Never A Dull Moment; Irene Dunne and Natalie

stuart.uk

Never A Dull Moment; Irene Dunne and Natalie

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler

I was expecting to be disappointed in this comedy modern day western, Never A Dull Moment, but acually, without thinking of it as a classic, found it pleasant viewing. The reason why I thought it would be disappointing was it was made in 1952 and was one of Irene Dunne's last films, but she was the main reason for enjoying it.

Just a few yrs before Irene played the upper class wife and mother in Life With Father, but here she roughed it as a successful music composer-singer, who falls for rodeo performer Fred MacMurray, who's main job is owning a run down ranch on the outskirts of a small town. For most of the film she wore trousers, even as dresswear,which made me think Irene played a modern day woman yrs ahead of her time. She learned how to ride, rope and other jobs involved in running a ranch.

When her 2 step daughters first appeared on the scene, it was to my delight that the oldest, but still very young girl would within the next decade would grow into one of the most beautiful women in the history of movies, Natalie Wood.

Given Irene's delightful performance, it's sad that her film career ended shortly after, though she did do some tv work. She was in her early 50s, but like Barbara Stanwyck at the same age, she not only still had her looks, but cut a fine atheltic figure.
mrsl

Re: Never A Dull Moment; Irene Dunne and Natalie

Post by mrsl »

Stuart:

It was a fun and easy to watch movie, and I more than 100% agree with you about Natalie growing up to be one of the true beauties of the screen. My only problem with it was Irene Dunne. She definitely belongs in high fashion rather than jeans, and I couldn't help wishing the part was with Stanwyck who was 9 years younger than Dunne at the time, or better yet, someone like Doris Day, or Maureen O'Hara. No matter what she's doing, Irene seems so stand offish to me. I'm not knocking her acting ability, she just doesn't fit some of the parts she chooses, to my way of thinking.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
stuart.uk

Re: Never A Dull Moment; Irene Dunne and Natalie

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne

I wonder if Irene after playing Queen Victoria in The Mudlark enjoyed a sense of liberation getting into a pair of jeans for Never A Dull Moment. I liked seeing that different side of her.

I take your point about Barbara Stanwyck. I assume Irene had a stunt double for many of the athletic stuff whereas Missy might have done most of it herself. I also think if Maureen O'Hara had been young today I'd see her as a power dressing business woman, as well as still playing action heroines. I see her convincing as a Police Captain for example