All About Ayres: The Q & A with Lew Ayres' Biographer

Past chats with our guests.
charliechaplinfan

Re: All About Ayres: The Q & A with Lew Ayres' Biographer

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I would have more understood Scarlett's desire to be with Ashley if he'd have been played by Lew, Leslie Howard is a good actor but there's not many amongst us who would prefer him to Gable.

What illness did Lew contract during his military service and how long did it affect him? Was it something that bothered him for the rest of his life?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Lesley, were you able to visit much with Lew's son, Justin, in preparing your biography? If so, what does he feel about his father's legacy? And were they close?

I also found that the foreword is by Marya Gates, and I am unfamiliar with who that is. If it wouldn't be giving too much away, can you give us a hint?

Thank you for visiting us here at the SSO!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
filmbiographer

Post by filmbiographer »

CharlieChaplinFan
What illness did Lew contract during his military service and how long did it affect him? Was it something that bothered him for the rest of his life?
During the war, Dengue Fever was widespread in the pacific, especially New Guinea where he was stationed. He recovered, but it took a considerable time to recover.
filmbiographer

Post by filmbiographer »

Sue Sue Applegate
Lesley, were you able to visit much with Lew's son, Justin, in preparing your biography? If so, what does he feel about his father's legacy? And were they close?
Justin is a very sweet man and I had several conversations with him and met him in California to see the how Lew lived in before dying, and go to lookout mountain. He made wonderful contributions, but he had very little information about his father's earlier career and because Lew was in his 60s when Justin was a child, he wasn't discussing that part of his life frequently. But he loved his father and holds his legacy as a man of peace very close.
I also found that the foreword is by Marya Gates, and I am unfamiliar with who that is. If it wouldn't be giving too much away, can you give us a hint?
Marya is a wonderful film scholar and online critic who has written primarily on silent and 30s cinema. You can read some of her work at the attached site:
http://www.yam-mag.com/author/oldfilmsflicker/page/2/
filmbiographer

Post by filmbiographer »

Being a New Yorker, I wanted to send warning, that a power outage and/or internet failure is possible tomorrow because of the storm.

If you are in the area, good luck yo you all.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stay safe, Leslie! Thanks so much for this great extended visit with us. If your visit is cut short because of the storm,come back any time you can, the door is always open. :D :D
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

knitwit45 wrote: Thanks so much for this great extended visit with us. If your visit is cut short because of the storm,come back any time you can, the door is always open. :D :D
I feel exactly the same way! Thank you.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

I hope all of you who are in New York will be safe and sound. If you've made the Britsh news, like you have, I get concerned. My fingers crossed for everyone.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

It's been great having a chance to ask all kinds of questions over the weekend. I hope you enjoyed it as least as much as we did and that you'll be okay post-Sandy. It would be great if you ever wanted to visit again and share your thoughts on any of the topics here.

Before you go, since we have many aficionados of Hitchcock films among our members, could you tell us a bit about the book you are currently writing about Hitch and the star system in Hollywood?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Thank you for visiting us Lesley, I've found it very interesting reading.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

You've offered us a great deal of insight in the life of Lew Ayres. Thanks for sharing it!
filmbiographer

Post by filmbiographer »

kingrat
Thank you so much for visiting with us. Because I'm interested in Jean Negulesco's early films, it was amusing to learn that the four principals in Johnny Belinda directed themselves. Did Lew Ayres have more to say about working with Negulesco? It sounds like Negulesco was more interested in the visual side of the film.
Negulesco was far more interested in the visuals of the film, especially because it was filmed on location which was rare for the period. He worked very hard to establish the Bay area as the east coast of Canada. But the actors, although at first frustrated, really enjoyed directing one another and Negulesco permitted them to do this. He deserves credit for trusting them and knowing his own limitations as a director.
filmbiographer

Post by filmbiographer »

moirafinnie
It's been great having a chance to ask all kinds of questions over the weekend. I hope you enjoyed it as least as much as we did and that you'll be okay post-Sandy. It would be great if you ever wanted to visit again and share your thoughts on any of the topics here.

Before you go, since we have many aficionados of Hitchcock films among our members, could you tell us a bit about the book you are currently writing about Hitch and the star system in Hollywood?
My area is fine, unlike so many on the east coast. I enjoyed visiting and will stop by again.

I'm currently working on a book called Hitchcock's Stars about Hitchcock's casting process. I'll be sure to send additional info when its closer to publication.

For additional information or questions, please take a look at the Facebook page for the book (I'll be updating with bookstore information too).
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Thank you so much, Lesley. FYI to all those intrigued by this author's work. Film critic and arts historian Thomas Gladysz at The Huffington Post has named Lew Ayres: Hollywood's Conscientious Objector one of The 10 Must-Read Books Coming This Fall. Please click on the image below for more about this honor (way-to-go, Lesley!):

Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks