L'argent (1928) Marcel L'Herbier

Ann Harding

L'argent (1928) Marcel L'Herbier

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday, I watched this amazing film for the first time thanks to a new DVD release. This a luxury 2 DVDs edition with a lot of extra features. the editor Carlotta has done a magnificent job: pristine digital print with hardly any scratches and dust. The images are highly contrasted. But beware, the DVD doesn't offer any subs and it's R2 and encoded in PAL.

L'argent (money) is based on Zola's novel and uncovers the speculations happening at the Paris stock exchange in the world of high finance. The film feels still extremely contemporary: speculation is still very much happening worldwide! Banker Saccard (Pierre Alcover) has virtually lost his fortune after an unfortunate speculation with his arch-rival Gunderman. He lost in the process his calculating and vain mistress, Baroness Sandorf (Brigitte Helm, fresh from F. Lang's Metropolis). He meets a young aviator who has made a new airplane prototype, Jacques Hamelin and his wife (Mary Glory). He realises it's his chance to recoup his loss. He helps finance the man's project while coveting his young pretty wife.....

This big production for the time -its cost was 5 millions francs- is one of the most amazing silent I have ever seen. The camera movements are just mind boggling, so are the performances of all the actors. The film lasts 164 min, but, it flows extremely quickly. The film is featured in Brownlow's Cinema Europe and rightly so. It's certainly one of the greatest achievements of silent film. Marcel L'Herbier was already an established director when he made this film. He was given the cream of technicians of the time. Lazare Meerson for the sets and Jules Kruger at the camera. The sets were absolutely gigantic filling an entire studio. But, he never drowns in them; he keeps in mind the evolution of the characters and extract some very tense performances from his actors. Pierre Alcover as Saccard is obsessed with money and power. He thinks he can buy anyone's soul with it. His mistress, B. Helm, is equally calculating and vicious. Henry Victor and Mary Glory play the young couple trapped in the speculation organised by Saccard. The sets and costumes are just incredibly beautiful; not overdone, just tasteful elegance. In this glamorous atmosphere, the most sordid greed is raging. Money destroys everything...

The accompanying disc offers some very substantial supplements. The main one being a documentary, Autour de l'argent, by director Jean Dréville (then only 20) who was allowed to film the film's shooting. It's fascinating. It shows how the various tracking and travelling shots were achieved. They were not equiped with any dolly, so they had to invent daily a new way to move the camera with moving platforms, little cart on weels pushed by technicians, even hand-held camera, some kind of ancester of the Steadycam. We can see L'Herbier directing his actors in the most minute details. He can manage as well with two actors or a huge crowd of extra at the Paris stock-exchange (where they filmed during the three days closure at Easter time).
We also get the screen tests of various young actresses where I could recognised some famous French actresses, then extremely young. There is also a 1h documentary about L'Herbier with an interview of his daughter. The two-discs are accompanied by a nice booklet of film stills on glossy paper. Just beautiful! :D

Another major French silent on DVD!!!! 8)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a good thing whenever a new silent is released on DVD :) . Marcel L'Herbier isn't someone I've heard of, I have seen Brigitte Helm in The Love of Jeanne Ney and Metropolis, she's a fascinating actress.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I've been wanting to post some screen captures of this film ever since I got it. But I got some problems with my computer... :? Anyway, now it's sorted. Have a look! 8) This film is 80 YEARS OLD: :shock:

ImageImage
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Thanks for the review and the images! It looks like a film that shows the full potential of silent movies. The picture quality looks extraordinary, this movie seems to have retained everything.

I enjoyed Birgitte Helms performance in her dual role in Metropolis. That film featured some exaggerated acting, here it sounds as if she gets to reach to develop that vamp persona she had.
Last edited by Synnove on April 28th, 2008, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

That's a good looking movie, Christine :)
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
rogerskarsten

Post by rogerskarsten »

This looks like a great DVD -- do you know if it has been relased only in France, or elsewhere in Europe as well?

(By the way, hello again -- I remember you from another message board! :D )
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Hi Roger! :) L'Argent has been released only in France. Click here for details. Unfortunately there aren't any subs. But, that shouldn't stop you: the film is just incredible. :shock:
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

How much does the story depend on the title cards? Do they make it move forward all the time, or do you think most of the story would be comprehensible without them?
rogerskarsten

Post by rogerskarsten »

Thanks for the link, Ann! :D

I've read high praise for this film (besides yours, that is), and look forward to seeing it someday soon. And I'm especially looking forward to the French titles!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Synnove: The film is extremely 'visual' so I would say the titles are not too important. It can be understood fairly easily I would say.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

That's good. I know that a lot of the most innovative directors worked to get rid of the title cards late in the silent era. It makes the film move much more fluidly.

In my experience, if you speak a language like English which has a lot of French imported words, you'll be able to get by fairly well with French intertitles, since silents don't usually contain the most complicated prose. It's worth a try anyway. I know I tend to be too optimistic about my own language skills, but still.
charliechaplinfan

The film is extremely visual, my French is next to non existent. I got the story without reading the synopsis on this thread. It moves very quickly, Christine's screen captures truly reflect the beauty of this film.

Who says that Hollywood led the way :D