Spring Fever (1927) It's Billy Haines On The Golf-Course!

Gagman 66

Spring Fever (1927) It's Billy Haines On The Golf-Course!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) TCM premiered this long unseen William Haines feature this morning. I enjoyed this movie, but not as much as I did Haines later feature THE SMART SET (1928), which debuted on TCM back in December. Additionally, the print contained a fair amount of chemical decomposition, which was rather disheartening.

:D I thought the second half of SPRING FEVER was much better than the first. The picture took quite awhile to get going. Much more so than any of the other Billy Haines films that I have seen to date. His movies are generally quick starters.

:o As Jack Kelly a shipping clerk, who works on the docks during the week, and the links during the weekend's, Haines seems much more reserved than usual. Not his typical off the wall self at all. When his Boss Mister Waters invites him to a Country Club vacation to help shore up his golfing skills, Jack meets "Allie Monte" (Crawford) there. Claiming past acquaintance He attempts to break the Ice, but is quickly shot down.

:oops: Swiftly captivated by Calf, and Ankle, in what is actually quite a long skirt for 1927, Jack falls in Love with the demure Allie almost immediately.Though she is not impressed with him at first. Once proving his mettle on the Course, Jack volunteers' his expertise to help Allie improve Her Form. Err, Golfing-Form that is.

:o Joan's character didn't seem real well defined to me. I didn't even realize that She was supposed to be wealthy until about a half-hour after being first introduced. Maybe we are just automatically expected to surmise such, or she wouldn't be lodging at the Ritzy Club in the first place? Joan is easily given more screen time than in WEST POINT.

8) Good cast with Bert Woodruff as the Dad, who many of you may recall from his role of "Pop Dillon" in Harold Lloyd's SPEEDY. Edward Earle as the annoyed Rival, The delightful Eileen Percy as the Rich-Girl friend of Allie. Timed George K. Arthur, George Fawcett was funny as the Golf-Happy Boss who kept claiming to be his employee's Jack Kelly (Haines), Uncle because of his success on the course. Even capturing a Trophy!

:roll: The Last day of Fun and frolic arrives, and Jack doesn't want to go back to work after his vacation. He'll Marry any Girl who's rolling in the dough, so he can continue and advance his golfing career. Now is the time to propose to Allie. Before He can do so, She serendipitously drops a bombshell! The family fortune is gone! Looks like Jack's plan has backfired on him!

:twisted: Shamelessly, Kelly now target's the vainly loaded Blonde Martha Lomsdon, (Percy) as his pigeon! She still has the bucks and than some! Shortly Harry Johnson the other suitor asks to be congratulated, Allie will Wed him soon! Jack is devastated! He can't let this happen, He professes his love, and promptly tells Allie that He is" worth more than Johnson ever dreamed about!" After admitting her true feeling's for Jack, the couple run off from the engagement party and elope together!

:wink: The Banter in the Dark during the Honey-moon sequence was clever. I got a big kick out of that part. One questions did the girl really Marry for Money, just as Jack would have done? Jack has none of course, and can't even afford to pay for the Hotel Room, for one night of Wedded Bliss! Though Allie believes he's a Multi-Millionaire shipping magnet? Or does She? Some highly unexpected plot-twist's surface at the end!

:P Darrel Raby's new score sounded like Irish, or Scottish folk music much of the time. I loved Raby's score to THE SHOW, but the Music on this one was relatively disappointing. Some good romantic themes in the second part of the film. But this picture takes place in 1920's USA, not 1920's Ireland! What is the story there? The music had little feel of 20's America.

:? Overall, SPRING FEVER was OK, but I would have much preferred that they had scored Colleen Moore's recently restored. HER WILD OAT (1927). Apparently it looks amazing for pictorial quality according to Bruce Calvert. Clearly this film was not selected because William Haines Starrs, but rather because Joan Crawford is his leading lady. Perhaps this is why Warner's didn't decide to commission a new score for the semingly better remembered, and more successful SLIDE, KELLY, SLIDE (also 1927) with Sally O'Neil instead? Though the title was actually mentioned in Robert Osborne's introduction this morning. So I found that rather encouraging.
drednm

Post by drednm »

good review, Jeff.... not a major Haines film, but still quite enjoyable...