THE HANGING TREE (1959)

MissGoddess

THE HANGING TREE (1959)

Post by MissGoddess »

Coming up on TCM this Tuesday is one of my favorite Gary Cooper performances in
a rarely seen, not available on American DVD western by Delmer Daves, The Hanging Tree.

Maria Schell costars with Karl Malden in a story about a complex and unusual "triangle" of
relationships between a stagecoach hold-up victim (Maria), the doctor that treats her
resultant sun blindness due to exposure, and a young man (Ben Piazza) the doctor has saved from
being shot for stealing. Lest these deeds make the doctor sound like some kind of good
Samaritan, Coop actually plays "Doc" Joseph Frail as a mysterious, somewhat dark and
forbidding character with a past who isn't about to explain himself to anyone...or
acknowledge any obligations beyond those he can control.

The movie presents us with a small collection of characters who wear different masks
and seeing the true person underneath seems to be a possible theme of the film, along
with the importance of trust, particularly when the young woman (Maria) enters the little
mining settlement stricken with blindness, and who's vulnerability places Frail in a compromising
position. It seems even in a make-shift mining camp, gossip and suspicion are always your
neighbor.

The ghosts of Frail's past are in constant jeapordy of being revealed partly because the doctor's
own temper threatens to undermine his position as the community's position as healer. Most
eager to try to expose Frail are Malden's "Frenchie" who goes down as one of the most aggravating
and despicable of varmits and a particularly looney appearance by George C. Scott as a fanatic
who also holds a personal grudge against Frail. It appears that Frail views himself as the only man allowed
to keep secrets, for he does not hesitate to put these two men roughly in their place for their own dubious characters.

More an adult psychological mystery and character study than action shoot em up, this western deserves
to be better known, particularly as "Doc" Frail is for Cooper one of the three great western
characters of his career (along with Will Kane in High Noon and Linc Jones in Man of the West)
because he is something of an enigma wrapped in a mystery...and a mighty attractive form.

Enjoy!!

http://www.tcm.com:80/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=77288
Turner Classic Movies
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011, 1:30 p.m. EST
Last edited by MissGoddess on February 6th, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Re: THE HANGING TREE (1959)

Post by JackFavell »

What a great write up of The Hanging Tree !

I may likely need another reminder before Tuesday's showing....
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I haven't seen this in many years, but hope it lives up to memory and your beautiful description of The Hanging Tree.

Pssst--Let me know Felix's opinion too, won't you?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I just watched The Hanging Tree today on Turner Classic Movie - and I just loved the scenery, photography, the story line, and tender loving relationship with the blind woman (Marie Schell) and Gary Cooper that played the Doctor - who guides her back to recovery and so forth taking care of her and paying for her needs.

This is the first time - I see this movie and I was moved deeply and I was in awe of the many meanings of life, greed, hardships, corruption, and most importantly the generosity of the Marie Schell's character to save the life of the Doctor by giving up the mother lode so that community can prosper and live in dignity. She knows that the Doctor paid for everything she needs to live and she was determined make it work - without her knowing; she was blinded by the truth and decided that her life is much worth saving unless she saved the person that saved her from the beginning. It was her unbinding faith to protect the man she loved and wanted to protect him at all cost.

I literally was moved at the end of this movie - I wanted to see it again ... Gary Cooper is such a wonderful actor and I loved him in They Came from Condura with Rita Hayworth and Tab Hunter. I just saw that movie a month ago. This great website helps me to remind myself of the wonders of the early days of Hollywood - man I wished I had a time machine to go back and watch this movie on the big screen.

What a great movie - What a great movie.
klondike

Post by klondike »

What I want to know: what happened to poor Rune (Ben Piazza), after being cornered, grappled & abducted forcibly by leering, skanky John Dierkes [remember him as nasty Morgan Ryker in Shane?] and his shivaree-type cronies, with half the town in flames?
We're redirected immediately, by cutaway, to the bigger, more pivotal plight of the nearly-raped-but-rescued heroine - but what about her fleecey-haired teen sidekick?
Was he forced to endure some frontier deliverance? :shock:
BTW, Kingme, I hear you about missing the opportunity of seeing these great old films on the Big Screen - but listen, in my book, that's all the more reason to go out & enjoy the Coen Bros' True Grit right now, when it is still up there, in the realm of Thunder & Floating Magic, instead of waiting for it to be released on DVD - - because it really is the kind that they almost don't make anymore!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

hello, kingme,

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Hanging Tree. I like seeing new fans of this thoughtful little western.

kingme wrote:This is the first time - I see this movie and I was moved deeply and I was in awe of the many meanings of life, greed, hardships, corruption, and most importantly the generosity of the Marie Schell's character to save the life of the Doctor by giving up the mother lode so that community can prosper and live in dignity. She knows that the Doctor paid for everything she needs to live and she was determined make it work - without her knowing; she was blinded by the truth and decided that her life is much worth saving unless she saved the person that saved her from the beginning. It was her unbinding faith to protect the man she loved and wanted to protect him at all cost.

"Blinded by the truth", excellent! This goes to show why the western genre is such fruitful ground for engrossing stories and can provide a setting that really sets off human conflicts and characteristics. In a modern urban environment, Doc Frail would be just another surly inhabitant but in a tiny mining community as the only physician he becomes critical and his every move has significance it wouldn't in a different milieu. Elizabeth's (Maria Schell) transformation from dependent to self sustaining and gradually back to being one with the man who saved her is beautifully described by you. I'm glad you got so much from it.

I literally was moved at the end of this movie - I wanted to see it again ... Gary Cooper is such a wonderful actor and I loved him in They Came from Condura with Rita Hayworth and Tab Hunter. I just saw that movie a month ago. This great website helps me to remind myself of the wonders of the early days of Hollywood - man I wished I had a time machine to go back and watch this movie on the big screen.

Oh, so do I! Gary Cooper is my favorite movie actor.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

klondike wrote:What I want to know: what happened to poor Rune (Ben Piazza), after being cornered, grappled & abducted forcibly by leering, skanky John Dierkes [remember him as nasty Morgan Ryker in Shane?] and his shivaree-type cronies, with half the town in flames?

Klon,
I like to think this shot implies these three are a family now, or at least Rune will always have a home with Doc and Elizabeth.
-- Will Rogers
klondike

Post by klondike »

I hope you're right, April, 'cause if my suspicions are correct, he'll need family and counseling! :|
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Time to kick myself. I'm constantly recording stuff at all times of day and night, but my landlady was coming over today and I spent the early morning doing all those little fussy things that help the apartment look all neat and tidy and forgot to copy The Hanging Tree, which I've never seen. While watching Valley of Decision (boo-coo times), I then watched Mrs. Parkington again (boo-coo times), then left the TV to get to work on sweeping and dusting, and forgot to hit the darned DVR button, uuuuurrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!! so I'm seeing red.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

klondike » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:27 pm

What I want to know: what happened to poor Rune (Ben Piazza), after being cornered, grappled & abducted forcibly by leering, skanky John Dierkes [remember him as nasty Morgan Ryker in Shane?] and his shivaree-type cronies, with half the town in flames?
We're redirected immediately, by cutaway, to the bigger, more pivotal plight of the nearly-raped-but-rescued heroine - but what about her fleecey-haired teen sidekick?
Was he forced to endure some frontier deliverance?
BTW, Kingme, I hear you about missing the opportunity of seeing these great old films on the Big Screen - but listen, in my book, that's all the more reason to go out & enjoy the Coen Bros' True Grit right now, when it is still up there, in the realm of Thunder & Floating Magic, instead of waiting for it to be released on DVD - - because it really is the kind that they almost don't make anymore!

Klondike - I'm going to see Coen Bros' True Grit tomorrow ... thanks for the heads up!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote:hello, kingme,

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Hanging Tree. I like seeing new fans of this thoughtful little western.

kingme wrote:This is the first time - I see this movie and I was moved deeply and I was in awe of the many meanings of life, greed, hardships, corruption, and most importantly the generosity of the Marie Schell's character to save the life of the Doctor by giving up the mother lode so that community can prosper and live in dignity. She knows that the Doctor paid for everything she needs to live and she was determined make it work - without her knowing; she was blinded by the truth and decided that her life is much worth saving unless she saved the person that saved her from the beginning. It was her unbinding faith to protect the man she loved and wanted to protect him at all cost.

"Blinded by the truth", excellent! This goes to show why the western genre is such fruitful ground for engrossing stories and can provide a setting that really sets off human conflicts and characteristics. In a modern urban environment, Doc Frail would be just another surly inhabitant but in a tiny mining community as the only physician he becomes critical and his every move has significance it wouldn't in a different milieu. Elizabeth's (Maria Schell) transformation from dependent to self sustaining and gradually back to being one with the man who saved her is beautifully described by you. I'm glad you got so much from it.

Oh, so do I! Gary Cooper is my favorite movie actor.
Thanks for the kind words and all Miss Goodness. I love those screencaps!
klondike

Post by klondike »

kingme wrote: Klondike - I'm going to see Coen Bros' True Grit tomorrow ... thanks for the heads up!
Good on you, KM, enjoy yourself! :D
And remember: we have a current True Grit thread running, so make sure to stop by after, and give us your opinions!
:idea:
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I watched the movie yesterday with my son, who already knew and liked the Marty Robbins song.

I thought it was an interesting role for Cooper. I can't remember him playing such an aloof, potentially unlikeable character.

It was also interesting to see Karl Malden playing such a creep. Not how I usually think of Malden, but he did a good job of it.

The movie's plot seemed a bit arbitrary, very dependent on people walking by at the right moment. Also, George C. Scott's character didn't really seem integrated into the story/community. However, once the fire started near the end of the film, everything came together, and the last scene was very powerful.

In some ways, this reminded me of "The Last Wagon," another Delmer Daves western that feels different from most other westerns.
klondike

Post by klondike »

MikeBSG wrote: I thought it was an interesting role for Cooper. I can't remember him playing such an aloof, potentially unlikeable character.
If you're interested in seeing him do it again, check out Bright Leaf, in which Coop utilizes his bloated, post-Confederate ego to wreck the lives of Donald Crisp, Patricia Neal & Lauren Bacall.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Some other comments re found in an earlier thread. I hope they add to things.

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... f=3&t=3368
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."