Scott O'Brien Q & A on Ann Harding

Past chats with our guests.
feaito

Re: Welcome to Scott O'Brien, Our Guest Star for Dec. 2010

Post by feaito »

Mr. O'Brien, thanks for everything. I've had a great time. I'll let you know if I come across anything concerning Ann's visit to Santiago de Chile. Best, Fernando
OScott

Post by OScott »

Fernando - It was neat having you participate, as you were reading Ann's biography as the week went along. BTW Ann and husband Werner Janssen returned from South America, arriving in Miami, on July 16, 1941. Prior to leaving the states it was reported that Ann was considering playing suffragist/crusader Susan B. Anthony in a stage production titled Victoria American--I have no idea whether or not the play was ever produced. If so, it was without Ann.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Wow, it's a shame Ann never played that part, it would have been so perfect. There were so many interesting roles she never got to do.

Thank you so much for coming to the SSO this week, Mr. O'Brien. It's been a real pleasure to get to talk to you.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Mr. O'Brien, it's been my pleasure -to read the book & to be participating here- and you know something? Today I went out of the city to my nephews' Birthday celebration and I took the book with me!! I found time to read more of the book, up to the point where Ann filmed Janie Gets Married!

Something else, today re-reading some vintage Film Magazines from the early '30s (in Spanish) that I own, I found an interview of Ann Harding -in Spanish of course- by Joaquín de la Horia, included in the September 1933 issue of "Cinelandia", published monthly in Hollywood, by the Spanish- American Publishing Co.
OScott

Post by OScott »

Jack - I forgot to mention the odd (to me, at least) friendship between Ann and Joan Crawford. "I cherish Ann's companionship more than any other person I have ever known," Joan confided to columnist Ben Maddox. Crawford raved about Ann's "radiance," "beautiful soul", and "lack of pretense." Ann and Joan would frequently shop and lunch together. She and Doug Fairbanks Jr., spent many evenings together (1930-32) with Ann and husband Harry Bannister. As far as admirers, Ann had none bigger than Barbara Stanwyck who stated there was no need to mention other actresses after talking about Ann Harding. "I have always hoped that my own work showed the same degree of sincerity, " stated Stanwyck in 1934.

Thanks again Jack, for participating in the Silver Screen Oasis Q&A.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much for sharing your time and extensive knowledge with us here at the Silver Screen Oasis. I hope that you got a fraction of all the pleasure that you have given us during this week of your visit. If you ever want to post anywhere or any time on this site, you will be most welcome.

Please have a joyous and peaceful holiday, Scott.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
OScott

Post by OScott »

Thank you, Moira. I appreciate this invitation and truly admire the time and knowledge you have to offer Silver Screen Oasis, Movie Morlock’s, and your own Skeins of Thought. It’s people like you who keep the legacy of classic Hollywood accessible and within reach of those who want to learn more. :wink:

“Be yourself! I don’t tread on anyone’s toes, and I don’t crave to dictate morals, manners, and customs. I expect to be free of supervision myself.” Ann Harding, 1931.