DODGE CITY

JackFavell

Re: DODGE CITY

Post by JackFavell »

One of the things I like about it (which has nothing to do with acting or anything) is the use of the 1924 footage of the sailing ships from the earlier version. I swear I see that footage in about every seafaring movie ever made! It's really so beautiful, with the wind picking up the sails...
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Gee folks, sometimes I feel like my words are cast in concrete. I never said Errol was a bad actor. I was noting what others have said about him. Possibly not on this site, but on a couple of the others I post on. I totally agree that he was masterful in Too Much, Too Soon as John Barrymore. It was made only one year before he died, but I fear he may not have been acting in all of the scenes, he may have felt as if he was portraying himself, because he had such a rough life, but then again, the choices he made were his own, and messing around with a lot of women was his choice but when he started to pick them younger than his own children may have been was a little much. I also believe he was a much better actor once he was able to get out of his tights, and do more realistic roles. I can't however, even start to conceive of him as Rhett Butler, because Clark Gable is so firmly etched in my mind as well as the description of Rhett in Ms. Mitchells' book. Also, Olivia's anger and resentment toward him in Dodge City was understandable, but carried on just a little too long, especially once she was living in the west for a short time, and someone probably explained to her the dangers of a stampede.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

It was on couple nights ago and I was watching another movie ... I wished I recorded off my DVR at the same time watching Forbidden Planet on TCM (I think it was!).
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I never said Errol was a bad actor

I didn't think you said that, Mrs. L. Even if you had, it would be OK. He's not one of my favorites. His characterizations were on the superficial side. Like he had one or two acting lessons, then realized he was handsome! What works for me is his choice of projects. You really don't need a great thespian to play Robin Hood. THE SEA HAWK works because of the writing and the pacing. It's not an "acting movie."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Dodge City was on Encore and I was happy to see this charming Western and I know why you all feel about this movie. But, I like it too ... the charm of Errol and Olivia ... and I forgot that Ann Sheridan was in this movie too. The color, the photography, and the whole scope of things was just I pictured it in my head while reading all of your posts here.

I like this movie and most importantly loved the romance of Errol and Olivia that done so many movies together! A delightful Western ...