Hearts of the West

Lzcutter
Administrator

Hearts of the West

Post by Lzcutter »

I haven't seen this little gem of a western since it's original release but it has stayed in my memory like a fine wine.

A wonderful tale of early Hollywood with a wonderful western background. Jeff Bridges stars with Blythe
Danner, Andy Griffith and Alan Arkin supply wonderful support.

If you haven't seen it, it's coming around this Saturday morning, June 26th on TCM. If you have, here's a chance to revisit a wonderful little film.

Either way, I look forward to hearing what we all have to say about one of my favorite films.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Mr. Arkadin

Re: Hearts of the West

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hearts of the West is a great film, and I've been itching to see it again as well. I hope Bridges Oscar win will help film fans to rediscover his earlier work, much of which could have won him the award years before.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I swear I just posted this, but I guess it didn't go through.

I am looking forward to recording Hearts of the West. We have a recital to go to at noon, so I can only hope my wonky dvdr will work this time.

I have fond memories of this movie. I first saw it on TV one afternoon. I had read a good review of this movie and Smile in the New Yorker, which my dad subscribed to some years before. So I sat down and watched it.

Anyone who likes classic films or the history of Hollywood will enjoy this behind the scenes view of the early movie days. Little things struck me as very surrealistically funny and true - like the description of specific places on the body where a stunt man should take a bullet, depending on whether he was a good guy or a bad guy. I remember it being a seemingly gentle comedy with a satiric bite....I may be wrong about that.

I do know that when I first saw it, I had never seen A Face in the Crowd, or any other performances by Andy Griffith besides his television show. It floored me that here was this guy who I had seen every day of my life on reruns, taking a role that was nothing like that "Howdy, Andy" fellow on TV. It blew my mind. I was so impressed by his acting. Griffith is such a good actor, you don't even know he's doing it - and yet, he has a way of highlighting major dramatic moments with a theatricality that I love. When he brings it down to the quietest level, he is even stronger. He gave a small gem of a performance in the movie Waitress a couple of years ago. Still going strong, bless him, with more talent than people give him credit for because of his down home ways. I hope the film community honors him while they can. He's marvelous.

I also think that this film was my introduction to quirky Jeff Bridges, who had the looks to be a Tab Hunter type leading man, but whose odd, wistful and searching persona led him into much meatier character roles right from the start. This film and Bad Company were my first Jeff Bridges films. At a time when his brother Beau was the "in" actor, I discovered that Jeff was just as offbeat, and had something to offer of his own. When I finally saw Starman, a role amazingly suited to Bridges, who doesn't quite fit in his own body, I decided that Jeff was an incredibly gifted actor. Well, that quirky giftedness all begins in Hearts of the West.

One other giant plus going for the movie - it has Blythe Danner in it. I would watch any movie she is in. She can literally do anything. And she too has her quirky side. I always thought she was going to break out in a big way, but perhaps she preferred just honing her craft, slowly, methodically excelling at every role she got.

I'm glad to see all these actors still working. It is kind of amazing in a way.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was so stupid! I didn't record it! We were in such a rush to get ready for Alice's recital, I didn't even turn on the dvd-r. I could kick myself! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

JackFavell wrote:I was so stupid! I didn't record it! We were in such a rush to get ready for Alice's recital, I didn't even turn on the dvd-r. I could kick myself! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You didn't miss much. TCM's feed was messed up and the picture was unwatchable. There are many people complaining about it at the TCM site. Hopefully, it will reshow.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

WAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to work today so I set it up to record and am broken-hearted to see that there were technical difficulties.

I have been lobbying for this film for quite some time.

Here's hoping it gets rescheduled very soon.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese