The Big Sky (1952)

Ann Harding

The Big Sky (1952)

Post by Ann Harding »

I couldn't find a topic dedicated to this Howard Hawks western, so I created one. It's been a good 20 years since I watched it. Yesterday, there was a broadcast of the reconstructed 140 min version. While I have been disappointed sometimes when I rewatched some films that used to be favourites of mine, this time, I was enchanted by the delicacy of the narrative, the beauty of the lanscape and the charming humour of this slow moving western. I had forgotten how the narration by Arthur Hunnicutt gave the film a unique flavour. Unlike many western, this one takes place in 1830 when trappers roamed a country that was still wild. A group of traders (mostly French) board a river boat and go up the river Mississipi to trade with the Black-Foot tribe. Kirk Douglas is a trapper who follows the group with his friend Boone (Dewey Martin). In a way, the film has little action, except for a few attacks by fur-traders. But, Dimitri Tiomkin's score draws you in with that crew on board the Mandan. They sing French songs, dance and exchange stories as they go up the river. The only other western I can think of which deals with the same period is Across The Wild Missouri, a wonderful Wellman picture -in spite of the severe cuts by MGM.
Are there any fan of this western around?
Last edited by Ann Harding on August 3rd, 2010, 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Big Sky (1952)

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw it years ago and remember enjoying it. I have sitting near my TV to watch again. I hope I can come back with something worth reading soon.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Ann:

Count me as a fan. I did plan on writing on this movie last week when I watched it, but somehow, I guess I missed it in my notes. Anyway, Arthur Hunnicutt, I just love him. His voice alone is so unusual and his method of narration is like listening to some old uncle talking about when he was a boy. Also, he has some great lines of dialog during the movie. Between seeing it last week and the previous time was probably 15 or 20 years ago but I always remembered how, after the bond of friendship that grew between Kirk and Dewey what Arthur narrated when they were leaving. It was something to the effect that: 'Two men, one willing to cut off his arm for what the other one was throwing away.' For some reason that line stayed with me and gave validation to the whole movie.

Another movie which is similar, but a little earlier in time is Northwest Passage with Robert Young and Spencer Tracy, about a group of volunteers traveling as far as they can to see how far the U.S. land goes. I believe they start out in Boston and end up in Oregon. It's a little rougher than Big Sky however.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

MrsL, It's true, I forgot about Northwest Passage. I also love this Vidor picture. Unfortunately MGM didn't allow him to finish it. So only the first part ever existed. the studio was scared at the idea of showing Spencer Tracy becoming a villain. As it stands, it's an impressive picture showing the darker side of the pionneers. The attack of the Indian village at night is really scary.
Ray Faiola

Post by Ray Faiola »

Warners' 35mm print of the 122 minute "narration" version was augmented (with narration-by-Hunnicutt replaced by original subtitles) by use of a 16mm print. I'm not sure why the sound was so poor on the inserts. I have a complete 140 minute print struck in 1952 and the sound is very dynamic.

BTW, if you're a fan of the picture's score by Dimitri TIomkin, I produced an official soundtrack CD a few years ago:

Here's the Main Title:

http://chelsearialtostudios.com/bigskymt.mp3
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I just watched my recent TCM version and while there is some good things going on I didn't find it all that compelling. Thanks heavens for Arthur Hunnicut, It was mentioned in the opening post that this is a slow moving western. True enough. It starts and stops so many times that it gets to be a bit of a problem.

With the cast, the location and the realism it has going for it the somehow it just doesn't hit on everything for me. Maybe it it's too long. Maybe, and more likely, I was distracted while watching it. But as I've said, who am I to second guess the director?

There were problems with the print. Too quick in editing at times as to cut the music or by obvious edit from another print but that is mild.
Chris

Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Chris, I enjoy The Big Sky, but there are quite a few people who don't care for it, including Hawks himself, who felt the picture "never really went anywhere."

If you're looking for a plot to this film you'll be disappointed. I prefer to think of it as a journey with moments of action and reflection, which comment on life as a whole. The exploration of the frontier is very similar to our travel through unknown territories of personal experience.

Hunnicut is the heart and soul of this movie and an experienced guide who educates the main characters (and us). Much of the film is viewed through his eyes and the great cinematography, which always stirs me to the natural beauty of our world. In short, life is many things, joy and sorrow, recreation and responsibility, trials and triumphs, but through it all, Hawks' film asks a simple question: Are you enjoying the ride?

P.S. It also contains one of my favorite drinking songs in a western.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on October 18th, 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Mr. Arkadin said:

If you're looking for a plot to this film you'll be disappointed. I prefer to think of it as a journey with moments of action and reflection, which comment on life as a whole. The exploration of the frontier is very similar to our travel through unknown territories of personal experience.

As usual you have hit on a deeper level of the film. I wasn't looking, or at least I don't think I was, for a plot. You nailed the action and reflection aspect of it. Hunnicut does plenty of that. I can't imagine anyone else in that role but I guess I never would have thought of having him, or other character actor, in such a prominent role. Hawks gets big kudos for that part.
Chris