BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT at Pordenone this year!

rogerskarsten

BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT at Pordenone this year!

Post by rogerskarsten »

I wonder if this will be the first screening of the recently re-discovered King Vidor film:

http://www.cinetecadelfriuli.org/gcm/gi ... e2008.html

The Pordenone Silent Film Festival will take place October 4-11, 2008, in Pordenone, Italy.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I'm sure Kevin Brownlow will be there.... I'm sure I won't be...
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

That's tremendous news. I am a huge fan of Vidor's work especially his silents, and even though Bardely isn't supposed to all that great(based on Vidor's own opinion, and contemporary reviews), I am anxious to see it. Especially due to the clip from Show People.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I watch anything John Gilbert is in
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I'm excited that this film was finally found, even if there still are parts of it missing. You didn't get to see much in Show People, apart from that it was very romantic and that John Gilbert had an interesting haircut, but it was tantalizing anyway.

Yes, someday I'll go to that festival. It always sounds so good.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Count me in too :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Keep an eye out for this one to be released on DVD next year. Apparently all the neccessary permissions have been given and it's in the works! :D
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's great news. More John Gilbert, sigh.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
drednm

Post by drednm »

I can't wait to see this one.... Other Gilbert films still floating around I haven't seen: THE COSSACKS, CAMEO KIRBY, and the notorious HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

It's a great thing that it's getting a DVD release so soon. I'm looking forward to that.
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Synnove,

:o Where is the infomation about a DVD release? I have not read that anyplace? I sure hope that it is true? Maybe as part of a King Vidor collection. With WINE OF YOUTH, THE BIG PARADE, THE CROWD, and SHOW PEOPLE? That would be fabulous!

:) SHOW PEOPLE would be even better as part of a Marion Davis set. Although King Vidor did direct THE PATSY as well. The problem with including that title in a Vidor DVD collection, is it leaves out Marion's THE RED MILL which has been so beautifully restored. So Davies should have a collection all her own.

[/i]
Last edited by Gagman 66 on May 25th, 2008, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

I read it here on this thread. Silentscreen wrote:
Keep an eye out for this one to be released on DVD next year. Apparently all the neccessary permissions have been given and it's in the works!
As for a King Vidor Collection, that would be the collection of the year. We can hope!
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Synnove,

:o I'm sorry I did not see it in there before. Anyway at the moment the link does not work for some reason on my computer? So I had no way to check back at the present time.

:roll: This film will need a score I hope Warner's gives the assignment to someone competent. I have been waiting for THE BIG PARADE DVD each year since 2005, and it keeps getting pushed back. I am talking about the newly restored version completed in 2004. Just a hand-ful of live screenings so far, but it hasn't been shown on TCM yet, let along appeared on DVD.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I heard about the release of Bardley's from a very good source. I'm excited as well! It's supposed to be released next year through Flicker Alley I believe, so there probably won't be anything said for awhile. Maybe by the end of the year, we can start looking for news on that site.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

A King Vidor silents collection would be fantastic, I have The Big Parade, The Patsy, Show People, and The Crowd, bootlegged, but I would love official releases. The Crowd is easily my favorite silent film.