THE BLACK BIRD In October On TCM!

Gagman 66

THE BLACK BIRD In October On TCM!

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D I need to express my sincere graditude and appreciation to TCM programmer, for all his efforts in getting the North American TCM premier of Tod Browning's/Lon Chaney's THE BLACK BIRD (MGM, 1926) on the October schedule!

:shock: Check it out, after several converstations back abnd forth, the brand new restoration with the Robert Israel score, is now slated for the 26 th of the month, to debut on Silent Sunday Nights. Thank you very much Sir. This was most generous and thoughtful of you.

:wink: And a heartfelt thanks to all of you who requested, and inquired about this movie on your own, and on my behalf as well, over the past month, or so. This is certainly proof positive that TCM does listen to it's core audience and cares about the fans. Congratulations to all of you!

Shhhh, Mum's the word, Chaney Premier In October on TCM....

That's OK Bishop, don't worry it's no secret anymore! Tod Browning's THE BLACK BIRD will indeed debut on SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS! Go right on ahead and tell everybody!!! :lol:

:D And there is more good news for November. TCM programmer has informed me, that the version of D. W. Griffith's ORPHANS OF THE STORM (1921) with the Gish Sisters, is in-fact the brand new Kevin Brownlow-Patrick Stanbury restoration from Photo-play Productions produced in 2004! It has not been broadcast in the United States before, and hasn't been released on DVD either. So you will be seeing both a TCM, and American Television Premier come November! Thank you so very much TCM Programmer!
Last edited by Gagman 66 on August 8th, 2008, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

WOW! This is great news! A sincere thank you to the TCM programer and to you, Jeffrey, for championing this film. Chaney fans, and Silent film fans, are surely in for a treat, and that is due, in no small part, to your hard work and diligence. Congratulations! :D
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

Kevin,

:) Thanks for all the Kudo's, but I didn't really do anything, except question why TCM had been sitting on the new restoration of this picture for the past Three years, without any broadcast before? The answer apparently is they just plum forgot about the project???

:) It took a little while, but TCM programmer, eventually tracked down the presentation, and since He already had a Chaney movie slated, I made the suggestion, that it only made sense to make the change of title. He graciously agreed with me. :wink: :)

:? Now, the next step would be to try and make sure that this film is included in the TCM Archives Lon Chaney Volume 2 DVD Box set when it comes out, maybe late this year? :wink: So vote for a DVD release everyone please. To leave this movie out given the superb restoration, Robert Israel score, and the new Browning documentary slated to be part of the collection, would not make much sense. It definitely needs to be part of the collection. Warner Home Video has to be made aware of this.

:D Very excited about the brand new ORPHANS OF THE STORM too. And they also picked up the rights to Photo-play version of De Mille's THE GODLESS GIRL (1928), which I first brought up well over a year ago after it debuted on Film 4 in England. Hopefully, that might debut in December, or early next year?

Hey, send me an E-mail and let me know what is going on? Have you watched anything new lately? :wink:
Gagman 66

THE BLACK BIRD ON TONIGHT!!!!

Post by Gagman 66 »

Everyone,

:o Don't forget now. Lon Chaney's THE BLACK BIRD with Renee Adoree, Directed by Tod Browning, makes it's long delayed North American TCM Premier tonight! So what ever you do don't miss this very special event!
:wink:
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Thanks for the reminder, Jeffrey. I nearly forgot to set the DVR! :D
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS