HORSES

JackFavell

Re: HORSES

Post by JackFavell »

Love that jog move! Oh it's glorious.
tinker

Post by tinker »

I think Buck was not always the best behaved horse in the world but Lorne Green loved him. This is a very funny Youtube with Lorne Green and Dean Martin (attempting) singing on horseback. Lorne is riding Buck. Buck has his own views on who is the star.

[youtube][/youtube]

You know I love watching the horses in the movies and old TV show. I just discovered a long career for one of them. In F troop Corporal Agarn rode a sorrel horse he called Barney. It had quite a distinctive strip on his face with a hook mark. He must have been very quiet because Larry Storch was not the greatest rider in the world.

I got a new series of Maverick and Guess who was Bart Maverick's horse and then a few days later I was watching MASH and guess who guested as Colonel Potter's Sophie. It was "Barney". He must have been around the movies for at leat 18 years

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
rerun

Post by rerun »

The first BUCK that I remember is the one Robert Taylor rode in his first western. It was his own horse.
Bob took great care of his horses. The original Buck died with his head in my lap. So sad.
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
tinker

Post by tinker »

Losing horses is always a painful experience. You never forget them (or the pain). I don't sell my horses so I know what it feels like but Buck was ucky to be well looked after.

Its good to know that Robert Taylor was really terrific with horses. I read about him in Alois Podhajsky's book about the Miracle of the white stallions and he was pretty brave to ride those lipizzaners given the tricks that a grand prix trained horse with a sense of humour can do.

Thanks for sharing

dee
[b]But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams[/b]. (William Butler Yeats )
[b]How did I get to Hollywood? By train.[/b] (John Ford)
rerun

Post by rerun »

tinker wrote:Losing horses is always a painful experience. You never forget them (or the pain). I don't sell my horses so I know what it feels like but Buck was ucky to be well looked after.

Its good to know that Robert Taylor was really terrific with horses. I read about him in Alois Podhajsky's book about the Miracle of the white stallions and he was pretty brave to ride those lipizzaners given the tricks that a grand prix trained horse with a sense of humour can do.

Thanks for sharing

dee
It was quite an experience having Bob tell about his experience over there. He said he showed up in a new pair of Levi's and pair of jodhpur boots for the first days rehearsal and Podhajsky would not let him ride! Ha!
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I just saw Barney as "Sophie" in an espiose of M*A*S*H...how neat to learn he had a long career like Harry Morgan himself! :)
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Pie-James Stewart's famous mount for 20 yrs, though Glen Ford and Audie Murphy also rode him. Pie's most famous scene was in The Far Country when the horse rode riderless into the dark street of Dawson, so Jimmy Stewart could fool bad guys Robert Wilkie and Jack Elam

Though not a western horse, Aldaniti played himself in Champions, when he relived winning the Grand National with John Hurt as Bob Champion

Cochiese, Little Joe's Pinto in Bonanza. Though the original horse was murdered in 1968, another pinto was brought in as a replacement. However, the latter horse as I recall was just called The Pinto. In season 14 Joe was given a Stallion from his pa as a birthday present, only for the horse to die of a heart attack a day later. John Wayne also rode a horse called Cochiese in El Derado

Gene Autry's horse had his own tv series Champion, or in the UK Champion The Wonder Horse
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Little Joe's horse was killed? How/who?!
-- Will Rogers
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Bonanza Horse Biographies: Cochise

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.com/cochise.html

Michael rode Cochise the first six years of Bonanza, who had two stunt Paint ... the stable rented for Michael to ride immediately after his first mount was killed.

April, hope you're keeping well. Here's a link about the incident
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thanks, stuart. how awful!
-- Will Rogers