The Silver Screen Oasis Welcomes Monika Henreid!

Past chats with our guests.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

The Silver Screen Oasis Welcomes Monika Henreid!

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Monika Henreid, daughter of Paul Henreid, visits The Silver Screen Oasis!

Currently working on a documentary and a biography of her father, Monika's
tribute to her father is currently airing on Turner Classic Movies as the
popular cable channel helps celebrate Paul Henreid as Star of the Month for July.

The Monika Henreid Q & A thread begins here:
http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... 95&start=0

Actor, Director, and Producer Paul Henreid

[youtube][/youtube]
The trailer for The Spanish Main...

[youtube][/youtube]
Paul Henreid and Bette Davis in Now Voyager...

In preparation for a discussion of the life and work of Paul Henreid, enjoy this collection of Henreid's film appearances:

Paul Henreid, a suave, romantic leading man who, in the 1940s and 50s, represented the epitome of continental charm. Henreid is best remembered as Ingrid Bergman's husband, the stoic Resistance leader Victor Laszlo, in Casablanca (1943) and for his classic romance in Now Voyager (1942) with Bette Davis in which he lit two cigarettes at the same time and handed one to Bette Davis.

The scion of an aristocratic Austrian family, Henreid first worked as a designer and translator at a Vienna publishing firm until he was discovered in an acting school performance by Otto Preminger, who was then Max Reinhardt's managing director. Henreid became a leading man with Reinhardt's theater company and appeared in two Austrian films in the early 1930s before he moved to England because of his anti-Nazi sentiments. There he starred on the London stage and in films, ironically being cast as a Nazi officer in Madman of Europe and as a Gestapo agent in Carol Reed's Night Train (both 1940). Moving to the US in 1940, he was again cast as a German in the Broadway production "Flight to the West".

Signing with RKO Radio Pictures in 1941, Henreid played his first heroic role as a Free French R.A.F. pilot in his Hollywood debut, Joan of Paris (1941). It was the first of many films in which he would dramatize the wartime plight of sympathetic Europeans.

In the 40s and 50s, Henreid starred in the swashbucklers such as The Spanish Main (1945), Last of the Buccaneers (1950), and Thief of Damascus (1952), and melodramas like So Young, So Bad (1950) and Stolen Face(1952). With his career opportunities as a romantic lead dwindling, he switched to producing and directing, especially on TV, where he directed numerous episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", "The Schlitz Playhouse", "G.E. Theater", "Maverick" and "Bracken's World". In 1964, Henreid reteamed with his "Now, Voyager" and "Deception" (1946) co-star Bette Davis, directing her in the dual roles of homicidal twin sisters in the suspense melodrama Dead Ringer.
Richard Conte, Paul Henreid, June Havoc, Lauren Bacall, and Humphrey Bogart preparing to attend HUAC hearings...

Blacklisted in all German-speaking countries in the 30s, England in the 40s, and America in the 50s, Henreid's life in some ways mirrored that of his iconic character Victor Lazlo in Casablanca, but even surpassed those struggles in his private life.

The Silver Screen Oasis is proud to welcome Monika Henreid!

Monika Henreid in Club TCM at the Turner Classic Film Festival 2013...
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: The Silver Screen Oasis Welcomes Monika Henreid!

Monika, we are so happy you are able to join us this weekend from Los Angeles to answer questions from our members!
July is a special month at Turner Classic Movies because Paul Henreid is Star of the Month, and his films will be screened on Tuesday evenings.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you at Club TCM during the Turner Classic Film Festival in April, and one question I did not take the opportunity to ask you was if you had a specific moment in your formative years when you remember realizing that your father was involved in a profession that was a little different from everyone else's. Do you remember the first film of his that you saw?
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Monika,

Movies Questions

Did your father Paul, enjoyed his role as General Ziemann in Operation Crossbow? ... I just loved him in that role that he played in that film.

In another iconic role ... how he worked with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca ... to me, this is one of his better roles and he was absolutely perfect as Victor Laszlo.

Television Questions

He did a lot of television work and I was surprised that he did ... I remembered him well in The Big Valley and Alfred Hitchcock Presents ... what roles on television did he likes and dislike?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these ...
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hi, Monika! I am so excited to be able to talk to you about your father here at the SSO! Mr. Henreid is a favorite actor so I am thrilled about his Star of the Month turn on TCM.

I have a few questions.

Did your father always want to direct pictures? How did his first directorial effort come about?

Two of my favorite performances came early on in his career - in Night Train to Munich, as Karl Larsen, and in Goodbye Mr. Chips as Staefel, Chipping's friend. I imagine these two movies made a big impression on audiences of the time. I know that the first time I saw Goodbye, Mr. Chips, your father's presence hit me like a ton of bricks! I kept wishing he would come back into the story later on, he made such an impression on me. :D Did he know that he was destined to become a star when he made Mr. Chips?

I find his role in Night Train to be a very layered one, with shadings that are deeper than general movie bad guys. His character is almost sad, one feels instinctively his jealousy, his torn feelings, his emotions whirling around, even as he is trying to dupe Margaret Lockwood. Another film I especially love of his is Rope of Sand, which has those same swirling emotions and fears in a very complex character. Did you father enjoy playing the bad guy? Was he always trying to find the complexity of his characters? The good inside the bad, or vice versa? These films really show him as a much deeper thinker than I could have ever imagined. Did he ever wish to break out of his good guy image to get some roles that were more of a stretch for him? Or did he like being the good guy, standing as a role model?

Was it at all difficult for you, growing up in Hollywood? Or was it a dream come true?

Can you mention Mr. Henreid's difficulties after escaping the Nazis, coming to England only to find that the English were mistrustful of him?
Monika Henreid

Post by Monika Henreid »

Sue Sue Applegate wrote:Monika, we are so happy you are able to join us this weekend from Los Angeles to answer questions from our members!
July is a special month at Turner Classic Movies because Paul Henreid is Star of the Month, and his films will be screened on Tuesday evenings.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you at Club TCM during the Turner Classic Film Festival in April, and one question I did not take the opportunity to ask you was if you had a specific moment in your formative years when you remember realizing that your father was involved in a profession that was a little different from everyone else's. Do you remember the first film of his that you saw?
Hello Christy ...
Great meeting you at the TCM film fest. ... if I may say, "...the beginning of a beautiful friendship".
THE SPANISH MAIN was the first film I remember seeing. We had a print at home and every once in a while my father would show it to friends.

And let me answer your other question in this way as it relates to the same film:
"Once upon a time and long ago, little Princess Tralala left her safe, palace gardens to visit her handsome father in his kingdom - the sound stages of Hollywood. This was the first time she was caught up by the power and magic of making movies.

She watched as all the beautiful ladies and strong men took such good care of him, bringing him food and drink, speaking in low, subtle voices and caring for his every need. She was shown a great tank, filled with dark blue water. She was told this was the great ocean and the ships on it battled for the power and control of the seas; that her father was a great Captain and hero and that the greatest of these ships was his.

But not understanding how this tall man who she loved so much could be reduced to fit into the small model pirate ship, she was scared and confused. If he could be made so small, could he ever be made whole again?
... she cried and cried.

And then once again in his arms, she was consoled by his love and his warm reassuring smile."

This is an excerpt from my up-coming book PAUL HENREID, BEYOND VICTOR LASZLO.
Monika Henreid

Post by Monika Henreid »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Monika,

Movies Questions

Did your father Paul, enjoyed his role as General Ziemann in Operation Crossbow? ... I just loved him in that role that he played in that film.

In another iconic role ... how he worked with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca ... to me, this is one of his better roles and he was absolutely perfect as Victor Laszlo.

Television Questions

He did a lot of television work and I was surprised that he did ... I remembered him well in The Big Valley and Alfred Hitchcock Presents ... what roles on television did he likes and dislike?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these ...
Hello, Erik! And thank you for the questions.

My father was a true professional. For him it was never about liking a role or a character he played. It was about doing the work, studying the character, finding "his" truth, ... doing the homework, so to speak. That also carried over to his directing. He studied the entire script, breaking it down scene for scene, character by character and blueprinting his plan...meaning camera moves, lighting, etc. Of course working with the likes of Barbara Stanwyck and Alfred Hitchcock, who were old friends, was just an extra pleasure.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Monica ... I will come up with more questions later on ... :)
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Monika, thank you for your visit to SSO this weekend. I'm wondering if you might care to comment on your father's work in live theater, here and/or in Europe.

I know he appeared twice on Broadway, in the 1940-41 season in Flight to the West (under the name Paul Hernried), and in the 1972-73 season in John Houseman's production of Don Juan in Hell, following a national tour. [There had been a second national tour of DJIH for the 1974-75 season, wherein Mr. Henreid was replaced by Kurt Kasznar in the part of the commander.] I'd be interested to hear of any thoughts your father may have shared with you regarding DJIH. Thank you.

Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Monika Henreid wrote:
Hello Christy ...
Great meeting you at the TCM film fest. ... if I may say, "...the beginning of a beautiful friendship".
Thank you! We are all so happy you are here!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Monika,

In Thief of Damascus back in 1952 ... he worked with John Sutton, Jeff Donnell, and Lon Chaney Jr. ... and a surprisely Robert Clary as Aladdin ... this is one of my sentimental favorite films of which he went out to stop Khalid played by John Sutton and to me it is one of the rousing Arabian Adventures ever ... and another surprise to see Philip Van Zandt to played Ali Baba and the 40 thieves ...

Can you share anything about this film back in 1952?
Monika Henreid

Post by Monika Henreid »

Professional Tourist wrote:Monika, thank you for your visit to SSO this weekend. I'm wondering if you might care to comment on your father's work in live theater, here and/or in Europe.

I know he appeared twice on Broadway, in the 1940-41 season in Flight to the West (under the name Paul Hernried), and in the 1972-73 season in John Houseman's production of Don Juan in Hell, following a national tour. [There had been a second national tour of DJIH for the 1974-75 season, wherein Mr. Henreid was replaced by Kurt Kasznar in the part of the commander.] I'd be interested to hear of any thoughts your father may have shared with you regarding DJIH. Thank you.

Having technical issues...will be back soon to answer questions!
Monika Henreid

Post by Monika Henreid »

JackFavell wrote:Hi, Monika! I am so excited to be able to talk to you about your father here at the SSO! Mr. Henreid is a favorite actor so I am thrilled about his Star of the Month turn on TCM.

I have a few questions.

Did your father always want to direct pictures? How did his first directorial effort come about?

Two of my favorite performances came early on in his career - in Night Train to Munich, as Karl Larsen, and in Goodbye Mr. Chips as Staefel, Chipping's friend. I imagine these two movies made a big impression on audiences of the time. I know that the first time I saw Goodbye, Mr. Chips, your father's presence hit me like a ton of bricks! I kept wishing he would come back into the story later on, he made such an impression on me. :D Did he know that he was destined to become a star when he made Mr. Chips?

I find his role in Night Train to be a very layered one, with shadings that are deeper than general movie bad guys. His character is almost sad, one feels instinctively his jealousy, his torn feelings, his emotions whirling around, even as he is trying to dupe Margaret Lockwood. Another film I especially love of his is Rope of Sand, which has those same swirling emotions and fears in a very complex character. Did you father enjoy playing the bad guy? Was he always trying to find the complexity of his characters? The good inside the bad, or vice versa? These films really show him as a much deeper thinker than I could have ever imagined. Did he ever wish to break out of his good guy image to get some roles that were more of a stretch for him? Or did he like being the good guy, standing as a role model?

Was it at all difficult for you, growing up in Hollywood? Or was it a dream come true?

Can you mention Mr. Henreid's difficulties after escaping the Nazis, coming to England only to find that the English were mistrustful of him?

Hello Jack ...
Thank you for your complimentary and insightful questions and comments.
I must think more on how to answer your question about his directing career and I promise to get back to you on it later.

I too wish Staefel had come back again : )

My father was still quite new to the English language when he did "Mr. Chips". So it was a true challenge for him to learn the dialog and make it have the correct meaning. He had done VICTORIA REGINA on stage ahead of making films in England but it was still an extra hurdle to overcome. He cared very much to be 'authentic' and 'present' in his characterizations.
He wasn't really concerned about becoming a 'star' though he did enjoy the attention and 'the perks'. He wanted to do the job well and leave a good, solid body of work.

He really enjoyed delving into a character, studying him from all angles. He WAS a deep thinker and very disciplined in his efforts to get the best possible, most relevant performance out of himself ... and later out of other actors when he was directing. He loved playing the bad guys, the tough guys because so often the roles were 'meatier', had more meat on the bones he would say. Often the leading men are written to be attractive and charming without too much back story. He enjoyed fabricating an entire lifetime of thought and action for those characters himself. He was a good athlete and enjoyed tennis, swimming, fencing, riding and doing many of his own stunts. He had a wonderful sense of humor. I think he would have enjoyed doing more light comedy.

Growing up in Hollywood ? I have nothing to compare it to. I am very grateful to have the life experiences with which I have been blessed.

Our household was very aristocratic Austrian when I was a little girl. We spoke German and French first then English when it became time to go to pre-school. My parents were both artists and intellectuals so our house was filled with many other ex-pats who had come to Hollywood to continue their careers. Writers, thinkers, musicians, producers, directors and even some actors were in usual weekend attendance. :)

And Jack, when I come back to answer your question about his directing, I will also tackle the one about his escape/travels.
'See' you then.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Ms. Henreid:

Thank you so much for being here. Sorry for the problems on the site.

I read your earlier answer about first being exposed to Hollywood and wondered how that affected your choice to be in some productions. Was it something you really wanted to make a career of or something that was more of a pleasure to do when you wanted?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ms. Henreid,

I'm so sorry to badger you with so many questions. I was hoping to draw these out during the course of the weekend... but the technical difficulties got in the way. :oops:

May I ask, do you pronounce your name Mah-nika or Moh- nika? My husband's family is from Germany and their family pronounces it Moh-nika. I've been curious ever since I found out you were visiting here. :D

Who were some of the intellectual ex-pats that you remember seeing at your house growing up?

Your father and Bette Davis seem like they had a great rapport. Is this the case?

Did he get to know or become friends with any of his fellow studio actors, or perhaps crew members? I know he was in at least two pictures with Eleanor Parker, John Qualen, and of course, Bette Davis. Were there any people from the movies who became lifelong friends?

One of my favorite of Ms. Davis' movies is Dead Ringer, it's so perfectly plotted out in front of the camera. Would you say that this is your father's style of movie making as a director? Did he have a very well defined, methodical style or did he change his style to fit the project he was working on? Did he use storyboards at all? His camera angles and blocking all seem so precise and well worked out. For instance, there's a scene in which Bette has to undress her dead sister (played by herself) which could have come off very badly, since it's obviously a double. But it doesn't, all you think about is how hard it would be to undress and redress a dead body. It's a great scene. He obviously had a mind for these types of directing problems.

I am a big fan of the movie Hollow Triumph (also known as The Scar). It's really suspenseful, and I think he gives such a complex, neurotic, and powerful performance. He didn't 'bring the character home' with him, did he? I hope not! :D I am pretty sure he wasn't keen on method acting. Did he ever tell you about his method for breaking down scenes or his way of getting into character? I know he was influenced by Max Reinhardt, but I'd love to know any specifics or stories about his marking of scripts or character work behind the scenes.

Hollow Triumph and Dead Ringer both have a delicious sense of irony. In fact many of his movies seem to have some witty or wry twists or dialogue. Did your father enjoy ironic twists in films or TV shows? He did so many Alfred Hitchcock episodes it almost seems like his irony is his forte as a director and as an actor. Do you have any anecdotes to tell about Hollow Triumph?

How About Between Two Worlds, an eerie film in which he gave a really beautiful performance?

Did he have a favorite leading lady? There are so many greats - Bette, Maureen O'Hara, Hedy Lamarr, Joan Bennett, Ida Lupino, Olivia de Havilland. Did he ever discuss directing with Ida Lupino?

Your father was outspoken at a time when it was dangerous for people to speak out against the HUAC. How did he and your family deal with being blacklisted?

Did he enjoy making Of Human Bondage? I think he's quite good as Philip, even though at first glance, he might not seem right for the part. Did he want to play it? Did he have to work to get the role?

Again, I'm sorry if I've overloaded you with questions. I just had so much to ask you about your dad! :D
Monika Henreid

Post by Monika Henreid »

movieman1957 wrote:Ms. Henreid:

Thank you so much for being here. Sorry for the problems on the site.

I read your earlier answer about first being exposed to Hollywood and wondered how that affected your choice to be in some productions. Was it something you really wanted to make a career of or something that was more of a pleasure to do when you wanted?

Hello Movieman ...
I never really pursued it as a career. I love the work, the creativity. I don't love the BS and the 'nasty' competition. I've raised a family and worked many many jobs within the film industry to keep them 'clothed and fed.' ...costume designer, wardrobe supervisor, location manager, production manager and more. I've made a few educational and documentary films since 1980 and have produced a few mega fundraising events. When business and pleasure combine, I think we are at our best.