Questions for Kevin Brownlow

Past chats with our guests.
KevinBrownlow

Post by KevinBrownlow »

catherine

1)What a good idea. I have a collection of silent-era motion picture cameras which I always intended to load with film and put to the test...but you know how it is...

2) I think Mary Pickford was fulfilling her showman's role when she spoke of the alligator sequence. And when I interviewed her prop man Irving Sindler, he supported her, by telling me he hung upside down from a tree to catch any kids that might have slipped. I was too gullible. See Wendy Marshall's excellent book on her grandfather William Beaudine. I do hope THE HOODLUM is made available on DVD. It was seeing a nitrate print of that in the 1950s that inspired me to send a fan letter to Charles Rosher - as a result of which, he telephoned me on his next trip to England and we were able to run him that film and MY BEST GIRL. Incidentally, isn't it a tribute to Hollywood technicians that Murnau chose the camera crew from SPARROWS to work on SUNRISE!

3) Since this is the 40th anniversary of THE PARADE'S GONE BY... I was hoping the University of california press might bring out THE WAR, THE WEST AND THE WILDERNESS (this year is its 30th anniversary) which was never issued as a paperback but which contains lots more interviews. Alas, they don't see the commercial justification. To complete the trilogy, BEHIND THE MASK OF INNOCENCE, which is in paperback, has a few more interviews.

PS I hope those Gance films stand up to my first impressions from 40 years ago. Remember, i saw them on the big screen in original tinted prints with a theatre packed to the rafters. I was terrified that they would be disappointing (and some of the sound films were) and I was so relieved at their extraordinary qualities. But on the tv screen, with two long films squeezed into one evening - anyone left at the end will deserve the Croix de Guerre![size=18][/size][size=7][/size][size=7][/size]
KevinBrownlow

Post by KevinBrownlow »

moviemagz

1) So glad you like the book. As I just mentioned, THE HOODLUM is a first class film and I didn't realise it wasn't available on DVD. I wish a decent 35mm print of the second TESS could be found. i was embarrassed to see my quote about its splendid photography attached to a VHS made from a so-so l6mm print! Since then, one reel of 35mm has turned up, but that's all.

2) Laura La Plante came over here in the early 30s with her husband Irving Asher, who was running Warner studios at Teddington. I think she relaxed and enjoyed life! When we filmed Irving Asher for HOLLYWOOD we could not persuade her to be interviewed on camera. She was very charming, very funny but very shy. I recently saw a Wm Beaudine comedy called HOME JAMES in which she is hilarious.

3) Absolutely agree. I would love to do it.

4) Terrific! Thank YOU.
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

Mr. Brownlow do you know if the great stage star Mrs. Fiske's two silent films survive anywhere, VANITY FAIR and TESS OF D'URBERVILLES? I believe I read somewhere that D. W. Griffith praised her filmed performances but while Mrs. Fiske was a fan of movies (she wrote an excellent piece on Chaplin around this time) she didn't seem to think she was at her best in the medium and refused other picture offers.
KevinBrownlow

Post by KevinBrownlow »

gagman 66

1) SMOULDERING FIRES is indeed superb, but there are two versions - the domestic and the foreign. The foreign, which came from Laura la Plante's collection, has an English censor certificate at the front, and is comprised of second takes. In the American (originally elaborately tinted and toned) the performances, taken from the best takes, are all superior and the film is stronger. I hear THE GOOSE WOMAN is being put out by someone else (Televista) but the time is listed as 100 minutes, which will make it too slow. It should be run at 24 fps. God knows what the quality will be like. There are an awful lot of silents put out by people who couldn't care less about quality. One day, there ought to be Nuremberg trials for people who ruin silent films!

2) BARDELYS is an amazing find by those amazing people in Paris, Lobster. MAN WOMAN AND SIN is a masterpiece. I think there are rights problems, but it is so important that this be shown. David Stenn is writing a book about Jeanne Eagels; maybe he can release it from its dark imprisonment. Yes, the print is fine. Ditto THE COSSACKS (partly reshot by Clarence Brown, incidentally).

3) No sign of HIS HOUR. i think someone should compile a database of foreign release titles, which should be sent round to archives all over the world. These lost films could well be sitting on a shelf under a title that means nothing to anyone.

4) FAZIL is no good at all - but Hawks made a splendid sophisticated comedy called PAID TO LOVE with Virginia Valli and Fox had a gorgeous tinted original print. FIG LEAVES is also amusing but FAZIL is imitation Valentino in which nothing works. Yes, it's crazy that WHAT PRICE GLORY? isn't out there - it's already near the 90th anniversary of the end of WW1. RED DANCE is skilful hokum.

5) BARBED WIRE was only copied on to l6mm by Eastman House, but they recently did a fine blowup to 35mm on the Louise Brooks /Wellman BEGGARS OF LIFE, which was also copied only on to l6mm. Maybe BARBED WIRE will look as good. A very fine film, but did you know the original story was set on the Isle of Man? HOTEL IMPERIAL is another exceptional Negri picture which ought to be made available...there is a pirate dvd but you can hardly tell Pola from James Hall.

Thanks for your stimulating questions
KevinBrownlow

Post by KevinBrownlow »

moviemagz

I am not aware of either of those titles existing. In the 20S Mabel Ballin remade VANITY FAIR and Blanche Sweet TESS, and neither of those exist, either.
KevinBrownlow

Post by KevinBrownlow »

I hope I have answered every question.
I have enjoyed this experience.
Thank you all very much.

Warmest wishes from a freezing London

Kevin Brownlow