You've seen the rest . . . check out the Best!

klondike

You've seen the rest . . . check out the Best!

Post by klondike »

I truly hope everybody had the chance to catch the '36 film version of The Three Godfathers today; I know it's been filmed 2 (or is that 3?) other times, but for my money this one pulls far out in front to lead the pack.
To begin, it boasts some of the most radiant photography from the old silver nitrate school, and has enjoyed the good fortune of having had at least one master survive in good, solid Sunday afternoon condition.
And the cast, both stars and bit-parters, is absolutely flawless, from a prickly, scarecrowish young Walt Brennan to the darkly droll Lewis Stone, and on to the positively luminous polish of the too-often overlooked Chester Morris.
The script's a delight as well, each scene wonderfully balanced & paced (a sort of polar opposite to Stingaree), chock full of terse exchanges, back-country humor, and timely social skewers, augmented by an apparently well-miked & unscathed vocal track, given its vintage.
If you missed it today, try not to make the same mistake again. You'll only be cheating yourself!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Klondike:

I'm sorry I missed the movie the other day, and also sorry I missed your post. I've seen a couple of versions, one with John Wayne, and one was silent, I believe. But I liked both of them so much. I may have seen the Chester Morris for all I know, but with halfway decent acting, this is a story that really can't be harmed too badly. It's the kind of thing that grabs you whether you're a western fan or not. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you obviously did.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************