Viva Zapata! (1952)

Mr. Arkadin

Viva Zapata! (1952)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Marlon Brando in a sombrero? The Mexican revolution restaged (and in places rewritten) by Hollywood? Anthony Quinn winning an Oscar for best supporting actor? Okay, that I can believe.

Premiering tonight on TCM, Viva Zapata! cuts a swath--much like its angry peasants—between the simpler westerns of the forties and early fifties and the darker, more complex films that would follow. Influenced by Italian Neo-Realism, Elia Kazan’s film looks strikingly modern, while John Steinbeck’s plot probes the characters inner turmoil in ways more associated with melodrama than the western genre. Above all, the movie is unapologetic in its portrayal of the savage brutality of revolution, something American audiences must have found shocking on the film's initial release.

Viva Zapata! is currently only available in a high priced Kazan box set, so if you’re interested in joining its revolution of fans, hit the RECORD button this evening.
Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on September 27th, 2010, 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: Viva Zapata! (1952)

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks, Ark. I'll try to remember to record this one. It will be good to see it again after so many years.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I haven't seen it in years, it is available over here as a seperate disc. I'll be looking forward to hearing your opinions.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Marlon Brando did not always sound believable as a Mexican, and with his mustache he reminded me at times of Burt Reynolds.
Oh, great. I'm not the only person who kept expecting that mustache to fall off, am I? When I was a kid I confused Burt and Marlon all the time. I think Burt liked it that way. Did anyone else find the number of Noo Yawk accents among the peons amusing?
kingrat wrote:Does anyone else see the Joseph Wiseman character as a cold, soulless Communist, someone who cares only for abstract ideals and not human beings? The portrayal of the political situation seemed shrewd, with some universal situations: the weak leader (Madero), the rich who turn the revolution to their own purposes, the revolutionary leaders who are willing to enrich themselves and the ones who aren't
I thought that the political observations in this movie were quite astute--and were an indictment of ideologies in general. It seemed to me that it accurately portrayed the rage at injustice that fuels a revolution as well as the political calculations that can direct it, as Wiseman's chilling presence did. It was interesting that Zapata was portrayed as a man who could inspire love in his compatriots--but did he have any practical ideas of his own? That boy that Emilio saw in the stable stealing feed from the horses because he was starving was probably still hungry after the revolution had been won.
kingrat wrote:I do like the 1950s Brando performances where he actually interacts with other actors. In the Burn! and Godfather era, he mostly doesn't.
Too bad Marlon never did a one man show. I thought he was terrific in the scene in church with Jean Peters and when he confronted his brother (Anthony Quinn) for his corruption. I really don't see why Quinn got the Oscar for his role, but maybe I'm missing something. Was it that startling to Academy voters to see an actor shouting and being a slob in a mainstream movie?
kingrat wrote:Jean Peters had some real range as an actress. Too bad she didn't have a bigger career.
Damn that Howard Hughes. She can be really arresting --and not just because she was gorgeous and brought real warmth to everything from Captain from Castile on. I just saw her recently in the remake of I Wake Up Screaming, called Vicki (1953), with Richard Boone in the Laird Cregar part. The girl was terrific, playing her ambitious character as sympathetic and repulsive at the same time. I actually thought she was a much better drawn character than the sketch filled out by Carole Landis in the original. Can't say that Mr. Boone was much better than Cregar as the cop, though he was more obviously cracked.
kingrat wrote:...thought that visually this was one of Kazan's stronger films
I think it was because these two words were in the credits: Joseph MacDonald

After making A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945), which Kazan believed was too constrained and claustrophobic, ( though that may have helped to tell the story of these somewhat stunted lives hemmed in by the city), and the static Sea of Grass (1946), which should have been a movie with enormous vistas, he began to study the films of John Ford to see what he was missing visually in his storytelling. After seeing what could be achieved in My Darling Clementine (1946), Kazan "inherited" MacDonald when Ford left the production of Pinky. Always a man who learned quickly, Kazan absorbed all he could learn from him and other great DPs. When he worked with this particular master cinematographer named Joe MacDonald on Panic in the Streets (1950) and Viva Zapata (1952), there is a fluid immediacy in his movies

Of course, being Kazan, one of the perennially insecure but talented masters of the universe, when it came time to write his 860 page autobiography, Elia Kazan: A Life, there was no room for a brief mention of the cinematographer by the filmmaker. He made those movies all alone, right?

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

kingrat wrote:Perhaps Anthony Quinn's strong, individual presence helped him to that Oscar, along with being in one of the prestige releases of the year. I seem to like him better than some other posters here. Quinn commands the screen. It's tough to re-create the impact of seeing an actor for the first time when you've seen him in so many other roles.
I agree about career momentum affecting Anthony Quinn's recognition as a talent and as a representative Latino actor. I remember reading one of his books (either A Book or One Man Tango, I can't recall) in which the actor wrote that he was happy to win after years of struggling but that he felt he may have really deserved acting recognition for an earlier, little known film, Black Gold (1947). This movie, which featured Quinn's then-wife, Katherine DeMille, is a completely forgotten Phil Karlson low budget movie about a real Kentucky Derby winning horse owned by a Cherokee trainer. It was one of the first Allied Artist movies, and didn't have much recognition, though a few perceptive critics noted Quinn's growing power on screen. I also seem to recall Quinn mentioning that he used his real life envy of Marlon Brando to inform his role as Zapata's hapless brother, Eufemio--though I noticed it was Eufemio who gave a man being taken to prison a drink of water, while Emilio just talked and then struck the men taking the peon to his punishment. It seems that some of this rivalry emerged from the period when Kazan was staging Tennessee Williams' greatest success on Broadway. Quinn came close to clinching a little role in A Streetcar Named Desire prior to the arrival on the scene of Brando. Anthony Quinn eventually played Stanley Kowalski in the touring company and for a time on Broadway and in London. Like many skilled directors, Kazan saw that he could use this rivalry to help the movie's story and played it up for both actors.

Many believed that Quinn was a better Kowalski than Brando. We'll never know.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I've been avoiding this thread because I honestly haven't had the time to sit down and compose my thoughts on Zapata, its politics, Kazan (directing, politics, and testimony in Washington), the HUAC, and time in which the film was made vs. actual history. All of these contributed to the finished film and should be examined to gain insight (I could also use a fresh look at the movie, it's been about two years for me).

While, my schedule is on the fritz, PBS will be spotlighting Kazan on its American Masters in prime time tomorrow night (10/4) with Martin Scorsese. I haven't seen this, but I'm sure it will be interesting.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thanks so much for posting this news about American Masters, Ark. That Martin Scorsese documentary, A Letter to Elia is brand new! I can't wait to see it since Scorsese is such a terrific film historian when it comes to making documentaries (next to Kevin Brownlow, he may be the best, followed by Robert Trachtenberg, but I may not have seen enough other film history docs to say for sure). If others are interested, sometimes PBS allows these docs for American Masters to stream online in part or whole for some time after their initial broadcast.

Here's more info from PBS on this:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters ... psis/1549/

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks