960 a 'classic'. Silverado is not a classic western, but a good western and worthy of recommendation to someone who is new to the genre of the western film.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: SILVERADO

Post by movieman1957 »

Like you I like "Silverado." I think it as kind of a "kitchen sink" plot. An homage to all the plot lines of westerns. It hardly meets the standards of the others you mention but I don't think it tries to get there. I think Kasdan wanted a good solid western like most of the old ones were.

I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. There is a great deal of subtle humor and I think that is part of its charm. First rate performances all around but Costner is close too being too much for me. As far as Linda Hunt is concerned the best moment for her is when she discovers the Cobb (Dennehy) is holding her "hostage" against Paden's (Kline) loyalty. Her slight movement of her eyes and an ever so small hint of a smile shows that she is both surprised and flattered at the same time.

It is just a fun film. For me it is just right for repeated viewings.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

I have been a fan of this film since it came out at the theaters over 20+ years ago. I recalled thinking back then how "traditional" it was in its salute to the old style westerns I had always known and loved, right down to the shoot out in the street.

mrsl, I agree that Silverado may not quite reach the mark compared to some of the long standing classic westerns it sometimes gets compared to, but I am also with you that it is a fine little movie in it's own right. I think it was a good homage to the way westerns USED to be done. And you are also right about the actors too. It is THE movie I think of first for... oh... let's see.. Brian Dennehy, Kevin Kline, Linda Hunt, AND Kevin Costner (although I am sure they are all remembered more by most people for their many OTHER performances) For some reason.. THIS is the film I just really enjoyed them all the most. OH... and wasn't that John Cleese a HOOT!! ha.

But for me, my favorite scenes were with Dennehy... MY GOLLY wasn't that Cobb a PIECE of worK?? ha. What a GREAT bad guy. When he shows Paden his badge for the first time... that look on his face says it all... it was as if he'd founded his own private resort for bad guys everywhere and was just inviting Paden along for the fun.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I liked the way John Cleese had to play chess (or checkers) with himself.

I guess my problem with the movie was the way it tried to be several different kinds of westerns at once. Still, I far prefer this one to Clint Eastwood's "Pale Rider," which came out at around the same time.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I love this movie ... I love this movie ...

This movie is one of my favorites ... I can't get enough of this.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Tell us why. :)
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

SILVERADO

It's starred four rowdy misfits that came to a town called Silverado. They encountered many perils and dangers - the quartet of Kevin Kline, Scott Glenn, Kevin Costner, and Danny Glover had a difficult time making things right in a town that full of injustice that can literally bleed a man dry.

When this movie came out in 1985 - I had to watch this movie at least 2-3 times to get the full understanding of this movie because its has so many twists and turns that every time they tried to make things right - another set of troubles arise to take this place. Silverado housed a crooked sheriff - a man named Cobb played by Brian Dennehy that tried his best to control the town in McKenrick favor - played by Ray Baker and he is a friend of Paden and Paden (played by Kline) was disgusted the way he turned out and challenge the crooked sheriff to a duel and won.

By doing this, its set the series of motions that the four main characters defeated each of its adversaries and set the town of the town from injustice in the world to proper justice in the world - my way of saying - correct the "wrongs" in this shady town of Silverado and Paden played by Kevin Kline - stayed in town as the new sheriff replacing Brian Dennehy (who was killed earlier) and all the town felt a sigh of relief that they now have a proper sheriff to provide "good" justice after all.

The moral of this movie - is that its doesn't matter how hard you tried - their is new series of "pitfalls" that will make you stumble - but, you must put aside your own personal feelings to establish justice for all citizens in this rotten town of Silverado - where the four key players (Kline, Glenn, Costner, and Glover) tries his best to bring peace and harmony in this little town that is middle of nowhere.

That's why I love this movie - I tried my best to keep it short and sweet - but the plot has so many twists and turns - that's why I had to watch this movie 2-3 times in order to get the full understanding of this movie that I enjoyed watching when its came out in 1985.

I watch this movie about 1-2 times a year on a rainy day.

Silverado rules.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Kingme -

I've heard good things about this movie before and I still never got around to it. Your description of things getting set in motion, and the four men stumbling on their path before they found a way to bring justice to the town made me really want to see it.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Jack, it's a really good movie. Lots of faces you'll recognize, in roles they don't usually (now) play.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'll definitely give it a try!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It's a lot of fun. Good action, lots of humor. (The canyon scene recovering the money is a hoot.) I don't think you'll be disappointed. "The Searchers" it is not but it is great entertainment.

Kingme:

Thanks for expanding your comments. We always want to know more. There might be something we didn't think of or missed that may give us a broader understanding of the movie. It's one of my favorites.
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

You know, there's just so many "fun moments" in Silverado [and really, how could you go wrong naming a movie for the greatest of all pick-up trucks?], it's hard to single-out one's favorites -- put if you trained an ivory-handled Colt on me, I guess I'd have to choose Paden's early efforts to 'upgrade' himself back to decent gear after getting dry-gulched.
Which of course culminates in what is likely my single favorite scene - when Paden [no first name for this hombre, thank you!] spots his beloved, pilfered Stetson in the saloon in Turleigh, and then recognizes the thief who's still wearing it; the camera work & editing that close that exchange, as first Paden's eyes, and then our POV, track the arc of that dislodged hat, even as the dying goon collapses off-camera, shows indisputably the deep & abiding admiration Kasdan has for the mythos of the Wild West cinema of both Ford and Leone.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

And the way the hat rumbles around before it settles.

One of my favorite lines is when they go off on their canyon rescue and Scott Glenn tells Costner to keep an eye on the wagon train. One of the men questions their return. Glenn says something to the effect "if we don't come back then you can keep my brother."

Fun lines like that thrown all the way through the film.
Chris

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

movieman1957 wrote:And the way the hat rumbles around before it settles.

One of my favorite lines is when they go off on their canyon rescue and Scott Glenn tells Costner to keep an eye on the wagon train. One of the men questions their return. Glenn says something to the effect "if we don't come back then you can keep my brother."

Fun lines like that thrown all the way through the film.
That's my favorite part of the movie - thank you for jarring my memory - thanks movieman1957 ... appreciate all the comments - I did not anticipate that my review will bring about 4-5 response to this wonderful movie made in 1985.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are welcome. It is always about the discussion so write as much as you care to share. You never know how far a discussion will go.
Chris