WELCOME TO THE SILVER SCREEN OASIS, ALEXA FOREMAN!

Past chats with our guests.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Re: WELCOME TO THE SILVER SCREEN OASIS, ALEXA FOREMAN!

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

These are some wonderful questions from our SSO members, and we are so grateful for your fascinating responses, Alexa.
I also would love to hear about a Letty Lynton update if there is one.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I don't mind subtitles at all.

I probably am exposing myself as Philistine, but "Daisies" doesn't do much for me. But I loved it when TCM showed "The Cranes are Flying" a few years ago, and I'm happy to see "Andrei Rublev" scheduled.

(And happy to see a bunch of Hammer horror films scheduled for October.)
clore

Post by clore »

Thank you so much for being here. Since you're a John Cromwell fan, then perhaps you've done some legwork on this already. Is there a legal reason that has kept VILLAGE TALE off the screen? I've had TCM since the year 2000 and I've been looking for it. Granted I may have missed it, but if it aired, it must have been some time ago.

I thank you for your time, best wishes to you.
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Good morning feaito!

As to TCM-Latin America, they have totally different rights issues so their programming is made up of television shows and movies that they can legally show. I think it would be wonderful if they expanded to show silents and I am happy to ask about that.

Dodsworth! Wonderful in so many ways. The acting, the directing the casting. What I learned about this was mostly to do with Mary Astor. She is one of my all time favorites and I am happy to tell you all that she will FINALLY be Star of the Month in January. She was a straight shooter - in life and onscreen. She was a talented writer as well. I am not defending her affair with George S. Kaufman but she fell for him and did not look back. That is when her husband Dr. Thorpe found the infamous diary and sued her for child custody.
Astor was making Dodsworth during the day, and every night, she was attending night court for the custody case. I know you have probably seen all of the photographs of her in court and all the trauma she was going through. But during the day, she was on set, in makeup and ready to go. She said she was able to channel all of those feelings into her character, and yet give a restrained performance. She was always good even her few scenes in HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE.

I did love the Spanish and French versions of the Laurel and Hardy pictures and yes I think we should do more. The Spanish version of Dracula is wonderful. I will ask about the alternates.

No update on Letty Lyton or Beyond the Forest and I thought we had shown The Trial of Mary Dugan but I could be wrong

Thank you for your interest!
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

moirafinnie

BTW, I love that still of Gladys George you have posted. Another actor who was always good.

For any interview such as Kim Novak or Ann Blyth, I am hard at work as soon as their appearances are confirmed. I go through books and newspaper articles and archival interviews to provided Robert or Ben with information. I suggest questions and topics but Robert always comes up with questions that are wonderful. He is a born interviewer and asks the right question at just the right time. It is not easy to anticipate where the interview will lead, but he has the knack. And he cares, he genuinely loves movies and is curious. Ben has started holding his own also - we just celebrated his TENTH anniversary with TCM. Time flies.

For Summer Under the Stars, I have a month or two to start digging. I fact check everything that TCM is associated with if I have time. The TCM Festival, the NYC bus tour, you name it. I try to allow time to check the Now Playing but I just cannot sometimes. We shoot with Robert every 3 weeks and Ben every other month so the studio is my first priority. I fact check all of their scripts and am on the set when I am needed.

John Cromwell I believe was dismissed due to his blacklisting. He returned to Broadway as an actor and played the father in Sabrina Fair. I have interviewed James and he is eager to come on the air to talk about his father AND mother, so we really need to make that happen. We have honored John Cromwell with a month of his films in the past.

Someone mentioned VILLAGE TALE (clore) and I need to get busy on that title. RKO - part of our library - let me investigate.

Thank you !!!
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

MikeBSG

I agree not everyone will welcome Daisies but at least it is being aired.

Hammer Studios - yes - October.
And you know we are airing Stop Me Before I Kill - (that is the American title) - The Full Treatment is the UK title and is much better. Though not a HORROR movie, it is directed by Val Guest and is in beautiful black and white and filmed in Cannes. It is really entertaining with a twist ending.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hi Alexa and welcome to the Silver Screen Oasis.
Perhaps you remember me (Joe aka Mongo) and my daughter Audrey at the TCM 15th Anniversary event. I sat with Robert and discussed the film "Double Indemnity".
You were our guide to the CocaCola Co., the Gone with the Wind house and that magnificent theater
(can't think of the name...old age) at which we had a great time.
I asked one of the gents at TCM during that time about two Universal-International movies from the 1950s I would like to see again, "City Across the River' and "Girl's in the Night", and he said there shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I have not seen these movies on TCM yet. Perhaps you can check into it for me which I would certainly appreciate.
It's nice to see you here, and I still have your card.
Regards, Joe aka Mongo
Joseph Goodheart
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Mongo

Absolutely I remember you and Audrey. What a week that was. The name of the theater is the Fox.
I will check on those 2 titles for you.

I am wondering if I can report back my findings on the titles that you wonderful viewers have been asking about and any other loose ends next week when I am in the office. Silver Screen Oasis members, please check in and all next week under this heading. Can't wait to find out about these titles and also OrcoDev's father and his interviews.

Are there any Bette Davis or Dana Andrews fans out there?

thanks so much Mongo for your contribution to TCM and for remembering me.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Ms. Foreman, I am not a viewer, but I know that many fans of its stars have wondered why The Blue Veil (1951) is never screened, anywhere. Presumably it was last seen in the 1980s. Some people have advised that there may be a rights issue with the estate of the author of the original novel. Have you ever researched this, and if not, could you look into it? Thank you.
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Hello Professional Tourist:

That is a great question. It is RKO so it should be available to us. And precious Joan Blondell got her only Oscar nomination for it. I know we have never shown it so I am happy to look into that for you.

I was able to meet Jane Wyman and she was lovely.

Thank you.
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Also, that has to be Aggie Moorehead in that picture, correct PT?
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

One of my guilty pleasures is The Opposite Sex (1956) with June Allyson, Joan Collins, Ann Miller, Agnes Moorehead, Dolores Gray, Ann Sheridan, and Leslie Nielsen. Any chance we might have Joan Collins come visit about this film at the next festival?

And I believe the little girl who play Allison's daughter in the film, Sandy Descher, is still with us.

Any truth to the rumor about the Allison-to-Collins slap in that film? That it was real? I think Collins discussed it somewhere, but I don't recalls that she wrote much about it in her autobiography.

Those fabulous Helen Rose gowns and the updated script by Fay Kanin and Michael Kanin has always been one of my favorites. Ann Sheridan looked gorgeous in her scenes. Any tales to tell about this film?
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

I wanted to say thank for taking the time to answer my questions and I will write to you about future TCM Programming - I have an excellent, brief way to spice up it for all of us here in SSO.

You are very informative and a pleasant guest to us. Many thanks! :D
Mrs. Osborne

Post by Mrs. Osborne »

Thank you Sue Sue

Robert is a good friend of Joan's so I don't see why not.
I asked June Allyson about being on that picture with Joan Blondell (she was married to Dick Powell before June was) and she said it was uncomfortable.
I LOVE Ann Sheridan and asked Jeffrey Lynn about her. She was just like she is onscreen except more cussing.
I know June developed a big crush on Jeff Richards during that picture, but would have to look at Joan's book to see about the "slap."
Sandy is still alive.
We tried to interview Leslie Nielsen several times. Did you know Jean Hersholt was his uncle?

thanks Sue Sue. You are an Energizer Bunny.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Mrs. Osborne wrote:Also, that has to be Aggie Moorehead in that picture, correct PT?
Yes, Agnes Moorehead and Charles Laughton are both in the picture, as parents who (separately) hire Miss Wyman as governess. Thank you for looking into it -- I know it would make many people happy if TCM could find a way to air The Blue Veil. :)