Your 10 Favorite Westerns

Rita Hayworth

Re: Your 10 Favorite Westerns

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nice List ... Kingrat! :)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Like JF, I don't really see Stars in My Crown or Treasure of Sierra Madre as Westerns, as fine as those films are
"Stars in My Crown is a gentle Western about the relationship between Joel McCrea and Dean Stockwell...." -- The New Biographical Dictionary of Film (David Thomson) at 899

"Tourneur then directed three excellent westerns for his friend Joel McCrea -- Stars in My Crown, Stranger on Horseback, and Wichita...." -- The St. James Film Directors Encyclopedia (Andrew Sarris, ed.) at 516

And both IMDb and Wikipedia categorize it as a Western, which means it must be true.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

My bad. Add it to my list! :D :D :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

One viewer at a time. :wink:
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

TCM Playing these tomorrow ...
November 29th.

8:00 AM
Apache Territory (1958)

9:20 AM
short
Old New Mexico (1940)
Note: I have been wanting to see this short for a very long time ...

9:30 AM
Santa Fe (1951)

11:00 AM
Ox-Bow Incident, The (1943)

12:30 PM
Searchers, The (1956)

2:30 PM
Cimarron (1960)

These times are Pacific Standard Time.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I compared my original list from 2007 with the one I did the other day, and they really don't differ that much. I decided not to list my John Wayne, Randolph Scott, or Jimmy Stewart in the original but I did use them in the latter one because after seeing most of them 3 and 4 times, a few have become extra favorable to me.

Thank you for the good wishes and the comments about my illness. I wasn't aware I was really ill. I went to the doctor for a routine checkup and she sent me to see a hematologist and after taking some blood, she told me 'do not pass GO, do not collect $200.00, go directly to the hospital, they will be waiting for you. Apparently the 48 years I spent smoking caused a nearly fatal imbalance in my carbon dioxide and oxygen levels. My numbers were so bad, it took literally 17 cc's of blood to get them near normal. I started to feel like a vampire's victim because every day they came in to take another 3 to 5 cc's. So, I'm feeling better now after 10 days in the hospital, and 2 weeks at a rehab home (actually a senior citizens home), which was awful. But they continued taking blood and I had to exercise twice a day (which I hate).

I have to admit that Ride Lonesome is my absolute favorite Randy Scott movie. I like Randy in it but I also thoroughly enjoyed Parnell Roberts and the rest of the cast. To me it's nearly a perfect western and has all the ingredients to make it one. The love interest brewing between Randy and Karen Steele, the relationship of Pernell and James Coburn, and even James Best as the usual tough guy with his buddies behind him but a crybaby when he's faced alone. Even Lee Van Cleef who usually turns me off did a good job, and of course the Indians attacking. As I said, it has all the elements of a fine western movie and I doubt if even a big budget could have enhanced it at all. The story itself (about Randy's reasons for what he's doing), is better than a lot of non-westerns.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Sending you best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery, Anne. God bless.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm sorry you've been ill Anne, I hope you have a speedy recovery.

My list will have only the most obvious ones on but in order

The Ox Bow Incident
The Grapes of Wrath
Stagecoach
My Darling Clementine
Fort Apache
Rio Grande
The Furies
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

a few short but I can't think of more to add to my list.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Great List ... CCFan! :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks, I'm not a massive fan of westerns but the ones I like I like a lot.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin