Slide Kelly Slide (1927)

Gagman 66

Slide Kelly Slide (1927)

Post by Gagman 66 »

:) One of William Hanies most popular and famous features I finally watched this one over the weekend as I added a Music score. Personally I liked this movie better than I did SPRING FEVER which debuted on TCM a few months back.

:roll: Pretty much All of Billy Haines films are quite similar in many respects. He plays the same swell-headed self absorbed stinker, who underneath all that really has a heart of gold. SLIDE KELLY SLIDE follows this same formula.

:? Make no mistake, Golden-Arm pitcher, and Heavy-hitter Mid-westerner Jim Kelly has his vices. In addition to his overbearing pompous ego, He is a drinker, and an incurable Skirt-Chaser used to the ladies fawning all over him. A shameless braggert with a lapel-full of exploding cigars, Jim is the ultimate prankster! Say wasn't that Dorothy Sebastian on the Train? Sure looked like her?

:lol: The first meeting with Mary (Sally O'Neil ) provides Jim with that rare "cold-Shoulder" from the "opposite Sex' that He's been dreading, but not before He repairs her flat-tire. Whoops, not her Car at all! Laughing it off, Jim's ready to settle in, Oh, the girls wise alright, and just before this Cad can get Frisky she makes a break for it!

:wink: The first day of Spring-training and new-comer Jim's bravado makes no friends among the grizzled vets on the club! Big Karl Dane as Swead Hanson (Say wasn't He a professional wrestler?) is outraged over the Hot-shot Rookies attitude, so full of himself! The team Manager is determined to make it rough on him. Especially, when He would rather flirt with spectator Mary, (the daughter of one of the squad's top veterans) than follow his orders! Wouldn't you know she's the Managers girl, though wavering fast.

:twisted: Kelly is a fast worker at least when it comes to Doll's, He Mauls innocent Mary in the Hotel Lobby! She resists! And Mac the manager is ready to brain his star recruit! What is there to like about Kelly. other than his athletic skill? No much! But once Jim befriends an Orphaned Street-Waif of 11 or 12 named Mickey (Junior Coghlan), who Idolies him, we begin to see the good in Kelly peeking though. Who Knew???

:shock: Poor Swead gets stuck with Jim as a room-mate! Make way for Mickey a sleepy Swead exclaims "Hey, He's got on my Sunday Japammas"! A Flip of the coin dictates if Swead will get to stay in his own bed, Heads or Tails? It's Heads Hanson picked tails, the loser. (It's a two headed coin!) And so it's barefooted sofa dreams from here on in. Surprise, Surprise Jim is mindful that Mickey should always say his prayers before retiring. Encouraged, He asks the good lord for a Yankee's Win, and a Bicycle.

8) Time moves on, Jim continues his pursuit of Mary around the Kitchen as she prepares dinner for several club members. Despite the inconvience big Swead takes a quick shine to Mickey, and attempts to dude him up. He buy's him a suit, tie and derby virtually identical to what Jim wares. Kelly is delighted, but Mary thinks ill of it. Jim supports Mary's contention and admonished poor Swead! The boy feels silly in the threads now, and they all gang up on Swead, who takes it very hard. Kelly instructs Micky to apologize, but he does so just to appease Jim. Once Mickey sees how distraught poor Swead really is, He takes it to heart. and his apology melts into a sincere one.

:( A mid season slump, and the players are growing increasingly resentful of Kelly, who continues to act as if He is the whole show. Mickey gets his bike, and is moving up in the world, but Jim has broken training for the last time, out on another bender! I a drunken stupor Jim gets a might to friendly with Mary, who is trying to prevent him from being caught. a blow up ensues with Her dear ole' Dad, and the Yankee's Star pitcher is suspended by Mac! Jim could care less until Mickey tells me off too! "We Ain't Pals No More!" This hurt's Kelly's pride and he finally starts to sober up a little.

:? A few days later. Jim and Mickey patch up their bond, but Jim comes to realize that He is as much a burden to the team as an asset. Without Jim the Yankee's still make it to World Series, but injuries have left them hurting. Mickey implores Mac to give Jim another chance. He's different now, He'll make good! Unable to reach Jim on the phone, Mickey takes his bike hoping to deliver the news personally to Jim.

:shock: :shock: Heading down a busy Manhattan Street, in his haste poor little Mickey and his bike are struck down by a passing car! The boy is rushed to Emergency, and Jim blames himself for the tragic twist of fate! Jim is given a chance to Win the 8 th game of the series, as Mac sends him in. But Kelly is rusty, and his thought's are on Mick's condition of which little is known?

:evil: Things are not going well, and the team fears they are Sunk, just than Mick is wheeled into his reserved seat by Mary, and Jim relieved to know that the bo y is alive comes to life! The old golden arm returns as we are set for a suspenseful 9th inning and an exciting climax to the series! I won't give away the ending. :?: Thanks much to my good friend Ed, for My at long last getting to see this one! :D