Introducing myself to oldies

mrsl

Introducing myself to oldies

Post by mrsl »

I think you know that I am just now seeing things like Gunsmoke and The Virginian for the first time ever for one reason or another. Today, however, was a real fun day for me at the Western channel on Encore TV. I normally don't watch Maverick all the time, but I do try to catch the ones with Jim Garner, but today I got caught with a Jack Kelly episode but the fun part was that it was a take off on Gunsmoke. There was a Marshall Dooley, a Doc no-name, a deputy with a limp, and a Miss Amy or something like that. The funny thing is, if I had not been watching those old Gunsmoke episodes, this take off would have gone right over my head. The four of them sitting around a table either at the restaurant, or the saloon. Also always offering coffee which they drink gallons of on the real Gunsmoke show. When the Marshall goes out for a shoot out in the street, Doc and the lady watch while she says; "be careful", and doc just nods his head. I'm sure this all loses in the translation, but as a fan of Gunsmoke, you would definitely get a kick out of this one.

Then, talk about guest performances, I've been wanting to see the Return to the Gambler movies on Encore and I fInally got to watch them today, but the fun part was that they had almost every western star in the movie. Richard Boone was gone by 1991 when the movie was made, but several references were made to HGWT, such as 'the guy who passes out his business cards, and Lady Lee was the dealer at the big game, and she mentioned something about Mr. Paladin. But in the movie were:

Keith Caradine - Chang - Kung Fu
High O'Brien - Wyatt Earp
Clint Walker - Cheyenne
Chuck Connors - Lucas McCain
Johnny Crawford - Mark McCain
Jack Kelly - Bart Maverick
Gene Barry - Bat Masterson
Brian Keith - The Westerner
also: Doug McClure and James Drury as themselves as still working cowboys, but not The Virginian and Trampas
The movie was fun to watch just to see who was going to pop up next.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************