Doomsday (1928)

feaito

Doomsday (1928)

Post by feaito »

Thanks to Beda, today in the morning (I like watching films early in the morning) I saw "Doomsday" (1928), a good Silent with some awful background music. Yes, we cannot talk of a score here, it's just annoying background music, totally out of place with what is going on the screen.

The film tells the story of a young woman (beautifully played by Florence Vidor) who has spent most of her life washing dishes, clothes, sewing, cleaning, sweeping et al and who's tired of this repetitive, boring, tiring life. She's fed up with the housework.

She lives with her father, a retired ex-army officer, whom she loves very dearly and she becomes fond of a young captain (intensely played by a young and appealing Gary Cooper) who lives in an old farm near her cottage. The only drawback is that this young suitor primarily wants her to continue to do the housework at his farm and to "spend most of her time in the kitchen". Not very appealing to Miss Vidor.

But then comes the rich owner (Lawrence Grant) of most of the cottages of her neighborhood (including hers), who more than doubles her age but is very affluent and lives in a palatial home. She married him, she travels; her husband gives her jewels, haute-couture dresses, but not love and it is even hinted that the he doesn't consummate the marriage. He just wants her as another object of his collection, besides his antiques and all his belongings; a beautiful, charming wife he can proudly display in front of his friends. She's not loved or desired by her husband. He only worries about the dresses and jewels she has to wear, he directs her how to behave, smile, etc. He treats her like a puppet.

Thus Miss Vidor learns that without love nothing has sense in life. I won't tell what happens next ;)

Florence Vidor is very good as the leading lady and there are some beautiful shots of her and a wonderful love scene between she and Gary Cooper on a haystack, in which they kiss each other passionately . In a way she sort of reminded me of Nina Foch in this film. She plays very sensitively her role. Gary Cooper is also good as the young captain she initially falls for.

The cinematography is very appealing and in my opinion some bucolic, ethereal shots and scenes, especially the aforementioned one in which the romantic leads are on a haystack, kind of predates what I saw in "Zoo in Budapest", which was also directed by Rowland V. Lee.