Johnny Cash, a movie cowboy

stuart.uk

Johnny Cash, a movie cowboy

Post by stuart.uk »

I must admit when I think of all round entertainers who made westerns I tend to think of Dean Martin and Elvis Presley, unfairly overlooking Country and western star Johnny Cash (Kenny Rogers is another)

Johnny made The Gunfight with KIrk Douglas, where the 2 stars go head to head in a gunfight for public entertainment. He played a bogus preacher trying to steal a collection in Little House On The Prairie, who was found out and redeemed by young Mary Ingles.

He made 2 westerns with Kris Kristofferson. One was a version of Stagecoach where he played Marshal Curly. Then they teamed for arguebaly the most accurate movie about the James brothers in The Last Days Of Frank And Jesse James, where Johnny played a warts and all Frank.

There was also Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman where he played Kid Cole in a number of episodes, most with his real life wife June Carter
Last edited by stuart.uk on April 18th, 2011, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klondike

Re: Johnny Cash, a movie cowboy

Post by klondike »

Then, Stu, there's my personal oddball-fave - Roy Orbison, singing, acting, playin' & shootin', in The Fastest Guitar Alive.
Hint: Artemus Gordon would be so envious, and so inspired! :idea:
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Stuart,

Thanks for sharing this ... I always thought he was a singer only ... but, I forgot that he was an actor too. I do remember vividly that he did an episode on "Little House on the Prairie". I wished he did more acting roles ...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

He also did a Columbo episode:

[youtube][/youtube]
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Johnny did a film called Thaddeus Rose And Eddie with Bo Hopkins. I think it's the right film where Bo's leading Diane Ladd,a townie, amusingly calls the American countryside This Gene Autry Country
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Johnny and June in Dr. Quinn

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

This is even better if Johnny and June