WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

CineMaven

Re: WHAT SILENTS & PRE-CODES HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by CineMaven »

I'm going to call my friend and see if he and I can't make a pilgrimmage over to Queens. The facade is stunning! He remembers the theatre as a kid.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

that is one impressive movie theater. i had no idea. :shock:
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

...more on An American Tragedy...
charliechaplinfan wrote:I think it's one instance were I prefer the later movie but the former does have it's merits, it feels grittier, whereas the later version is beautiful the former is more what life is really like. It's not got as many Von Sternberg touches as I thought it would have but I enjoyed it when I watched it.
You're referring to A Place in the Sun, right? I haven't seen that one. After scratching my head over this version, I would definitely like to see it.

I guess I was mostly thrown by Holmes' performance. It's like he's in a trance until the last ten minutes of the picture. I kept asking myself, "Is this a psychological study that's just going over my head?" or, "Is he doing this on purpose, or is he just a dull actor?" Even Sylvia Sidney seems to have the trance thing going on at times.

The Holmes character is by no means a sympathetic one. Even his defense attorneys, throwing themselves on the mercy of the court at the end of the film, cite his "moral cowardice." And failing to win my sympathy, I guess I wasn't all that interested in figuring out why he is the way he is.

The only information I have about Von Sternberg as a director came from a Dietrich biography -- the one written by her daughter. My take-away impression is that he could often be temperamental, petty, and vindictive. [Then again, their's was not a typical working relationship]. He could certainly be a brilliant pictorialist, but I wonder how much of an "actor's director" he was. Did he coach Holmes to "play it flat"? Or was Holmes' performance so flat and nondescript because he was at a loss as to what was supposed to be happening in the scene(s)?

There is some innovative camera work in spots, but much of the story is moved along by plunking the camera down, shooting some dialogue, and moving on. The film gets more lively and entertaining when we move to the courtroom, where the underplaying of the first part of the movie is compensated for by the (slight) overplaying of Irving Pichel and Charles Middleton as the attorneys for the prosecution and defense respectively.

If there's a moment that I would call sublime, it's when the sentence is passed. Holmes -- in close-up -- turns, looks at his mother, and smiles. First, it's a little paradoxical, given what's happening. Second -- and I would have to double-check this -- it may be the only moment in the film when we see the character actually smile. Third, it's a radiant, liberated smile that Von Sternberg stays on for a few extra beats. To me, that said, "The temporal aspect of my existence has chewed me up and is about to spit me out, but my love for you is eternal and unchanging. By comparison, this doesn't matter."

For that moment, I would consider the film worthwhile, curious dullness notwithstanding.
Last edited by intothenitrate on January 31st, 2013, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

When I walked down Flatbush Avenue and saw this, it brought tears to my eyes. This is or was the majestic LOEW's KINGS here in Brooklyn:

I'm sorry I can't rotate these pictures the way I want to.

And this is the welcome sign underneath those lights saying - WELCOME TO LOEW'S KINGS SHOWCASE THEATER:

ImageImageImage

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I remember seeing An American Tragedy, and I too was puzzled, especially after seeing A Place in the Sun. I'd like to know whether we are SUPPOSED to feel sympathy for Holmes' character... it makes me want to read the original story to find out which slant on the story is correct... the lush, sympathetic one of the 1950's film, or the unsympathetic tone of the early 30's version. I think from what I've read, the story is supposed to be cryptic, and yet we are to feel the waste of this young man's life.

Maven, did you go to the Loew's King today? Gosh I wonder what it looked like in it's heydey, I love the Morroccan cut outs.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love those pictures Theresa.

I suppose I'm so fimiliar with Clift's performance that Philip Holmes performance jarred me a little and I'm so fimiliar with Dietrich and Von Sternberg's films together that this was normal in comparison. Philip Holmes was quite a big star at this point but he's hardly remembered today yet he was in some good films. An American Tragedy is certainly a good film but A Place in The Sun is iconic, coming back to an original when the remake is so good is not the best way to view the original. I like Sylvia Sidney, she's a unique look and a great little actress.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I've always been curious about "An American Tragedy" just to get this original version under my belt. I'm also a fan of Frances Dee, and am becoming a bit interested in Sylvia Sidney ever since seeing and discussing "Sabotage." I can see her playing the sad sack girlfriend saying "I'm going to have a baby...I'm going to have a baby. WAAAAAH!! What'll I do?!" If it's not as lush and romantic as Monty and Liz, that's fine. I'd expect that from a pre-code. I'd like to make the comparison with the 20-year difference in films. Philip Holmes died young, didn't he? His father gave a good performance in "Nightmare Alley."

I didn't go to the Loew's Kings today, Wendy, though it is about a half-an hour walk from where I live. I took this pix during the summertime. A nice warm, cloudless, wind-less summer's day. Right now it sounds like a tornado is blowing past my window. If I had the money, I'd love to buy and restore one of these old palaces. But the neighborhood has changed for many of these theatres and the crowds would not appreciate the splendor. I can't quite see wasting this beautiful space for a church.

I know I know. HE's going to get me for saying that. :shock:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I know what you mean. :D Perhaps it's a good thing that a church took it over though, since they have preserved it very carefully. I wonder if those naked statues mentioned in the article are hidden away in a back closet somewhere....
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

LAWDY! << snicker! >>

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Um, that wasn't meant as a slam on the church or priests or anything.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

NO NO

Not you Wendy. It's all me. My riff. Not yours!

How 'bout those '49ers? Think they'll take the Superbowl...

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Um, I don't know, I just make the snacks. :D
charliechaplinfan

Thank heavens for the church at least they're preserving it. Why can't more old buildings be preserved? everyone seems to want it but it rarely happens.

I love Jeanne Moreau Wendy, that pictures captures her perfectly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

It's how I feel lately. :D No no, just kidding. I just wanted something deep and sombre after Loretta.
charliechaplinfan

I would say the glass is too empty for me. Fill it up.