CHIEF CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL

mrsl

CHIEF CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL

Post by mrsl »

In writing about Longmire, it reminded me of the Crazy Horse memorial that Mr. L and I visited about 30-some years ago. When we were there only his head and arm were truly visible from the side, his face was still basically a muddle of rock and mountain. When completed, which I most likely will not live long enough to see, it will be a thing of beauty and equally as spectacular as Mount Rushmore, if not more so.

However, in Longmire, they often refer to Henry (Lou Diamond Phillips), as Henry Standing Bear. Henry Standing Bear was a real person and assisted Mr. Korczak (son of the man who engineered Mount Rushmore), in planning the Crazy Horse memorial. I wonder if the writers of Longmire had to go through hoops to get the o.k. to use that particular name.

My reason for this is, with summer just around the corner, I wondered if any of you, traveling through South Dakota (or anyone who lives there), might pick up some brochures announcing and describing the mountain and memorial. I would gladly send you the postage to mail them to me. They would be a great completion to my 35 year old scrapbook of what turned out to be our honeymoon trip, in which we covered more than 28 states. Believe me, I would truly appreciate it.

In the meantime I have to content myself with the info on the internet.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Lomm
Administrator

Re: CHIEF CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL

Post by Lomm »

I'm sorry I can't help, but thought I'd share my experience. I have been to the Black Hills many times with my kids over the last 5 years; it's a favorite stop off for a few days on our way to annual road trip vacations out west. Unfortunately, this year we are going East, to Maine, instead of hitting the frontier, or I'd be glad to pick some up for you.

It might interest you to know, however, that other than the face being a little smoother, there is virtually no change from when you were there 30 years ago. Work on Crazy Horse is almost glacially slow. I honestly doubt it will ever be finished. But it's still a fun experience to go see!
RedRiver

Re: CHIEF CRAZY HORSE MEMORIAL

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not sure, but I think I saw a movie about Crazy Horse when I was real young. I think my family saw it at the drive-in.