The Rare Breed

ken123

The Rare Breed

Post by ken123 »

Was a 1966 western starring Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O' Hara, and Brian Keith, and another fellow named Ben something. :oops:
mrsl

Re: The Rare Breed

Post by mrsl »

Have you seen The Rare Breed Ken123?

It's quite a good movie, loosely based on the first Hereford cattle imported from England, and the trials they experience during their first winter here in the U.S. James Stewart buys them from an English gentleman who dies during the trip over sea, leaving his wife (Maureen), and daughter (Juliet Mills), to deliver and complete the transaction. The only thing that makes it a western is that it is placed in the Western U.S. There are no barroom brawls, no fast draws, and no trick horse riding, etc. Somehow, Maureen, Juliet, and James find themselves at the fort-like hacienda of Brian Keith to spend the winter months while one of their party, who had been hurt, recovers. In the meantime, the cattle are left out on the prairie, and although they have experienced cold winters in England, they are nothing like the below zero weather found on the American plains. So it is a long search to find any calves that had been sired by the original hereford bull, with which Stewart plans to start his own herd. Of course there are childish 'me Tarzan, you Jane' episodes between Maureen, Stewart and Keith, but the whole movie is entertaining and filmed in some gorgeous green prairies, and even the snow scenes are lovely with shadows and proper lighting.

If you have not seen it, I think you might enjoy it.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ken123

Re: The Rare Breed

Post by ken123 »

Thanks mrsl,
Its a nice litte western that Ive seen many times, the first being on local channel 7 on a Saturday night.. The New York Times critic called it a nice little " B " film, I wonder if the stars considered it to be a " B " film ?