Underworld (1927)

coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I finally got around to watching the copy of Underworld a couple days ago that Jeff sent me and I loved it!! I really like Evelyn Brent and Clive Brook (definitely one of the silent screen’s most handsome men, besides Gary Cooper of course :D ) and they were great in this one. The first thing I saw George Bancroft in was Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and it seems so strange to see him playing a bad guy here. He did a really good job though. My favorite part (well besides all the beautiful clothes Evelyn wears) was when Clive’s character is working in the bar and Buck Mulligan asks him if he wants to make $10. Then he folds up the bill and throws it in the spittoon where it gets covered with tobacco spit. Clive wants the money but calmly turns it down and goes back to sweeping. He’s not just a drunk, there’s a lot of depth to his character and we never really find out what’s really going on with him. He’s very mysterious and I like that :P .

Also Jeff, your score was great. It definitely added to overall entertainment of the film.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper