Lonesome Dove and its Sequels

movieman1957
Administrator

Lonesome Dove and its Sequels

Post by movieman1957 »

Since the discussion in the Ben Johnson thread brought this up I found we've not had a topic on it. There was one about a script from 1971 but I thought one focused on the series and its sequels might be of interest.

Directed by Simon Wincer this is usually considered a masterpiece of the television miniseries. Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Rick Schroeder lead a large cast of familiar faces on a long, long journey. I've enjoyed it and I think it has some first rate performances.

I have seen most of the sequels more by chance than any plan and find varying degrees of satisfaction with them. The immediate sequel I thought only okay. I did enjoy "The Streets of Laredo." James Garner played Woodrow Call and I think there is a depth and darkness to it that was missing from "Return to Lonesome Dove."

A prequel and another sequel populate the airwaves. They often show up on Encore's Westerns channel. "Dead Man's Walk" has David Arquette doing a rather spot on channeling of Duvall. "Commanche Moon" is a later sequel noted for a rather oddball, in my opinion, character from Val Kilmer.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Re: Lonesome Dove and its Sequels

Post by knitwit45 »

This trailer brings it all back for me...
[youtube][/youtube]
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I've never seen Lonesome Dove, and it never occurred to me to rent it. I'm going to have to correct both of those failures.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, as a real westerns fan, I think you will really enjoy this. It really makes the West seem real, you can almost smell the sweat, coffee, cows and beans!
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

"Lonesome Dove" is one of the best westerns I have ever seen. Superb performances by all involved, especially Robert Duvall as Gus.
Joseph Goodheart
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Tommy Lee (sigh) Jones breaks my heart every time! If it qualified for "Best Western....EVER", it would win,hands down, for me.
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Sure wish this would come out on Blu-ray.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The original one is -

Chris

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Yikes! I didn't realize it was already out on Blu-ray! Thanks so much for the info.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

You are very welcome.
Chris

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm so out of sync with this group, it's pathetic! Lonesome Dove was shown in order on Christmas Eve and although I didn't watch it then, I DVR'd it and watched all 8 hours today.

I didn't like it. They introduced so many people in the first episode, it was confusing who was who until they were killed. They gave us a full, hideous background on what that awful half breed Indian did but never a run down on the pasts of Gus and Call. Did I miss why they were such friends? Did one do something special for the other to bind them together forever? Why would Call do all he did at the end for Gus? These questions all stem from the
reasons for their friendship. And so much useless killing! I was surprised at the visual murderous scenes for 1989 on TV. What really scared me is the fact that I barely flinch when I see blood spurting out when a finger or ear is shot off. If it no longer affects me when at one time I wanted to vomit, what do these visuals do to our kids. I for one, have no more curiosity about all of these school shootings any longer. Our minds are numbed to violence as if it means nothing. I pray even harder for this next generation coming up and what sort of heart they have to face the disolution of goodness, kindness and love. Seriously, it's a sad state of affairs.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Anne, why in the world did you watch all 8 hours of it if it sickened you so? I would have quit after the first 15 minutes if I felt that strongly about it.
Sorry you didn't like it. It was, for me, the most realistic portrayal of what life must have been like back then. No singing cowboys in spangled suits, just hard work, loss, friendships, loves, grit.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sorry you didn't like it Anne.

I don't recall anything in particular about Gus and Woodrow that brings on the friendship other then they had been Rangers early on and for some time. (There are some prequels that get into that part.) They are certainly different personalities and that sure makes for an interesting relationship.

I think that when it came out it was the first western miniseries in some time. It told a big story in a new way. Violence and sex was part of that. I think they were determined to be as realistic as they could be on TV and that helped gather an audience. Clearly this was not going to be "Bonanza" or even "Centennial" again.

Its effect on the television western I think was huge though. I think you can trace the "Gunsmoke" movies and even Selleck's westerns right back to "Lonesome Dove." Selleck even went so far as the get the director, Simon Wincer, for one or two of his own. There was two sequels and two prequels and one tv series that come to mind but there may be more.

Twenty years later they were still working off the franchise with "Comanche Moon." The only drawback is that Robert Duvall seems to have still been playing "Gus" in some of his other western work but it's hard not to make comparisons.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Like Chris, I'm sorry you didn't like Lonesome Dove.

I'm not sure if you missed it, or maybe it was cut out of the screening (did you see it on dvd or broadcast?) you saw but they do make mention during the time in Lonesome Dove, the town, that Captain Call and Gus are not only former Texas Rangers but legends not only among the Rangers but all of Texas. Their work and the bond of friendship that developed between the two has become legendary by the time we meet them. They helped to civilize Texas and yet, that very civilization they have made possible has brought their lives to a mediocre living in a town where they are appreciated but holds no real promise for the glory days when they mattered.

Call puts together the idea of a cattle drive to Montana not only to break free from their languid life but to give them an adventure and a chance to relive their glory years.

They basically go on a road trip where they encounter past friends (Robert Urich), past loves (Angelica Houston) and Gus must once again choose between his love for a woman and his love for best friend, and Call must come to grips with that fact that he loved a woman from the wrong side of the tracks and the son from that union lives only for that recognition (which he gets from Gus but not from Call).

They travel north on what we come to realize is one last grand adventure that ends not the way that Call envisioned with them living out their days in wealth and well to do splendor as cattle barons of Montana but with Call, having to deal with the loss of the only person who managed to get through Call's tough exterior to his heart, Gus and taking him back to bury him in the ground of the state where they were legends and by taking Gus back to that sacred ground builds an entirely new legend around not only the two of them but their friendship, and this legend is one that transcends the state of Texas.

It is the story of the changing West, of changing times and the friendship that transcends all of that and the love of life that two men share and the friendship that binds them not only together but those that hope to follow in their footsteps.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

what a lovely review of this, Lynn. Thanks!