She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

pvitari

Re: She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Post by pvitari »

Rolling right along... now a little over halfway through the film.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this shot of John Wayne.

Two of the many faces of Mildred Natwick.

More beauty from Mother Nature

Various...

As formal a composition as you could look for -- appropriate for the burial of a very formal Southern gentleman.

So here's Ben playing (so he always claimed) himself, but himself is oozing grief from every pore, just by gazing forlornly at that flag and that coffin, no doubt reflecting on everything that was lost in the past few years. (Ben and acting is a whole 'nother topic to get into but not here.) Like so many Ford characters (including Travis in Wagon Master), there's an enormous history behind Tyree (and everyone in the movie), enriching these characters, making them round and whole even when they seem, on the surface, to be cliches. We don't know all the details, but we can imagine.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Nicely said, P.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

More, and it looks to me like all of these (like the funeral of "Trooper Smith") were shot on a soundstage. :)

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this one was an oil painting, not film.

Time for the arrow flying through the air and thwacking into an actor's chest trick again! That's Paul Fix on the left, Harry Woods on the right. You can make out -- barely -- the slight horizontal blur of the arrow as it flies through the air straight towards Woods' chest.

Two frames later...

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Today's batch.

Mike Dugan, who played Sgt. Hochbauer, the bugler, seems to have LOVED making his horse rear. Every time he gallops up somewhere and then stops the horse, it rears. In this scene, he made it rear twice! ;)

I believe this is the first time Ben and Joanne Dru are in the same shot together. Who knew that a year later they'd make sparks fly in Wagon Master? :)

The biggest slice of Irish ham ever!

(Very tasty stuff, that Irish ham.)

Ben on a horse. Just where he should be. :)

I picked this one because you can see the dog. I just LOVE it that two dogs accompany the cavalry troupe throughout the movie. We frequently hear them barking on the soundtrack. ;)

I liked the composition of this one.

Another slice of ham. :)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I LOVE pensive George O'Brien.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I LOVE pensive George O'Brien.
I love George O'Brien as a general proposition, but that shot is a keeper, isn't it? I made a number of screencaps of O'Brien from that scene and that's the one that grabbed me the most.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Leon Ames and George O'Brien. Separated at birth?

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

And after our discussion re Photobucket in the Ben Johnson thread, here are some more SWAYR screencaps courtesy Photobucket (though no Ben). :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I have this nebulous theory that Olivia (Joanne Dru) is secretly in love with Nathan Brittles, which is why she interrupts him at the graveyard, kisses Lt. Colhill in front of Nathan, and generally makes trouble, i.e., tries to attract his attention. She may not even realize she's in love with him.

Am I full of it, or is there something to go on?

Meanwhile, the bar fight, my least favorite scene in the movie and if it had been cut, I wouldn't have minded. Brittles' rationale for instigating the brawl is weak IMHO -- it screams (to me at least) "John Ford wanted some more Irish blarney from Victor McLaglen, plus wanted to give brother Francis some camera time, and wanted the boys to alternately slug it out and drink together." Well, at least it does get Francis into the movie! That's always good. :)

But I'm glad I got past it, now on to the more important stuff -- what's happening with C Troop and that glorious sunset scene between Brittles and Tyree.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Batch du jour. So, everyone agrees with my barely formed theory that Olivia is secretly in love with Nathan or do you think it's so far out of left field it's not worth discussing? :)

This is Chief John Big Tree. According to the IMDB, he started in the film biz in 1915! And his first movie with John Ford was the 1919 short, A Fight For Love, which starred Harry Carey. He next worked with Ford in The Iron Horse.

I couldn't resist another shot of Chief John Big Tree. He's adorable!
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Here's my 2c worth on Paula's idea about Nathan and JoAnne Dru. I think she has a "crush" on him, looks at him as her ideal man, but isn't really in love with him as much as with the idea of him. He is the ideal man by which she judges her two suiters. She knows he looks at her as a young and pretty woman, but he has known real and lasting love, and isn't interested in her. In fact, I think, though he knows she has that crush, he looks at her more as a father figure, wanting to make her a better person. "Never apologize; it's a sign of weakness"..
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here's my 2c worth on Paula's idea about Nathan and JoAnne Dru. I think she has a "crush" on him, looks at him as her ideal man, but isn't really in love with him as much as with the idea of him. He is the ideal man by which she judges her two suiters. She knows he looks at her as a young and pretty woman, but he has known real and lasting love, and isn't interested in her. In fact, I think, though he knows she has that crush, he looks at her more as a father figure, wanting to make her a better person. "Never apologize; it's a sign of weakness"..
Hiya, Knitwit! Re Nathan: Not only do I NOT think he has any romantic feelings for Olivia, I don't think he even regards her as a daughter-substitute. In fact, I don't think he gives her any thought whatsoever unless she is directly in his view trying to get his attention. ;) Nathan is all about his lost family and his other family, the cavalry. (I just love the way he's so utterly THRILLED when he receives the news of his appointment as Chief of Scouts.) If there is any one character who substitutes for his lost children, it would be Tyree as a quasi-son (and young version of Brittles... in my post-the-actual-movie SWAYR world, Brittles will recommend Tyree be offered a commission and after some hesitation -- it's the Yankee army after all -- he will accept it and join the officer corps).

"Never apologize," etc... I'm sure Jenny Cavalleri in Love Story would agree. After all, "Love means never having to say you're sorry." (I think that's B.S. but hey, I never went to Harvard.) ;)

Olivia does grow up by the end of SWAYR. The odyssey from the fort to Sudros Wells and back has shown her that there is something much much bigger out there that dwarfs her personal wants and wishes. She is gracious at the dance at the end, and her final gesture to Nathan -- giving him her corsage -- is a sweet and thoughtful one, so he will have something to bring to his wife's grave.

Well, I have finished the screencapping, though it will take me another two days or so to get everything just so the way I like it and posted online (I'm going to post the screencaps to both my regular movie page and the Ben page). Once that's done, the next project will be Ben's scenes from a movie in which he plays a fashion plate who wears a tux at a fancy nightclub where he sips the champagne and then approves of the sommelier's choice. Later on in the movie he wears a cravat while eating a popsicle. :)

Nathan's "brand-new silver watch." He sure loves that watch. :)

The most gorgeously photographed horse raid ever. ;)

PHEW! ;)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Ok, it's all posted. http://benjohnsonscreencaps.shutterfly.com

If you want to see what I'm doing next, go over to the Ben Johnson thread. :)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

All of you briefly got onto the subject of Brittles and Olivia possibly having a surreal romance. After watching the movie SWAYR very, very early this a.m., I found myself again disliking Olivia just as I did Joanne Dru in Wagonmaster, and I finally figured out why. She continued all of the unfavorable traits of Olivia over into her role in Wagonmaster. Even though as someone said, she grew up, finally after the trek through the desert, Joanne reverted to the spoiled, self serving brat she was in SWAYR. I detest both characters which caused me to form a dislike for Ms. Dru. This happens to me occasionally. Although I know fully well, it is an actor playing a part, it still causes me to turn against the actor. Both ladies were, to me, totally unlikable. I can't stand people who can't walk by a mirror without looking at it, and this is the character in both movies. You would think after all these years I would learn, and in many cases I have. I knew I had seen her in other roles that I liked, and I finally hit on the reason I couldn't warm up to her in SWAYR. However, trust me, nothing will ever change my opinion about Brando.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************