Sergeant Rutledge

ken123

Sergeant Rutledge

Post by ken123 »

Over at " the other site " their seems to be a controversy in regard to the Billie Burke role and other comedic aspects in the film, also some of the " secondary Buffalo Soldiers " are knocked because of their lack of acting ability. Any comments ? 8)
JackFavell

Re: Sergeant Rutledge

Post by JackFavell »

I never noticed the troopers having any trouble with their lines. I thought they seemed authentic.

I thought Billie Burke was tremendously good, but wished her performance had more resonance within the story. She is played as a sweet old lady, but her character is actually a salacious, gossipy and rather prejudiced woman with nothing to do. Her character was used to point up the prurient natures of prudish folks who pretend to be holier than thou, while secretly relishing the details of a "scandal". I just wish the script had been more biting in it's depiction of her character.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

She is played as a sweet old lady, but her character is actually a salacious, gossipy and rather prejudiced woman with nothing to do. Her character was used to point up the prurient natures of prudish folks who pretend to be holier than thou, while secretly relishing the details of a "scandal".
Jacks,

I had no problem with Billie Burke because I thought she was just as you described her. I didn't need for anymore to be made of her performance because she (and her entourage) were to me, perfect characterizations of who they were supposed to portray. Later day sisters of that characterization would be Aunt Stephanie and Mrs. Dubois in To Kill a Mockingbird.

As for the African-American actors in the film, I thought Juano Hernandez was great. There was one soldier who seemed to be channeling Stepin Fetchit but all the others, especially Woody Strode and the fact that Strode was at the center of the film that Ford chose to make, took some of the sting out of that one performance.

This may be my favorite Woody Strode performance and Ford should get some credit for making the film in an era when this film was not the safe choice.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I guess you are right, Lz. I just wish Burke's character was not let off the hook so easily at the end.

I agree about Juano Hernandez... he was so very real. His eyes and the doubt they showed, the hesitation he brought to his lines really gave me the impression of someone who had seen bad things happen, who doubted that justice really would prevail for his friend. There was a whole history in those eyes.

I also agree that Woody Strode gave a magnificent performance. I saw a real man there, and yet he loomed large, almost mythic. When he stood and declared, "I'm a man", well, it was the most powerful part of the film. He spoke for so many, and he blew me away. I loved the way the men of his company pulled together, for him, and for each other, in order to get the job done. I totally believed they were a unit. The scene in which Moffett was ridden past them on the horse, a victim of the Indian raid, and they were calling out to him, was also very moving to me.

The bottom line for Rutledge was his military experience. The military was the great equalizer for him, a place where he would be known for his actions, not the color of his skin. I enjoyed that part of the film, it was an exceedingly fresh approach to the issues in the story.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I'm only part way through the film and I don't have too much trouble with Billie. No doubt there are people like that. I know plenty of people who can't get straight to the point when telling a story. She also wasn't going to stand on procedure when her husband is running things. She has a special privilege in her mind and also because she knows she can get away with it.

I like the way the court seemed to be even handed early on. Clearing the court room in a hurry was a good thing. I also liked the way that every time the story was going from the courtroom to the flashback the set went dark. You knew what was coming and it beats the swirling screen effect popular in TV.

I thought it important that during the early scenes in the rail depot Strode had Beecher's reputation in his mind. (And consequently his own.) But it sure put her at ease.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Overall, I enjoyed the film. Save for a few moments that were a little overly dramatic, mostly near the end, it was well done by all the cast members. Strode was quite good, I thought, especially during his testimony. The one shot where he really defends himself as a soldier and a man is enhanced by the low camera angle making him look bigger and stronger even when his voice breaks. (Also surprised to see Rafer Johnson in an uncredited role. This was still before he won the 1960 Decathlon in Rome.) I thought the climax and "Mr. Hubble" may have been the weakest part(s) in the movie. I liked Constance Towers. An easier character to like than her role in "The Horse Soldiers."

I think in some sense this film is more overt about its adherence to the book. "Just like the book say" is repeated often literally and in practice. The frequent referring to the manual for the trial. The letter of the law followed without question even when Rutledge and Cantrell are on the patrol. Skidmore's reference to oath and duty along with the other references all go to something higher than themselves and all willing to abide by their oath. Rutledge says the cavalry is his home he wants nothing to do with disrespecting it.

I like early on in the rail depot how Rutledge and Beecher hit it off. He is mindful of her reputation to her (but also of his own.) With setting her mind at ease they settle into a team set to get them back safely. This is a sign of his commitment to the rules even though he knows he is in some trouble at the fort.

The humor is milder than some other Ford films. It is not as broad even concerning the ladies. Mrs. Fosgate (Burke) is fun. Everything from her being entitled to be there and find out everything to her only swearing on the King James Version of the Bible. I know a few folks who thinks every other edition is a waste. The "water" and the single card game is about it. Maybe the subject matter is a bit too serious.

About some of the specific shots there weren't a lot of "message" shots but the one I did like was when Cantrell read Rutledge's emancipation paper Rutledge lifted his cuffed hands up to contradict the papers. One I thought was a bit much was the night camp shot of Rutledge on guard. A little too "Superman" like that I thought it cheeky. Miss G, you mentioned the pivot of the men, I thought it a little too choreographed but it is an important shot.

One bad shot was the closeup of Lucy dead on the floor, though her eyes are closed you can see them move. Where was the editor, director, etc on that one.

"Just like the book say."
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

After whining about Encore showing different films, the other day I sat and watched Sergeant Rutledge for the first time in ages. Now, I can't imagine why it didn't get more attention than it did, unless it was because it was filmed and released during so much of the Civil Rights movement and it's trials and tribulations. That's a real shame though, because it was a fine film and deserved a lot more acclaim. Also, I never realized it was directed by Papa Ford. Watching it on Sunday, I should have recognized his style but I didn't. Woody Strode (Rutledge) has been a favorite of mine since I saw him in The Last Voyage, when he helped Robert Stack free Dorothy Malone from a downed beam during a ship wreck. He really stood out in that film as a strong but silent man who knew himself and what he was about, and again in Sergeant Rutledge he was the stoic defendant who knew that whatever he said, would not help his case and he would have to wait and hope his attorney could prove his innocence. Fortunately his military tribunal was more informed than the jury in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Jeffrey Hunter as the attorney, gave his usual minimal skills, and Constance Towers did the best she could with her restricted lines. I like Jeffrey Hunter, but not so much on the big screen as on T.V. When he played the lead in the original Star Trek pilot, he seemed so much more relaxed, but when he is in a big movie, he strikes me as unsure of himself and emotes more than is necessary. I'm probably wrong, but after seeing him in quite a few war movies, both Western and WWII I prefer him on TV.

Besides the leads, the entire cast (including Strode), was filled with a league of character actors who appeared as doctors, lawyers, bankers, etc., on TV and in movies. These actors, although recognizable by face, are probably rarely known by their actual names. Most of them are fine actors who obviously preferred to remain as sidekicks, and in character parts since we rarely saw them in lead roles, as Lee Van Cleef, and James Coburn ultimately crossed over to. However, the collective talents of these actors made Sergeant Rutledge a fine movie, which sadly was allowed to slip through the cracks until coming to T.V. to be recognized as a better than average Western, let alone good courtroom drama. So, those of you who dislike Westerns, if you do have occasion to see this movie, if you DO like courtroom drama, go ahead and give it a try. You might like it!
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************